Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

No snorers allowed camping

Franklyfrost · 20/08/2021 00:29

Just that.

Having finally managed to get to sleep on our mysteriously but persistently deflating air mattress someone in the field next door wakes me up making a noise like a food processor being turned on and off. I have young kids in the tent with me and older kids in the tent text door so I can’t wear eye plugs. It’s a family campsite so it’s not just me who won’t be able to wear ear plugs. Just don’t go camping near others if you snore. They must know they snore because they’re not pitched up alone, so their party must all have come prepared with earplugs.

YABU camping is for everyone, you can’t discriminate
YANBU camping is not for someone who makes a really loud noise all night long to show off how well they’re sleeping while stopping anyone else from getting what rest they can

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

SuperFairy · 20/08/2021 01:42

Of course the alternative is to drink so much alcohol that you collapse into a stupor and don’t hear the snoring….
Whilst very likely snoring very loudly yourself 😆

Please
or

Askingforfriend · 20/08/2021 01:43

So if you are in a hotel room snoring that could bother people. If you are camping that could bother people. Maybe snorers should just never leave the house.

Or, maybe you could accept that there is probably something you do that is really annoying too and someone else is tolerating it.

We had a neighbor that used to complain that another neighbors dogs barked a lot when they were at work. I gently mentioned that all of us were loud in our own way. I didn't mention that they were fucking awful loud. Really obnoxious.

We live somewhere where you can wild camp within four or more hours away. Our preference is to drive an extra half an hour down a washboard and pothole road to get away from people and their noise. When I'm in a campground I expect to hear children, dogs, drunken laughter etc.

Please
or

RampantIvy · 20/08/2021 01:47

Those of you who snore - what steps have you taken to address this problem?

Please
or

saltinesandcoffeecups · 20/08/2021 02:37

@RampantIvy

I hear that sleeping in open spaces with a lot of fresh air helps.
Please
or

fourminutestosavetheworld · 20/08/2021 03:57

I think it's really just one of those 'annoying but normal' noises you have to accept when camping.

Like the occasional baby crying, young children waking up early, tent unzipping as someone needs to go to the loo etc

It's not in the same category as inconsiderate noise - drunken shouting at 2am, loud music - IMO.

You do have options to book somewhere more remote, or with more space between pitches, or to use ear plugs. You can't choose to do neither and then complain.

Please
or

fourminutestosavetheworld · 20/08/2021 04:01

@RampantIvy

DP snores. Solutions are limited. No over-the-counter remedies have helped and surgery is extreme, uncomfortable and doesn't always work (assuming GP will agree to refer). Losing weight and sleeping on your side do make a difference.
Please
or

StoppinBy · 20/08/2021 04:01

Unfortunately YABU but I totally get it and would be knocking on the tent and running away so they are hopefully kept awake long enough for me to get to sleep.

Snorers are the worst and bring out my desire to suffocate them lol

Please
or

thecognoscenti · 20/08/2021 04:06

@RampantIvy

Some of us have tried and tried and not found anything that works. The only solution appears to be not to fall asleep, ever. So get off your high horse.
Please
or

WTF475878237NC · 20/08/2021 04:08

Maybe snorers should just never leave the house.

^ this is the best solution Grin

I hope you threw the apple

Please
or

TarpaulinEyes · 20/08/2021 04:19

I once stayed in a mountain refuge where the beds were large slabs that slept 7 people. I was on a group holiday and one of our group snored. He used to wake up around 5am having had a wonderful night's sleep and ready for the days walking. Everyone else was exhausted because he had snored all night and the noise echoed round the room.

This was over 35 years ago and I can still remember my annoyance. OP throw apples or if that doesn't work something larger - like a tent - to stifle the noise/snorer.

Please
or

BeachDrifting · 20/08/2021 04:33

This is why I don’t do camping. Sleeping on the floor hearing everyone else’s noise! No thanks.

Please
or

OverByYer · 20/08/2021 05:12

I remember going camping once and there was a baby crying and crying. My son aged about 8 at the time yelled ‘ shut your crying machine up will you’
I swear the whole site went into stunned silence. I had the giggles.
You could try that tactic

Please
or

aquashiv · 20/08/2021 05:23

I've got loud kids near me. I tune them out. I snore my dog snores too. The woman opposite shouted urn the fucking kettle off you gibbon in her sleep.

Please
or

pinkcircustop · 20/08/2021 05:28

YANBU. It’s really selfish.

The majority of snorers do fuck all about it and just expect everyone else to live with it. I would personally be making sure that if they were selfishly disturbing everyone else’s sleep, they wouldn’t be sleeping either.

It’s not acceptable for one person to be sleeping soundly while everyone around them suffers.

Please
or

grannycake · 20/08/2021 05:29

Love camping but earplugs are an essential item - YABU not to have packed some

Please
or

pinkcircustop · 20/08/2021 05:31

@OverByYer

I remember going camping once and there was a baby crying and crying. My son aged about 8 at the time yelled ‘ shut your crying machine up will you’
I swear the whole site went into stunned silence. I had the giggles.
You could try that tactic

You had the giggles? You should be parenting your son not to be so rude, not encouraging his poor behaviour.

Babies cry. They can’t help it.

Snorers can (though they will protest that they’ve tried everything Hmm)

Did you stop for a second to think how your so made that poor mother feel? She’s already going to be upset that her baby couldn’t be calmed and on top of that there are rude kids yelling at her making her feel even worse. Shame on you.
Please
or

Kapalika · 20/08/2021 05:49

Most of us are women on here who put up with that shit. Me included. Snoring is slow fucking torture.

Please
or

StoppinBy · 20/08/2021 06:00

@OverByYer

That's terrible!

There's a difference between a parent trying to settle their baby and someone snoring the campgrounds down and keeping everyone awake while getting a deep sleep themselves.

I would have been very embarrassed and marched my child over there to apologise. Laughing at your child's rudeness SMH.

Please
or

Seagullsstopit · 20/08/2021 06:06

How did you find the wildlife at 4.30am?
Or is the sound of magpies murdering each other acceptable?
Serious campers pack ear plugs. I'm sure the kids can cope with waking you if they have an issue.

Please
or

Sunshineboo · 20/08/2021 06:20

snorers can not help it!

OP - if you are brave enough to write a nasty note, you should be brave enough to pop
by and say it nicely and directly.

you can't think how to do that? in that case don't do anything.

Please
or

newnortherner111 · 20/08/2021 06:20

Record it, make sure it is at full volume, play it back at a set time when walking past the tent.

Please
or

Boood · 20/08/2021 06:24

You sound absolutely lovely, OP.

Please
or

Sciurus83 · 20/08/2021 06:26

Ooh this thread brought the snorers out! Agree with you OP, if you know it's so bad it can be heard across a campsite you should get a caravan!

Please
or

TwooThirty · 20/08/2021 06:29

@Kapalika

Most of us are women on here who put up with that shit. Me included. Snoring is slow fucking torture.

Every time I read threads like these (men merrily menning away and women putting up with it) I feel more and more lucky that I’m a lesbian.
Please
or

x2boys · 20/08/2021 06:37

Are you quite sure you dont snore yourself Op?
Those in glass houses etc...

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.