Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Some restrictions back, fed up

Ireallydontcare55 · 27/11/2021 19:55

Just heard the news about masks returning as of next week and changes to travelling rules.

It’s not so much that wearing a mask is inconvenient, it’s the fact that we were told restrictions were over and that we could get on with our lives.

I know I will get shot down for this post, but if it isn’t the ‘omnicron’ variant then it’ll be something else.

I’m sure many people will be in favour of tighter restrictions ‘until numbers drop’. And then what? In a few months’ time when the latest variant is out, will we have to do the same again?
“it’s just for a few weeks/months”

This isn’t going away. What’s the point of having 3 vaccines?

I’m fed up with it all, are people really prepared to do this for the foreseeable future ?

OP's posts:
Please
or

echt · 27/11/2021 20:08

@Ireallydontcare55

The point that people are making ‘it’s just a mask, it’s just a couple of days of isolation, well we were told this would not be returning. This is not normal life

Where did the government say this?
Please
or

SusieBob · 27/11/2021 20:08

@Ireallydontcare55

No it’s not a hardship as I’ve said 50 times. However normal life previously didn’t involve having to wear one

Normal life didn't use to involve the internet, or cars, or lego, or KFC. Things change.
Please
or

GetTheFlockOutOfHere · 27/11/2021 20:09

@Dibbydoos

OP it's a virus, it's here with us forever, get used to changing rules rather than get ill or worse. Oh and grow up, rules change all the time!

This.
Please
or

FangsForTheMemory · 27/11/2021 20:09

@Ireallydontcare55

Why would you die of Covid ? You’re far more likely to die of cancer or Alzheimer’s.

You don't know the first thing about me, but you are making those assumption. If you want to whinge like a three year old, go ahead.

We adults will wear masks.
Please
or

AFS1 · 27/11/2021 20:09

I never stopped wearing a mask indoors. Have worn them in shops, at gigs, at hairdressers, at chiropractors, at my son’s school…it hasn’t impacted negatively on my life at all, in any way. Quite happy to continue.

Please
or

Figgrow · 27/11/2021 20:09

@sst1234

You are not wrong OP. Many many many people among us have been taken in by an irrational fear and almost enjoy having restrictions placed upon them because it makes them feel safe. They don’t mind being infantilized. The problem is these people really struggle to think for themselves. They struggle to see beyond the headlines. Their enthusiasm for lockdowns and other restrictions is doing untold damage to people’s lives. It is literally destroying peoples health - yes not Covid but the restrictions will kill more people in the long run. Young peoples futures are being put on the line, people’s mental health is being sacrificed. But hey, what does that all matter, when you can wear a mask to feel all warm and fuzzy inside and then go into full lockdown because you can work from home or watch movies all day with the kids on furlough.

But those restrictions aren't being brought back, it's isolating when returning from abroad (people have had to do a test day 2 anyway, the question is more around what's been the point when they didn't have to isolate before getting the results), and wearing a mask in a shop or on public transport, but no one will care if you don't anyway so just don't. Interested what out of those 2 is going to destroy people's mental health and put young people's future on the line? Or are you, ironically, the one being irrational and dramatic? And this is not downplaying the effect of the lockdown that has now ended, of which this is not.
Please
or

Akire · 27/11/2021 20:09

I never stopped wearing a mask when it’s the easiest thing you can do to protect yourself and others. So no change for me

Please
or

SophiesMummySaid · 27/11/2021 20:10

^Ireallydontcare55

What worries me is how willingly people have accepted the idea of wearing a mask for the rest of their life potentially^

Why does it bother you if it doesn’t bother me? I work in healthcare and wear masks/PPE routinely day in and day out. I have made my own risk assessment and my thinking and feelings have evolved in response to my experience. It is no hardship to me at all to wear a mask in a crowded indoor area, for the rest of my life if I continue to feel this way for that long.
It has been great to not have repeated colds and coughs and other illnesses for the last couple of years, some of which would exacerbate my asthma and affect one of my kids in a similar way. And we had covid in 2020 and two people in the home are still significantly affected by it , so maybe our risk / benefit balance of a paper mask is different to others.

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 27/11/2021 20:10

Oh get a grip. Why wouldn’t you wear a mask? It makes a difference to transmission. It should have remained the rule indoors as it did Scotland, Wales and NI.

People aren’t bothered about wearing masks because it is no bother - it does not stop anyone living their life, but it does reduce pressure on the NHS.

Please
or

DappledOliveGroves · 27/11/2021 20:11

I'm not going to wear a mask again. I've had Covid, I could just as easily get cancer, get hit by a bus or die of something else. Everyone will die one day and I'm not tiptoeing around a virus that will mutate for the foreseeable future.

I'm not a Covid denier. I've had both vaccines. But I'm damned if I'm prepared to live like this. And it terrifies me that there's so much willingness to disregard civil liberties in the naive and arrogant hope that we can control a virus.

Please
or

Ireallydontcare55 · 27/11/2021 20:11

This wasn’t the right place to post this, I respect people’s attitudes are differing but it’s making me feel stressed reading how people are so accepting of things. I am not and that’s fine. So I won’t post further.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NotMyCat · 27/11/2021 20:11

@Ireallydontcare55

Why would you die of Covid ? You’re far more likely to die of cancer or Alzheimer’s.

Because some of us are vulnerable? Or oh wait.. already have cancer. Catching covid on top of that would be a great idea Hmm
Please
or

BlowDryRat · 27/11/2021 20:12

YANBU. I don't really care about wearing a mask but like hell will I be stopping my DC seeing their family and friends if any of that rubbish comes back. I won't do that to them again. I won't do that again.

We're all jabbed to the nines. We followed all the rules. We've done our bit.

Please
or

mbosnz · 27/11/2021 20:12

I think saying 'we were told these restrictions wouldn't be returning', is a bit of a stretch.

It also sounds a bit like a kid saying to their parents, 'but you promised. . .'

This variant appears to be highly transmissible, possibly with an R rating of 2 It also seems to be a lot less repelled by the vaccines.

The hospitals, and far more importantly, their poor bloody staff, are already overflowing, and exhausted. That's before this variant catches hold.

I get that we're all worn out, frustrated, and pissed off. But this is where we're at. People will make their choices, but my choice is to do what I can to avoid either getting covid, or unwittingly spreading covid, along with colds, flu, RSV's. . .

Please
or

PastMyBestBeforeDate · 27/11/2021 20:12

You believed the government when they said that they wouldn't reintroduce restrictions?

Please
or

Cryalot2 · 27/11/2021 20:12

Not a lot we can do apart from adhere to the ever changing laws.

Covid is horrid and within 6 weeks almost a year ago dh and I lost 3 close relatives between us due to it. To not be able to be with your loved one hurts so much still.
We also were very ill and dh almost died from it as well. Being self employed had to go back to work early.
Long covid is no joke either.

What is the alternative apart from to abide by the laws?
We can't swan around the world like celebs for whom the rules seem not to apply to.

Please
or

Ireallydontcare55 · 27/11/2021 20:12

There’s really no need for insults or rude comments either which these sorts of debates usually result in

OP's posts:
Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 27/11/2021 20:12

Tell you what. Why don’t we just wait and see how bad this new one could be, rather than take any measures. Then when it’s done loads of damage it doesn’t matter., because you were moaning about wearing a mask.

Get a grip. It’s pathetic.

Please
or

Ireallydontcare55 · 27/11/2021 20:13

I’ve got a grip. But thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Figgrow · 27/11/2021 20:13

@Ireallydontcare55

This wasn’t the right place to post this, I respect people’s attitudes are differing but it’s making me feel stressed reading how people are so accepting of things. I am not and that’s fine. So I won’t post further.

You're stressing yourself out. Realistically no one will care if you don't wear a mask in a shop at this point, so don't if you don't want to. If you feel the desire to go on holiday then yes you need to book an extra few days off, if it stresses you that much don't go abroad for a while.
Please
or

XenoBitch · 27/11/2021 20:14

@Ireallydontcare55

Your feelings are valid, OP.
I feel similar. It feels like I am going mad at times, and everyone else is just telling me that I am the one in the wrong. It can be very lonely to feel that way.
Please
or

Chloemol · 27/11/2021 20:14

@Ireallydontcare55

Just heard the news about masks returning as of next week and changes to travelling rules.

It’s not so much that wearing a mask is inconvenient, it’s the fact that we were told restrictions were over and that we could get on with our lives.

I know I will get shot down for this post, but if it isn’t the ‘omnicron’ variant then it’ll be something else.

I’m sure many people will be in favour of tighter restrictions ‘until numbers drop’. And then what? In a few months’ time when the latest variant is out, will we have to do the same again?
“it’s just for a few weeks/months”

This isn’t going away. What’s the point of having 3 vaccines?

I’m fed up with it all, are people really prepared to do this for the foreseeable future ?

Get over

We were never told restrictions were over. They always said that if necessary some would return

What did you think plan B was for?

Experts say pandemics run for 4 years, if so we are half way through. Lots of countries still need to vaccinate, so no it’s not going away and yes we may have more restrictions. It’s not just us just look at the restrictions back in place in Europe

The point of the vaccines is to reduce transmission ( they have always said you may still be able to transmit even if vaccinated but much less) and to reduce symptoms if you do get it ( they have always said that even if vaccinated you could catch it) so you don’t need hospitalisation

Personally, having got friends who have lost loved ones to Covid, and seen friends catch it and get long covid I don’t want to get it. Just look at the posts on here from people who have had it. So I will be doing whatever’s required of me, for however long I am required to, to help stop Covid

You maybe fed up of it but at least you are alive, unlike those who have died through catching Covid leaving behind distraught family
Please
or

sst1234 · 27/11/2021 20:14

@Ireallydontcare55

OP, there are too many hysterical mask enthusiasts out there. They are offended at anyone not wanting to wear one. A lot of closet lockdown enthusiasts too. They come out in force to defend and cheer lockdown as soon as one is announced.
Please
or

Xanorra · 27/11/2021 20:14

All they announced today was wearing masks and pcr tests for people arriving in the UK. Personally that doesn’t stop me from «getting on with my life».

Please
or

anon12345678901 · 27/11/2021 20:14

@Ireallydontcare55

That's fine. Accept not everyone feels as you do and some feel wearing a mask is not difficult.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.