Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Some restrictions back, fed up

Ireallydontcare55 · 27/11/2021 19:55

Just heard the news about masks returning as of next week and changes to travelling rules.

It’s not so much that wearing a mask is inconvenient, it’s the fact that we were told restrictions were over and that we could get on with our lives.

I know I will get shot down for this post, but if it isn’t the ‘omnicron’ variant then it’ll be something else.

I’m sure many people will be in favour of tighter restrictions ‘until numbers drop’. And then what? In a few months’ time when the latest variant is out, will we have to do the same again?
“it’s just for a few weeks/months”

This isn’t going away. What’s the point of having 3 vaccines?

I’m fed up with it all, are people really prepared to do this for the foreseeable future ?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Figgrow · 27/11/2021 20:03

@Ireallydontcare55

It’s not just masks, it’s new travel restrictions too. It’s not a hardship no, but normal life for me does not involve wearing a mask.

But does it make a huge difference to your life, really? Travel restrictions are reviewed and change frequently, is there somewhere you had booked to go and now can't, or are you getting yourself wound up by what might (but probably wont) happen?
Please
or

Ireallydontcare55 · 27/11/2021 20:03

We have vaccines and booster shots now, if people are ending up intensive care then it’s likely they would have done anyway.

OP's posts:
Please
or

echt · 27/11/2021 20:03

@Ireallydontcare55

What worries me is how willingly people have accepted the idea of wearing a mask for the rest of their life potentially

Why are you worried about other people and what they think?
Please
or

Ireallydontcare55 · 27/11/2021 20:04

Yes as in normal life I wouldn’t have to isolate after a holiday, I’d just come back and return to work as usual.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 27/11/2021 20:04

Why would you die of Covid ? You’re far more likely to die of cancer or Alzheimer’s

The new version may have a higher mortality rate?

Please
or

Babyvenusplant · 27/11/2021 20:04

I think the majority of people would ignore any measures that would stop them seeing their friends and family again. I don't honestly think the government could police it, unless they fine absolutely everyone 🤷‍♀️

Please
or

Confrontayshunme · 27/11/2021 20:04

I have worn masks on transport and shops anyway, so no change to bother me. I am however at nearly a year with no taste or smell and allergic reactions all brought on by the neuro and immune damage from having a very mild case of covid. So I don't want a single person to have to deal with this because it sucks and I haven't worn out all my reserves of empathy yet from two years of restrictions.

Please
or

ItsSnowJokes · 27/11/2021 20:04

@Ireallydontcare55

What worries me is how willingly people have accepted the idea of wearing a mask for the rest of their life potentially

Some of us have not stopped wearing them since it started so it doesn't make any difference to some.

Is it really that much of a hardship?
Please
or

MintJulia · 27/11/2021 20:04

I wear a mask for the 45 mins on the train, and 30 mins round Tesco, it's not the rest of my life.

Let's keep this in proportion.

Please
or

ColinTheKoala · 27/11/2021 20:04

@Amazingblossoms

I'm with you OP

It's shit

And my autistic son who can't wear a mask (don't @ me that he can, you have no idea) will get even more crap from the nasty little shits at school who can't empathise with anyone who's even just a little bit different.

And the completely useless staff at his school, clearly. If they allow one of their pupils to be abused because of his disability, they need taking to task.
Please
or

Insertfunnyname · 27/11/2021 20:05

Yanbu

Please
or

Ireallydontcare55 · 27/11/2021 20:05

The point that people are making ‘it’s just a mask, it’s just a couple of days of isolation, well we were told this would not be returning. This is not normal life

OP's posts:
Please
or

GetTheFlockOutOfHere · 27/11/2021 20:05

YANBU to be fed up, as I think EVERYONE has had enough of covid affecting their life now. However, I think the restrictions returning are necessary, because many people are stupid and ignorant, and when the rules were 'relaxed' in the early summer, people took it for granted and just acted like Covid has gone. Didn't wear a mask, started crowding together again in bars and venues etc, and displayed no social distancing whatsoever etc...

Don't blame the Government. Blame the stupid people.

Please
or

SusieBob · 27/11/2021 20:05

@Ireallydontcare55

I couldn't care less.

It's not a hardship to put a mask on when going to the shops. It's really not.
Please
or

sst1234 · 27/11/2021 20:05

You are not wrong OP. Many many many people among us have been taken in by an irrational fear and almost enjoy having restrictions placed upon them because it makes them feel safe. They don’t mind being infantilized. The problem is these people really struggle to think for themselves. They struggle to see beyond the headlines. Their enthusiasm for lockdowns and other restrictions is doing untold damage to people’s lives. It is literally destroying peoples health - yes not Covid but the restrictions will kill more people in the long run. Young peoples futures are being put on the line, people’s mental health is being sacrificed. But hey, what does that all matter, when you can wear a mask to feel all warm and fuzzy inside and then go into full lockdown because you can work from home or watch movies all day with the kids on furlough.

Please
or

Figgrow · 27/11/2021 20:06

@Ireallydontcare55

Yes as in normal life I wouldn’t have to isolate after a holiday, I’d just come back and return to work as usual.

Well yes, but now you take a test on day 2 and isolate until the results. My neighbour got back from America last week, took the test day 2 and had the results 14 hours later, it was not even 3 days. Once she had slept to try and get over jet lagged, unpacked and done the washing etc it was little more than a weekend.
Please
or

Ireallydontcare55 · 27/11/2021 20:06

No it’s not a hardship as I’ve said 50 times. However normal life previously didn’t involve having to wear one

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ireallydontcare55 · 27/11/2021 20:07

Don’t really care that it’s only a couple of days extra, it’s still a couple of days extra needed to take off work that we wouldn’t have had to otherwise.

OP's posts:
Please
or

WayneKorr · 27/11/2021 20:07

I hate wearing a mask but I will keep wearing one , so yes I am prepared to get on with it
Nobody knows what will be thrown up next, so yes, we may have to do the same thing again, and again, and again
The point of having the vaccinations means that you won't be as ill if you didn't have them.
I'm fed up with it too

Please
or

sst1234 · 27/11/2021 20:07

@JustLyra

Nigh on 100k excess deaths in England and Wales. 100k people more than usual dying in 12 months.

Hardly a hardship to wear a mask and open some windows to keep that as low as possible.

I take it you are also keeping a tally of deaths caused by Covid restrictions. Care to share that number?
Please
or

anon12345678901 · 27/11/2021 20:07

@Ireallydontcare55

It's just a mask, it's not a hardship. I have to wear one for work so it really doesn't phase me going back to one in shops and on public transport.
Please
or

JustLyra · 27/11/2021 20:07

@Ireallydontcare55

The point that people are making ‘it’s just a mask, it’s just a couple of days of isolation, well we were told this would not be returning. This is not normal life

Anyone with an ounce of common sense took Boris' guarantee with a pinch of salt.

It was so much out of line with everywhere else that it was always likely to be a false promise.

It's not normal life - there's a new virus that caused excess deaths in one year of 100k in England and Wales alone. Whilst there's that many people dying it's not going to be normal.
Please
or

ColinTheKoala · 27/11/2021 20:07

@Ireallydontcare55

It’s not just masks, it’s new travel restrictions too. It’s not a hardship no, but normal life for me does not involve wearing a mask.

It's really no big deal at all. If I go into the office it's a 45 min journey. Unfortunately because of all the people who won't wear one (hopefully that will now change), I feel it necessary to wear an FFP2 mask that rides up and covers my eyes and is rather annoying. But the cloth ones are fine and don't get in the way. And I don't spend hours going round shops- I am usually popping in for a few minutes so it's not a big deal.

I also imagine that all the people who moan about wearing a mask manage just fine in the hairdressers...all the ones in my town have insisted that people continue to wear masks (and do so themselves).
Please
or

Dibbydoos · 27/11/2021 20:08

OP it's a virus, it's here with us forever, get used to changing rules rather than get ill or worse. Oh and grow up, rules change all the time!

Please
or

GetTheFlockOutOfHere · 27/11/2021 20:08

@Ireallydontcare55

No it’s not a hardship as I’ve said 50 times. However normal life previously didn’t involve having to wear one

But life is NOT normal. Won't be for a few years.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.