My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think: Enough with Taylor Swift, the boyfriend, the Superbowl and the beer all over the news!!

115 replies

Nanny0gg · 12/02/2024 12:06

Every news report, every newspaper that I've seen all have about TS and her kissing her 'winning' boyfriend (who doesn't seem that nice) at the Superbowl

There are many, MANY more important things to hear/read about than this.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

216 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
41%
You are NOT being unreasonable
59%
Oneofthesurvivors · 12/02/2024 12:06

And yet here you are drawing attention to it.

dimllaishebiaith · 12/02/2024 12:07

I mean if you think people have talked about it enough and there shouldn't be more talking about it, then starting a conversation about its probably not the way to go?

Nanny0gg · 12/02/2024 12:09

Because it's all over the news. Unless you're living under a rock you've seen/watched/heard about it

So I am asking (I think) a perfectly reasonable question

How dumbed down do we have to be?

OP posts:
SgtJuneAckland · 12/02/2024 12:10

You read different papers to me

scorpiogirly · 12/02/2024 12:11

Until a thread on here I clicked on today, I had no idea her BF was a sports person and what team he played for.

But I agree, its hardly bloody news is it? Plus he looks like Vinnie Jones.

ElaineMBenes · 12/02/2024 12:12

It isn't the only thing in the news.
It isn't hard to find other stories.

the80sweregreat · 12/02/2024 12:14

It makes a change from the usual grim news about wars and Donald Trump / Rishi Sunak etc

owlsinthedaylight · 12/02/2024 12:14

This has always been the case. Always. People generally are a little bit interested in the lives of famous people.

SirSamVimesCityWatch · 12/02/2024 12:15

I love him! And his brother.

Watch the "why didn't Jason bring jeans for Jason" clip on you tube. He seems like a pretty good guy to me.

EasternStandard · 12/02/2024 12:16

I’ve missed all this

SirenSays · 12/02/2024 12:16

Give it a day, the superbowl is big news every year. Why do you say Travis doesn't seem that nice?

Dotjones · 12/02/2024 12:16

YANBU. Why is American Football news here anyway? I can understand it being important in America but seriously, how many people over here really care? I can't imagine CNN and Fox News spending much time talking about who won the FA Cup or the Natwest T20 Blast.

I'm not sure why the BBC are so obsessed with the NFL all of a sudden, it's not like they have TV coverage of it. What's next, the Cardinals all over the news when there's the baseball World series? NASCAR?

CrispsandCheeseSandwich · 12/02/2024 12:18

You're being a bit dramatic. I turned on bbc news at 12 for the headlines and it didn't come up. They've been talking about Israel almost the whole time I've been watching. They've just run through other news, including talking about water companies, the Rwanda plan, and Labour's Rochdale by-election candidate. Now they're talking about the Kenyan athlete killed in a car crash.
The fact that the chiefs won has come up along the bottom but no mention of Taylor swift.

BoohooWoohoo · 12/02/2024 12:18

We’re in the UK so it won’t be long until Super Bowl news is forgotten. It only normally reaches the news (social media) here because of the half time show but the NFL are massively cashing in on the deep pockets of Swifties to make money on tickets and jerseys.

Talking about it on here is just extending the news cycle.

hotblacktea · 12/02/2024 12:18

YABVU, it's so easy to avoid news about this or other trivial stuff if you want

phoenixrosehere · 12/02/2024 12:20

dimllaishebiaith · 12/02/2024 12:07

I mean if you think people have talked about it enough and there shouldn't be more talking about it, then starting a conversation about its probably not the way to go?

Exactly.

Besides, it’s been less than 12 hours since the game ended. I feel the same way about football but I expect there to be talk about it after a big game, especially the end of a season and can easily bypass the talk of it if I really wanted to or it bothered me.

the80sweregreat · 12/02/2024 12:21

The Super Bowl final has made the news every year ; maybe not during the main news, but I can remember when channel 4 started to put it on overnight and some people I worked with were so happy as they followed it and had seen the American football whilst staying in the states and how good it was etc
The half time acts nearly always make the need too for things going wrong or being good or whatever!

SirSamVimesCityWatch · 12/02/2024 12:23

It's not the superbowl, it's Taylor. She's the biggest star in the world. It's like if Michael Jackson, at the height of his fame, was dating one of the most successful sportspeople of the time. That's why its worldwide news, because she is a worldwide megastar.

Singleandproud · 12/02/2024 12:24

I watched (half) of it last night on ITV, the Superbowl is a huge competition bringing in £££., the Chiefs winning is a big deal as they've won 3 out of the last 5 Superbowls.

The Kelce brothers are funny and sound like good guys on their podcast.

Taylor is having an amazing year the fact that they are together has encouraged lots of women and girls to watch and get involved in the sport which is a good thing.

phoenixrosehere · 12/02/2024 12:24

Dotjones · 12/02/2024 12:16

YANBU. Why is American Football news here anyway? I can understand it being important in America but seriously, how many people over here really care? I can't imagine CNN and Fox News spending much time talking about who won the FA Cup or the Natwest T20 Blast.

I'm not sure why the BBC are so obsessed with the NFL all of a sudden, it's not like they have TV coverage of it. What's next, the Cardinals all over the news when there's the baseball World series? NASCAR?

Easy answer. There are American football fans all over the world including here in the UK and the Half-time show is usually discussed on SM. They have been having American Football games at Wembley for years now.

The faux shock is weird and I’m not even a fan of American football.

beguilingeyes · 12/02/2024 12:25

You need to get out more.

Nanny0gg · 12/02/2024 12:27

SgtJuneAckland · 12/02/2024 12:10

You read different papers to me

It's on both the Times and the Guardian's website first page

OP posts:
AIstolemylunch · 12/02/2024 12:29

American Football is increasingly piper amongst the younger generation in the UK - playing and watching, as they have access to all the NFL games now.

Nanny0gg · 12/02/2024 12:29

SirenSays · 12/02/2024 12:16

Give it a day, the superbowl is big news every year. Why do you say Travis doesn't seem that nice?

The way he shoved the coach when the game wasn't going the way they planned.

He's a big bloke...

OP posts:
BoogieBoogieWoogie · 12/02/2024 12:30

who doesn't seem that nice

What is that referring to? Has he said/done something in particular? Or do you mean nice looking?
Just wondering as from what I've heard people like him

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.