Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to think that NO ONE irons fitted fucking sheets

280 replies

Utterlybananas333 · 23/03/2022 08:24

Because there are possibly two hundred and eighty five million better things I could be doing with my time. And uh I have a life?!!?? In fact I'm pretty sure lots of people don't even iron the duvet cover (the bit that you actually bloody see! )DH and I got in to a semi serious fight over it last night. He was positively horrified when he saw me putting on a *scream UNironed fitted sheet on the bed. I had spent ages ironing the rest of the bedding (duvet and pillow covers) and two kids' bedding so this royally pissed me off. So, tell me I'm not being unreasonable All you normal folks with your heads screwed on correctly.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

DeePlume · 23/03/2022 09:27

God no. I work in a linen shop and we have to iron them for the display beds. It takes an age and I hate it. No one should be subjected to that!!!!!!

Please
or

OzziePopPop · 23/03/2022 09:28

My mother does, but then she irons socks too.

Personally I think she’s batshit crazy…. I iron nothing. She’s very disappointed in me 😂

Please
or

Wavypurple · 23/03/2022 09:29

We don’t even own an iron anymore.

I still have this argument with a relative. Constantly playing the martyr about how much housework there is to do and yet she irons socks, underwear and bed sheets Shock yes even the £1 primark thongs get ironed

When I was a child I found it really odd and now that I’m an adult with my own family I find it ever weirder that you would waste time like that.

Please
or

EleanorDeCleaner · 23/03/2022 09:30

Absolutely fucking not, the iron could kiss my creased arse if I knew where it was.

Please
or

ItWasntMyFault · 23/03/2022 09:31

I've never ironed bedding and don't actually iron anything anymore

Please
or

5foot5 · 23/03/2022 09:33

No bedding ironed in this house.

I have recently been wondering about the modern dominance of fitted sheets. Why did we think they were a good thing?

Making up a bed with a flat sheet and doing "hospital" corners is perfectly easy, probably easier than trying to put on a fitted sheet that doesn't fit very well.

A flat sheet could be used as a bottom or top sheet.

They are also easier to fold and, if you do want to iron sheets, then easier to iron.

But like everyone else I have an airing cupboard full of them and it would take me years to move away from that

Please
or

Femalewoman · 23/03/2022 09:34

Some people have too much time on their hand if they iron fitted sheets (or pants/handkerchiefs/etc etc)

Please
or

vipersnest1 · 23/03/2022 09:34

I am one of the few here who admits to ironing bed linen - because I prefer the feel of it.
Ironing fitted sheets is no more difficult than ironing flat sheets if you fold corners into corners IYSWIM.

Please
or

vipersnest1 · 23/03/2022 09:37

I'm going to be drummed out of Mumsnet through a tunnel of MNers holding aloft unironed sheets aren't I? BlushGrin

Please
or

maddy68 · 23/03/2022 09:37

I don't iron anything let balone bedding but my mum does (she even irons t towels????)

Please
or

chaosrabbitland · 23/03/2022 09:38

my iron emerges out once every three months for an item of my dds clothing . and thats about it ! if the pillow cases are particularly creased i will iron them. but as for sheets and duvet covers I'll be buggered if im arsing about ironing those .

Please
or

lanthanum · 23/03/2022 09:38

Ask him to show you the creases he's bothered by. The big advantage of fitted sheets is that pulling them over the mattress pulls out all the creases.

I like ironing. I do not iron bedding.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 23/03/2022 09:40

I've never ironed bedding ever

Please
or

Jellycatrabbit · 23/03/2022 09:41

DH thinks ironing the sheets is necessary so he does it.

I admit it's nicer, but not so nice that I would actually bother!

Please
or

Alcoh · 23/03/2022 09:42

No

Please
or

sueelleker · 23/03/2022 09:45

I don't even iron flat sheets-by the time they're tucked in you can't tell the difference anyway.

Please
or

Wexone · 23/03/2022 09:45

I iron my bedding, love nothing more than a nice clean ironed sheet bed to get into. I iron the fitted sheets as best as i can by folding them etc. However that is me. My other half doesn't iron. ( He does his fair share before anyone says anything ) however he would never comment on them if they weren't. If your other half wants ironed sheets do it himself

Please
or

EBearhug · 23/03/2022 09:47

I do iron sheets, including fitted, because there are few things nicer than a freshly made bed. But I don't expect anyone else to do it for me.

Please
or

Wexone · 23/03/2022 09:47

By the way i absolutely detest flat sheets and hate putting them on, a fitted sheet is far quicker, they are not easy to do like someone said above and always come out when they are on and being slept in.

Please
or

Wnikat · 23/03/2022 09:48

I don't iron.

Please
or

Slagertha · 23/03/2022 09:48

I don't iron any of the bedding...it straightens out once it's on anyway lol!

Please
or

mightbealittlebitmad · 23/03/2022 09:48

Even when I ironed bedding I never ironed fitted sheets.

I iron my work shirts and that's about it, I'll run one over my 6 year olds polo shirts and P.E shirts if I remember.

I hate ironing so will only do what is necessary to not make a terrible impression. Given that nobody random will see my bed it doesn't matter what it looks like, if anybody is lucky enough to be getting into my bed they better not be caring about what it looks like.

Please
or

ThreeLittleDots · 23/03/2022 09:49

I have never heard of anyone ironing any bedding! Get a life!

Please
or

beinggreen · 23/03/2022 09:49

It's the sort of thing my mother would do.

If I was really bored... I still wouldn't. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Please
or

luckylavender · 23/03/2022 09:50

I iron but not fitted sheets. But people do of course they do

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?