Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Threatened with losing my job

Finallylostit · 19/01/2022 22:49

Yesterday, I got a letter and a delightful email in my work email telling me I am going to lose my job unless I get vaccinated.

Yes I work for the NHS.

This is insulting and rude when those in power think to threaten people without getting their data /facts correct.

May 2020 - I received my first vaccine as part of the first vaccine trial in the world. By the end of June 2020 I had my second dose. In June 2021 - I had a new trial booster.

Problem is if you had your vaccine as part of the trials that helped move the world back to normal - then the systems do not recognise it as being had. The NHS app will give me a covid pass and says i have had it but it is not considered the real thing that everyone else got after being tried on people like me.

I have to email my proof to them to prove ~I have had it. 3 emails later and I have had to send in passport details, vaccine trial details, this detail that detail etc etc.

Today 'i got invited to a meeting with my manager to discuss the implications of my refusenik beliefs and to inform me that as of April 1st I will not be employed by the NHS. That said person could not see how frustrating it is for someone who has been vaccinated all along but systems do not recognise it and still asked me for proof - just pushed me over the edge today.

Whilst I appreciate this is adminstritative it really is insulting that they can not get this right. I and many of my NHS colleagues volunteered blindly into a trial not knowing what the hell would happen to help the world.

our thanks for helping move the world on - threatened with the sack. Thoroughly pissed off Vax volunteer.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AnaBananas · 19/01/2022 22:52

Surely this is an administrative mis-hap and your job will be safe?! I mean you've had all three vaccines - it's not like you can get another three surely?!

Please
or

RandomMess · 19/01/2022 22:52

Angry

On your behalf

Please
or

3scape · 19/01/2022 22:52

So .... Do what most of the volunteers have done, get more jabs.

What's your point exactly? Propoganda?

Please
or

Keladrythesaviour · 19/01/2022 22:53

That's appalling. I don't say this often but I would be going to both my MP and a newspaper about this. Those who trialled the vaccines need to be treated like absolute hero's, not villified in their own work place. I hope you get it settled OP.

Please
or

Viviennemary · 19/01/2022 22:53

In your case of course this is wrong as you have had the vaccine.

Please
or

GirlInACountrySong · 19/01/2022 22:53

Go to the meeting? Tell them what you told us? Job done

Please
or

Umbongoumbongo999 · 19/01/2022 23:00

That process sounds terrible. In my org the first job was to collate a validated list for whom we do not hold records of full vaccination. We are working to correct the data quality issues first, then each staff member on the list gets a call from hr to confirm their status, update records where required, signpost/book a covid vaccine, make an appointment with one of our senior clinicians to discuss their vaccine concerns.

Of those whom we do not have a complete record, some have been vaccinated in other countries, some are recent entrants to the uk and their records haven't caught up, some are pregnant/ new mothers so will be temporarily exempt and some participated in vaccine trials. All of these are discussed on an individual basis. It sounds like due process is not being followed and your organisation needs to be very concerned re unfair dismissal claims if they follow through.

Can you write to the medical director ? I think this is worth escalating. Also, do you have a staff side rep?

Please
or

Theballoonsinthesky · 19/01/2022 23:03

Why are people not up in arms that in 2 weeks time 90k NHS staff will be served notice? They've worked the deadliest part of the pandemic with no protection and as we are coming out of the pandemic they will lose their jobs for standing up for body autonomy? The virus is being passed on by vaccinated people just as much as unvaccinated and to let this happen is crazy. I work for the NHS and have had 3 vaccines but I just can't believe we have come to this. I could understand if it was impossible to pass the virus on if you're vaccinated but like I said the transmission rate between fully vaxxed is off the charts so how is a dr any more of a risk to a patient if they're not vaccinated? People should get the vaccine to protect themselves not others as it doesn't work for that.

Please
or

Umbongoumbongo999 · 19/01/2022 23:04

Cant link as pdf but search VCOD guidance, NHS England and Improvement 14th Jan

Please
or

kentuckyfriedpizza · 19/01/2022 23:04

@3scape

Why should she have to? She's had her jags.
Please
or

Finallylostit · 19/01/2022 23:06

I went to meeting - told to show proof which i have done 3 times now and still not recognised.

3scape - what go and waste some more tax payers money by getting 3 more vaccines just because people can not get the admin right.

Seriously are you mad.

Just had a v frustrating day - showing pieces of paper that show I am vaccinated and still asked for more information.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DrinkFeckArseBrick · 19/01/2022 23:06

I think PP ate downplaying this, it would infuriate most people that even though their work is already aware they have had the vaccine, and you have provided proof, they are still sending emails saying you are going to be sacked. It's a horrible email to receive and you shouldn't continually have to prove yourself when you have been open and honest and helpful.

Please
or

vodkaredbullgirl · 19/01/2022 23:07

How much more proof do they need?

Please
or

Wineat5isfine · 19/01/2022 23:11

@3scape

Read the post. OP has has both vax plus booster
Please
or

Wineat5isfine · 19/01/2022 23:11

So sorry OP - that’s bloody awful!!!!

Please
or

ldontWanna · 19/01/2022 23:12

Don't blame you for being frustrated.

Such a computer says no situation, with humans involved unable or unwilling to over ride it with common sense. Tbh they're on really shitty grounds with this policy anyways, but you are actually jabbed and risked A LOT to do it.

Tbh your trust wouldn't fill me with confidence if they're willing to lose you and others like you based on bureaucracy and "principle".

Please
or

grapewine · 19/01/2022 23:12

Kafka would be proud. I'm sorry. Hope they get it together.

Please
or

VelvetChairGirl · 19/01/2022 23:17

@Theballoonsinthesky

Why are people not up in arms that in 2 weeks time 90k NHS staff will be served notice? They've worked the deadliest part of the pandemic with no protection and as we are coming out of the pandemic they will lose their jobs for standing up for body autonomy? The virus is being passed on by vaccinated people just as much as unvaccinated and to let this happen is crazy. I work for the NHS and have had 3 vaccines but I just can't believe we have come to this. I could understand if it was impossible to pass the virus on if you're vaccinated but like I said the transmission rate between fully vaxxed is off the charts so how is a dr any more of a risk to a patient if they're not vaccinated? People should get the vaccine to protect themselves not others as it doesn't work for that.

agreed and theres already 130k vacancies in the NHS but since when have the Tories cared about the NHS?
Please
or

5foot5 · 19/01/2022 23:18

Has the vaccine you had since been approved?

I was in the Novavax trial. People in that had both jabs but because it wasn't approved were not allowed to travel abroad last year. I know that's not as bad as having your job threatened but still infuriating.

We were eventually offered 2 Pfizer as well so we could travel but after I had had the first of those Novavax was approved by EMA so was told I didn't need the second as it counts now.

Your situation sounds ridiculous. YANBU.

Please
or

Finallylostit · 19/01/2022 23:19

Thanks everyone -am sure my job will be safe.

It upset me more than I thought as did not expect to be on a VCOD list. Did not think it would be this hard to prove my innocence ! Stunned by admin attitude - you are a pain for not just doing the right way is v prevalent.

Frustrated with the time wasted to get this sorted - not sure if I am now sorted or not - as no replies to recent emails. If they do not recognise it by Feb 3rd then formal proceedings come in to play.

When you think you did the right thing many months ago and to then be treated and questioned like an inconvenient idiotic pariah, I find it quite insulting.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CharlotteRose90 · 19/01/2022 23:21

Could they be worried you got the placebo dose in the trial? A friend of mine got a jab in the trials and she works for the nhs. She was told hers was a placebo so she had one more vaccine and now she’s fine.

Please
or

parietal · 19/01/2022 23:22

they are being ridiculous and you should definitely take this to the local papers if it is not sorted quickly.

Please
or

Dunnos · 19/01/2022 23:22

I have a family member who had the same thing happen today. I hope it gets sorted for you soon and without much more hassle!

Please
or

Finallylostit · 19/01/2022 23:24

Astrazeneca so yes definitely approved!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

loulou252419 · 19/01/2022 23:25

I’m genuinely surprised you are shocked by this if you work in the NHS! I’m presuming you don’t work in an administrative role. NHS administration processes are the most inefficient, antiquated I have ever come across. The whole system is 15 years behind where it should be!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.