Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to think that NO ONE irons fitted fucking sheets

280 replies

Utterlybananas333 · 23/03/2022 08:24

Because there are possibly two hundred and eighty five million better things I could be doing with my time. And uh I have a life?!!?? In fact I'm pretty sure lots of people don't even iron the duvet cover (the bit that you actually bloody see! )DH and I got in to a semi serious fight over it last night. He was positively horrified when he saw me putting on a *scream UNironed fitted sheet on the bed. I had spent ages ironing the rest of the bedding (duvet and pillow covers) and two kids' bedding so this royally pissed me off. So, tell me I'm not being unreasonable All you normal folks with your heads screwed on correctly.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

mummabubs · 24/03/2022 07:22

I do... And it's pretty much the only thing I iron 😂 Freshly washed and ironed bedding is the dream.

Please
or

EthelTheAardvark · 24/03/2022 07:29

Sheets are far more comfortable after they've been ironed.

I can honestly say I've never got into a bed with unironed sheets and thought "Oh dear, that's uncomfortable." Fitted sheets in particular stretch so that there are no wrinkles anyway.

Please
or

sueelleker · 24/03/2022 08:31

@RoseMartha

I dont iron fitted sheets. I usually iron the duvet cover but only the side that shows

What do you do if it's a reversible patter?
Please
or

sueelleker · 24/03/2022 08:31

Sorry, pattern.

Please
or

Jonny1265 · 24/03/2022 09:08

I don't iron any of my bedding. The fitted sheet pull tight enough that no creases are evident and the duvet and pillow cases drop out really quickly. Not worth the time or effort.

Please
or

oviraptor21 · 24/03/2022 19:24

My bedding has too much cotton in so will never stretch out or hang out enough to remove creases.
There's a definite difference in appearance and feel. I prefer ironed for both so I iron the lot.

Please
or

Againstmachine · 24/03/2022 19:36

No one should be ironing bedding.

Don't complain about your energy bills if you do unnecessary ironing.

Please
or

Jonny1265 · 24/03/2022 21:58

@oviraptor21

My bedding has too much cotton in so will never stretch out or hang out enough to remove creases.
There's a definite difference in appearance and feel. I prefer ironed for both so I iron the lot.

My bedding is 100% cotton and it stretches to remove all the creases. The duvet cover take a day or so for them to drop out but I'm good with that.
Please
or

hippopootamus · 24/03/2022 22:07

Why would anyone iron bedding. You’re not going to wear them out in public presumably?!

Please
or

Hufflepuff21 · 24/03/2022 22:16

Oh my mum does. I don't iron any bedding and this upsets her greatly!

Please
or

Islandgirl68 · 26/03/2022 16:21

Never iron fitted sheets they don't need it. Do iron cover and pillow cases. If he wants it ironed he can do it himself. I do iron other stuff/clothing as well. Can't go out with creased clothing. I don't have a dryer so clothes need ironed.

Please
or

FangsForTheMemory · 26/03/2022 16:29

I iron pillowcases. I do not iron bottom sheets or duvet covers. Mine are all either cotton percale or linen and I don't give an arse how they look because half an hour after you get into bed it makes no difference whether you ironed them or not.

Please
or

Maaaaaaaa · 26/03/2022 17:43

Colossal waste of time. These are the kinds of things to establish before becoming housebound together. You want ironed bedding? Take it to a professional. Will he pay for it? Will he do it himself? It's not just the time: it's the electricity costs, too. It's the environment. Keep your life simpler and live longer, healthier. For a great night's sleep, try buying a truly comfortable mattress. Best mattresses I ever had were MemoryFoam type (not expensive). Compatibility means: whoever is in charge of the housekeeping is actually In Charge for the duration of their housekeeping turn, or their tenure in the marriage/arrangement. Don't let yourselves be taken advantage of.

Please
or

Sunriseboy · 27/03/2022 03:10

I'm a pedant/somewhat obsessive with house work stuff.
A fitted sheet can be pulled firm and removes most heavy creasing.
But I'm sorry, ironing the sheet is way too OCD for me.
Besides, the guy needs a good kick up the arse. He's not the one having to iron the bloody thing.
Get two king-single beds. And tell him to iron his own fucking sheets.
If a woman is at home all day, she's got a bloody mountain of cleaning, cooking, folding, ironing, putting it away, dishwashing, more bloody cleaning up after the boofhead she's married to.
Nah, iron your own sheets boofhead. And...BTW...STFU, and stop shit-canning your darling!!!

Please
or

stonebrambleboy · 27/03/2022 05:00

My mum used to iron tights!

Please
or

Againstmachine · 27/03/2022 18:17

I don't iron sheets ect as it will be dark most of time I am using them.

Please
or

Hotfootit · 27/03/2022 19:02

I have 2 items of clothing that need to be ironed. They are the last things I choose to wear and I probably wear them twice a year each (at the most) - bra cause I know I’ll have to iron them before putting them away. I have never ironed bed linen in my life - I am nearly 50!

Please
or

stormswiftlysweetafton · 27/03/2022 19:07

I only iron clothes for special events. Maybe curtains, but nothing else. There's no chance I'll ever iron a sheet. If he wants them ironed, I'd show him where I keep the iron and tell him to help himself.

Please
or

stormswiftlysweetafton · 27/03/2022 19:10

I wouldn't tell someone else how to run their house, but privately, you'll never convince me that ironing sheets is not a terrible waste of time.

Please
or

FabFitFifties · 27/03/2022 19:46

I iron mine, in so much as I fold it into a square, then steam iron it on both sides. It looks fine. That is the worst of my ironing laziness - I iron everything that gets washed except bras.

Please
or

NeverDropYourMooncup · 27/03/2022 20:13

It's all I can do to persuade DP that sleeping on a bare mattress with seven knackered pillows, no pillowcases and a trashed duvet isn't how functional adult human beings work. What doesn't help with this is I've currently got a knackered shoulder, so I'm dependent upon him doing the work - you can't put on a king size duvet cover or base sheet on with just one fully functional and not excruciatingly painful arm. Or at least, I haven't worked out how to do it so far.

If I added ironing onto the list of terrible punishments I inflict upon him on top of actually stripping the bed, washing, drying and most importantly, the onerous task of replacing the bedlinen on the bed instead of screwing it all up into a ball and shoving it up the back of the cupboard in the hope I won't notice, I think his head might explode.

I prefer ironed bedding. It feels far, far nicer. If you're already ironing everything else, it's just thirty seconds longer to flip the corners over and iron a fitted sheet. But I like actually having bedding even more.

Please
or

SunscreenCentral · 27/03/2022 22:13

I have mastered the art of folding a fitted sheet and that's enough for me

Please
or

ALongHardWinter · 27/03/2022 22:40

I don't iron ANY bed linen or anything else

Please
or

Hairbrush123 · 27/03/2022 23:19

I tried to iron bedding once. Never again.

Please
or

dizzydizzydizzy · 28/03/2022 07:48

DM does. I don't iron anything but I am very careful about how I hang stuff to dry.

Life is too short to waste ironing.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?