Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

No snorers allowed camping

Franklyfrost · 20/08/2021 00:29

Just that.

Having finally managed to get to sleep on our mysteriously but persistently deflating air mattress someone in the field next door wakes me up making a noise like a food processor being turned on and off. I have young kids in the tent with me and older kids in the tent text door so I can’t wear eye plugs. It’s a family campsite so it’s not just me who won’t be able to wear ear plugs. Just don’t go camping near others if you snore. They must know they snore because they’re not pitched up alone, so their party must all have come prepared with earplugs.

YABU camping is for everyone, you can’t discriminate
YANBU camping is not for someone who makes a really loud noise all night long to show off how well they’re sleeping while stopping anyone else from getting what rest they can

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

purplesequins · 20/08/2021 07:06

I'm intrigued at the concept of there being some kind of remedy or fix for snoring, and people that snore are "selfish".

my dad stopled snoring when he lost weight from 'overweight' bmi to normal range.
I would guess that for at least 80 percent of people excess body fat is the reason they snore.

Please
or

ShinyHappySummers · 20/08/2021 07:10

@purplesequins

I'm intrigued at the concept of there being some kind of remedy or fix for snoring, and people that snore are "selfish".

my dad stopled snoring when he lost weight from 'overweight' bmi to normal range.
I would guess that for at least 80 percent of people excess body fat is the reason they snore.

And drinking alcohol.
Please
or

DriveMeCrazy1974 · 20/08/2021 07:13

Seriously? You think a person who may snore shouldn't be allowed to go camping? Wow!
Next you'll be saying that people who cook breakfast on their camp stove shouldn't be allowed to do that first thing in the morning, in case you're hungry and it affects you.

I'm wondering if you and your children are completely silent first thing in the morning or whether your children will be playing loudly and waking up the people who may want a lie in?
Don't go camping if you don't like other people's noises.
People snore - often if they're relaxed or enjoyed a couple of drinks because they're on holiday.
Some responses on this thread are utterly ridiculous.

Please
or

Porridgeislife · 20/08/2021 07:13

@RampantIvy

Those of you who snore - what steps have you taken to address this problem?

Well, I’ve snored since a baby so unless you can rewind time & my facial geometry, not much. Surgery has limited success (had it already) & a very unpleasant recovery.

By the same token, if every health condition/genetic quirk has the potential for annoyance, obese people should never sit down on trains and tall people should never go to concerts.
Please
or

LadyLaSnack · 20/08/2021 07:14

So we know it’s not ok to abuse or discriminate on grounds of medical conditions or disability, but snoring is fair game? There are some absolutely grim attitudes towards other people on here.

You know that people can’t help snoring? If you yourself don’t snore, that’s down to luck - exactly the same as anything else about your biology.

And to the ‘have you tried doing anything about it’ brigade - what do you think the options are exactly? Do you think the NHS is happy to operate on perfectly healthy people? Do you think the gimmicks work?

Bullies.

Please
or

Brefugee · 20/08/2021 07:17

It's annoying but what can you do? Buy ear plugs and do your best.

If it was a crying baby you'd be told parents are allowed to live exactly the life they want. People crashing around after midnight in a campsite with rules about no noise after 11pm? your are a joy sucking vampire squid (happened here recently, i may be paraphrasing). Your delightful children playing loud football after getting up at 6am? people should expect noise on campsites.

I should imagine lots of people are bothered by it. But it's a fact of camping life that it isn't silent.

Please
or

Oblomov21 · 20/08/2021 07:18

How is he supposed to stop it?

We were in our caravan last month next to Dom Joly on his phone. He was equally annoying. He also was strumming on his guitar, badly. I kept wandering around going "hello", "hello", "Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya". Loudly. He took no notice.

Please
or

Knittingupastorm · 20/08/2021 07:20

@purplesequins

You “would guess”? Is that based on anything beyond guessing? Even if it’s true, that’s still 20% of snorers who can’t lose weight to solve it.

My DH has a sinus problem that makes it hard for him to breathe through his nose even when awake, so he snores at night. He (eventually!) managed to get an appointment at the hospital but this was in early March 2020. He was meant to have a follow up to discuss treatment options if the prescription they gave him didn’t work (it didn’t) but obviously lockdown happened and he’s not had any further appointments. He can’t get a GP appointment either.
Please
or

Isthisit22 · 20/08/2021 07:23

Some vile opinions on here.
I'm another skinny person who has inherited snoring from my mum.her sister even had the operation to stop the snoring (it didn't work).
So it's ok to mock (record and shame?) Genetic conditions now?

Please
or

Nesbo · 20/08/2021 07:24

My DP only snores when they are on their back, if I roll them over onto their front it stops.

Please
or

Window1 · 20/08/2021 07:24

@WineInTheBlood

So many people snore though. I do sympathise because my husband sounds like a freight train, but I think YABU because it's something so many people do and can't help. I've been camping loads of times and have heard multiple people snoring. If you're camping I think you have to accept it isn't going to be peaceful unfortunately.

Agree with this.
Please
or

liveforsummer · 20/08/2021 07:25

Just wear the ear plugs. They don't totally cancel all noise and your dc will wake you up if they need you anyway

Please
or

thecognoscenti · 20/08/2021 07:26

I'm not overweight. I barely drink. I've tried strips, sprays, and a sort of strap to keep my jaw in place. None worked. Fundamentally my facial structure means I snore. What exactly do those 'snorers are selfish and lazy' people suggest I do?

Please
or

Brefugee · 20/08/2021 07:27

also wanted to say that airbeds aren't the best thing for camping.

Please
or

WaterBottle123 · 20/08/2021 07:27

Snoring is a largely male problem which women are expected to tolerate, throw the apple! Smash the patriarchy!

However YABU to go camping and expect any sleep or enjoyment.

Please
or

birdsong7 · 20/08/2021 07:27

YANBU op.
That would drive me bananas.
They obviously know they snore so it would have been considerate of them to request a pitch at the furthest end of the field or something.

I definitely would have 'accidentally' tripped over there guide line and given their tent a good shake on the way to the loo.

Please
or

DrSbaitso · 20/08/2021 07:28

I sympathise and secretly agree that snorers should set themselves up away from everyone else, not use shared dorms in hostels etc. Practically, of course, it can't happen. Ear plugs are shit.

Just another reason why I don't go camping.

Please
or

Askingforfriend · 20/08/2021 07:28

If someone who snores "shouldn't be allowed" to go to a popular campground then these people shouldn't be allowed either

people who have children who are loud and annoying

people who have dogs that bark

people who like to sit round a campfire and chat late

people who cook bacon for breakfast and inflict the smell on vegans (I'm not vegan)

people who smoke or have a campfire that drifts into the next pitch

people who play soccer or music or whatever mid afternoon if I want a nap

People who talk on their phone

People who have campers with sliding doors that whoosh bang

etc etc.

There are so so many things that are irritating and unpleasant to deal with when you are close to someone else.

Please
or

KaptainKaveman · 20/08/2021 07:29

This thread is exactly why I will never go camping.

Please
or

SimonJT · 20/08/2021 07:31

@KaptainKaveman

This thread is exactly why I will never go camping.

The only downside of camping for me is that everytime you go there is a family who seem to think they own the site.
Please
or

GlaskinsPerpetual · 20/08/2021 07:31

I snore these days and I wouldn't camp as it's unkind to keep people awake all night and spoil their holiday

Please
or

DrSbaitso · 20/08/2021 07:32

@GlaskinsPerpetual

I snore these days and I wouldn't camp as it's unkind to keep people awake all night and spoil their holiday

Thank you.
Please
or

Oceanbliss · 20/08/2021 07:33

purplesequins I would guess that for at least 80 percent of people excess body fat is the reason they snore.

I know children who are definitely not overweight in the slightest who snore. So, I think you could be wrong there. I think in their cases it’s to do with sinuses. However, I’m not a doctor so I’m not certain of that.

Please
or

onelittlefrog · 20/08/2021 07:35

Just don’t go camping near others if you snore

How about don't go camping near others if you can't handle any noise?

If you go camping in a communal area then you have to expect other humans to be around. Snoring, babies waking up, people talking... this stuff is going to happen on a campsite.

Yeah it's annoying, but it's life. You chose to camp in a field with a load of strangers.

Stay in a hotel if you want a quiet room.

Please
or

HasselbackForLife · 20/08/2021 07:36

Totally understand the frustration but don't send the note - don't be that person!
When you go camping you can't expect a peaceful night. Other people are on the campsite and they will make noise. I'm afraid you just have to deal with it. The note would be incredibly rude.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.