Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To not want their car on my driveway?

Parkingmoan1 · 16/07/2022 13:44

I live in a city in a ground floor flat, no garden but I have a driveway that comes with my flat.

I don't have a car so this Is why I don't know if I'm being unreasonable..

My doorway / driveway gets alot of direct sun so I like to dry my washing out there on racks when the weather is nice. I also like to sit out there on a chair with a cold drink and a book sometimes.

A few months ago a family moved into the flat above me and have taken to parking their big people carrier on my drive. They didn't ask my permission, just assumed they were entitled to because I don't have a car.

My frustration is when their car is there I can't put my washing out, it also blocks alot of the sun. They park it diagonally aswell which is a PITA for me getting my pram in and out.

They are out there at the minute cleaning and hoovering the car about 3ft away from my doorstep so I can't sit out and enjoy the sun / a bit of peace and quiet.

AIBU to be unhappy about them using my drive in this way? The poll results will determine what, if anything, I say to them.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Lonecatwithkitten · 16/07/2022 13:45

Have you spoken to them about it being yours rather than shared that maybe the first step.

Please
or

OlympicProcrastinator · 16/07/2022 13:46

Omg how cheeky of them! Do they know it’s your drive? Go round with the deeds and tell them to get off.

Please
or

Hotenoughtoburnasausage · 16/07/2022 13:46

Excuse me neighbour but I would like to use my own drive so can you please move your car...
If you really don't use it for a car cement some planters on it.

Please
or

crabbitmaw · 16/07/2022 13:46

Id tell them to stop it ASAP. The longer you leave it, the harder it will be to stop it if you ever do have a car or want your own guest to park there. You wouldnt let someone pitch up a tent in your back garden so why would you let someone park a car in your front garden? Cf'ers

Please
or

CoffeeWithNiles · 16/07/2022 13:46

I'd just ask them to move the car as you want to use your driveway from now on.

Please
or

gillybean2 · 16/07/2022 13:46

Tell them it’s you’re private driveway and they don’t have permission to park there and to move their car. If you haven’t told them there may simply be a misunderstanding.

Please
or

Mythril · 16/07/2022 13:46

Of course YANBU. It's yours and you want to use it.

Please
or

Lazypuppy · 16/07/2022 13:46

Wwhy have you let them park there? You've kind of created the problem, maybe they think its theirs?

Basically tell them to stop parking on your driveway 🤷🏼‍♀️

Please
or

Parkingmoan1 · 16/07/2022 13:47

Lonecatwithkitten · 16/07/2022 13:45

Have you spoken to them about it being yours rather than shared that maybe the first step.

I haven't to be honest no, they don't seem very friendly least of all the man.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nimo12 · 16/07/2022 13:47

You need to speak to them. Have you tried? You're not being unreasonable

Please
or

AntiHop · 16/07/2022 13:47

Definitely talk to them. They are being CFs

Please
or

DisplayPurposesOnly · 16/07/2022 13:48

Have they assumed it's a general parking space? Where should they park?

In the past few months have you never sat out or put your washing out, that they could see?

I think you're perfectly reasonable to want to use your own driveway.

Please
or

Nimo12 · 16/07/2022 13:48

X post. It doesn't matter if they are friendly or not although I understand not wanting confrontation. It's your drive so I think you need to let them know

Please
or

ClocksGoingBackwards · 16/07/2022 13:48

They are cheeky fuckers. I’d tell them that you’ve noticed that they find it convenient to park on your drive so you’d like to offer them the opportunity to formalise the arrangement and can allow them to continue using your drive for £150 per week. You will ensure that no one without permission parks on your drive for them by purchasing a clamp that will get used on any car that doesn’t pay.

Please
or

Parkingmoan1 · 16/07/2022 13:50

I haven't said anything at all to them no.

I've tried saying hello once or twice but they just looked straifht through me. I think the man is the only one who speaks English and he's the least approachable. I'm not NT so struggle with confrontation and awkward conversations.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ShirleyPhallus · 16/07/2022 13:50

A similar thing happened in my rental flat where a family started parking their car in my tenants space. Turns out the agent had mistakenly told the new tenants that the car parking spaces were shared which was incorrect.

tenant went and spoke to neighbour and all resolved.

first step is to go and speak to them. Don’t tell them you don’t have a car, it’s irrelevant

Please
or

Inklingpot · 16/07/2022 13:51

If you haven’t told them then they probably assumed they would park there. YABU for not even speaking to them.

Please
or

TidyDancer · 16/07/2022 13:52

I think you have to say something but do it from a position of assuming they don't realise they shouldn't be doing this. I don't think it needs to be a confrontation but just let them know that they can't park there as it's private and you're going to be using it.

Please
or

thereisonlyoneofme · 16/07/2022 13:53

Didnt we have a similar thread a while ago ?

Please
or

girlfriend44 · 16/07/2022 13:53

why do you need to ask this? You just inform them its yours and you want to use it?

Please
or

LaurieFairyCake · 16/07/2022 13:54

If you can't talk to them put a note through the door saying they've unfortunately misunderstood and that the driveway is yours alone.

Please
or

Therealpink · 16/07/2022 13:54

Put up a sign saying ‘privately owned, no parking’. If they ignore that you’ll need to speak to them.

Do you own your flat or renting?

Please
or

Parkingmoan1 · 16/07/2022 13:54

thereisonlyoneofme · 16/07/2022 13:53

Didnt we have a similar thread a while ago ?

Not from me you didn't, this is the first time I've mentioned it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

birdsinthegarden · 16/07/2022 13:54

It's possible they just don't know! Unless it's clearly marked, then it's not really something that's obvious. Go and have a friendly chat to them and if English isn't their first language, then you could use Google translate on your phone. And once you've had that discussion, get some pretty planters and place them strategically so that people can't drive on.

I think sometimes we assume people are doing things deliberately but actually they might just not know. Good luck!

Please
or

Beachsidesunset · 16/07/2022 13:54

Put a letter through their door, along with a copy of the ownership rights.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.