Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to think that NO ONE irons fitted fucking sheets

280 replies

Utterlybananas333 · 23/03/2022 08:24

Because there are possibly two hundred and eighty five million better things I could be doing with my time. And uh I have a life?!!?? In fact I'm pretty sure lots of people don't even iron the duvet cover (the bit that you actually bloody see! )DH and I got in to a semi serious fight over it last night. He was positively horrified when he saw me putting on a *scream UNironed fitted sheet on the bed. I had spent ages ironing the rest of the bedding (duvet and pillow covers) and two kids' bedding so this royally pissed me off. So, tell me I'm not being unreasonable All you normal folks with your heads screwed on correctly.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Onlyforcake · 23/03/2022 09:51

I've got one care client with beautifully ironed bed everything. I thought it was the cleaner doing it. It turns out the son uses a laundry service for all of his household and mum's house stuff. Honestly. He is my life goals. Life's too short! I suggest he looks at services at a laundrette, they even collect and deliver.

Please
or

sunflowerdaisyrose · 23/03/2022 09:52

We have ironed ours, including fitted sheet , since we bought white company sheets, didn't bother with other sets we have and don't iron any of the children's bedding.

Please
or

Chely · 23/03/2022 09:53

I haven't ironed anything for years.
Waste of time and money.

Please
or

Myonlysunshine123 · 23/03/2022 09:53

No fucking way would I iron bedding, it goes from dryer or line, straight back on the bed. That's a joke, bet his mum used to iron his pants too!

Please
or

FruitToast · 23/03/2022 09:53

Ironing in my house is reserved for adult shirts/blouses (school ones are dried on the hanger and go under a pinny anyway) and school summer dresses (they have to have a certain one that creases horrendously). Do people really have the time to waste ironing bedding??

Please
or

SatinHeart · 23/03/2022 09:53

I don't iron anything. DH irons his own work shirts and trousers.

Ironing is a hideous waste of an existence.

Please
or

HopefulProcrastinator · 23/03/2022 09:54

When my husband and I started dating I offered to be the ironing person in our relationship because I didn't want him touching my iron

He was honestly horrified that I wouldn't consider ironing his boxer shorts, I think he was considering whether or not we had a future when I made clear that underwear, nightwear, bedding and towels yes fucking towels would not be ironed by me ever...and if he wanted to iron them he could buy himself an iron (mine's a wonderful steam generator that I'm loath to risk someone breaking).

20 odd years on and his life doesn't seem to have been harmed by my slovenly ways. However, I do judge people who don't use an iron for clothes, you can always tell the difference.

Please
or

flowerfake · 23/03/2022 09:58

I don't iron. Efficient tumble dryer with an anti crease cycle at the end, I listen out, get the washing out and fold it and it's fine. Shirts for school go on hangers straight away and are fine.

I watched my mother ironing everything for decades and hating every minute of it.

I've limited time and energy in life, not putting it into ironing.

Please
or

BlackAmericanoNoSugar · 23/03/2022 10:02

So, he has presumably been sleeping in beds that you've made for years and not noticed that the fitted sheet wasn't ironed until he saw you making the bed. Which is surely proof that it makes no fucking difference to the sleep experience. Also proof that he needs to take his turn making the bed, he's not living in a hotel.

Please
or

Fairyliz · 23/03/2022 10:16

@PainterMummy

I only iron bed linen when I’m having guests to stay, otherwise making the bed with the sheets fresh from dryer is enough.

Yes I iron for guests but not us.
Do you visit other people a lot? Perhaps if everyone is ironing for guests your DH thinks this is the norm?
Please
or

Brefugee · 23/03/2022 10:24

I love getting into a freshly made bed with beautifully ironed bedding. But i hate ironing so that almost never happens.

I only iron the things that really need ironing. Which is not much at all. And i only do it because i've started listening to a few podcasts while i do it. Previously DP did it whilst watching films that i didn't care to watch.

Please
or

James44 · 23/03/2022 10:24

Ironing? What films do I want to catch up on?

Please
or

Utterlybananas333 · 23/03/2022 10:29

Yaaay I've met my tribe!!!! Ironing haters unite !

OP posts:
Please
or

DuckyNoMates · 23/03/2022 10:31

HAHAHA life's too short. Let him try and iron the fuckers!

Please
or

Thethingswedoforlove · 23/03/2022 10:31

Why does bedding need the creases to be removed? I wouldn’t have even thought or ironing any bedding at all.

Please
or

HouseOfGoldandBones · 23/03/2022 10:37

I've occasionally ironed the spare room duvet cover, but I do it when the bed is made up.
Much easier.

Please
or

Joystir59 · 23/03/2022 10:37

I've got a friend who does, so I'd iron it for her if she came to stay.

Please
or

EleanorDeCleaner · 23/03/2022 10:38

Isn't it supposed to be good luck to sleep on unironed sheets anyway?

Please
or

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 23/03/2022 10:39

Why didn’t he just iron it? If he cares so much.

I don’t iron mine. I currently don’t own an ironing board though.

I imagine my Mum irons hers. I’m sort of always jealous of her immaculate looking clothes but at the same time don’t have time for that shit! I buy stuff that doesn’t really need ironing, don’t wear shirts etc

Please
or

JenniferAllisonPhillipaSue · 23/03/2022 10:40

AIBU to think that NO ONE irons fitted sheets?

Allow me to introduce you to my mother, who irons everything. She says that she finds it therapeutic.

The only reason I own an iron is for hemming tape Grin

Please
or

Briscarta · 23/03/2022 10:41

Me- I iron all bedding- always have

Please
or

LabelMaker · 23/03/2022 10:42

@EleanorDeCleaner

Isn't it supposed to be good luck to sleep on unironed sheets anyway?

No idea but I'm happy to go with that!
Please
or

Cocogreen · 23/03/2022 11:00

Not only do I not iron fitted sheets ( or any bedding) I cannot be bothered folding them neatly so they just get roughly folded into a sort of ball and put in the linen cupboard like that. You're husband would divorce me!

Please
or

Pandypuff · 23/03/2022 11:01

I voted 'YABU' because you ironed the rest of the bedding which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my entire life! Nobody irons bedding!

Please
or

femfemlicious · 23/03/2022 11:01

I iron nothing EVER. I no longer even own an iron Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?