Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

No snorers allowed camping

Franklyfrost · 20/08/2021 00:29

Just that.

Having finally managed to get to sleep on our mysteriously but persistently deflating air mattress someone in the field next door wakes me up making a noise like a food processor being turned on and off. I have young kids in the tent with me and older kids in the tent text door so I can’t wear eye plugs. It’s a family campsite so it’s not just me who won’t be able to wear ear plugs. Just don’t go camping near others if you snore. They must know they snore because they’re not pitched up alone, so their party must all have come prepared with earplugs.

YABU camping is for everyone, you can’t discriminate
YANBU camping is not for someone who makes a really loud noise all night long to show off how well they’re sleeping while stopping anyone else from getting what rest they can

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

spotcheck · 20/08/2021 07:36

Op
Perhaps camping isn't for you? Other people will be making all kinds of other noises too.
If you want your own quiet space, perhaps Air b &b? Or a caravan?

Please
or

Chersfrozenface · 20/08/2021 07:37

You do have my sympathies, OP. Camping sucks.

We only go on camping holidays in years we can't afford to do anything else.

Anyway, try not to drive after a night of little sleep, you won't be fit for it. And try to insist on the kids letting you have a nap during the day to catch up.

Please
or

LemonJelly76 · 20/08/2021 07:38

I'm with the OP. It should be used as a form of torture. IMO there is absolutely nothing worse than being kept awake.

I think it is selfish of the snorer to go on a camping holiday

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 20/08/2021 07:38

Some people only snore when camping...not in their soft comfy beds where they can get in the best sleeping position.

What about people who pass gas loudly in the mornings? They can be heard several tents away...

Please
or

AllTheUsernamesAreAlreadyTaken · 20/08/2021 07:38

I think, if you’re a light sleeper, it might be you who is not suited to camping in a busy camp site.

Please
or

Fizzysweets1 · 20/08/2021 07:39

I’ve used wax earplugs and they’re amazing, they actually stay in my ears and block so much noise out, give them a try.

Please
or

picklemewalnuts · 20/08/2021 07:40

I didn't snore till my first pregnancy. The same hormone that softens everything up in preparation for childbirth left me a snorer. Cheers kiddo.

Both my parents snored though, my slender dad and my overweight mum.

I think assuming it's people's fault they snore is pretty harsh.

Please
or

Bimblybomeyelash · 20/08/2021 07:40

Wow there are a lot of humourless people on this thread! I’m sure that no rational person would seriously consider banning snorers from camp sites. However, sleep deprivation and rational thinking do not go hand in hand! I really must find my ear plugs for my camping trip next week!

Please
or

PrincessNutella · 20/08/2021 07:44

My nephews were screamy little boys who would not sleep through the night. They were also not very charming campers.

Please
or

GarnetsandRubies · 20/08/2021 07:44

YANBU. One of the main reasons I won't live with my DP of 7 years is because of his snoring. No fucking way I'm having that in my house stopping me from getting any sleep. I'd definitely be having stern words with the snorer today OP, it would completely ruin my holiday if that happened to me

Please
or

DrSbaitso · 20/08/2021 07:46

@Aroundtheworldin80moves

Some people only snore when camping...not in their soft comfy beds where they can get in the best sleeping position.

What about people who pass gas loudly in the mornings? They can be heard several tents away...

I've never been kept awake all night by someone doing that...
Please
or

DrSbaitso · 20/08/2021 07:47

@PrincessNutella

My nephews were screamy little boys who would not sleep through the night. They were also not very charming campers.

If you know your kids scream through the night, you really shouldn't take them to a campsite until they sleep better.
Please
or

Oceanbliss · 20/08/2021 07:48

@Franklyfrost popular campsites will always have noise from people. If you want the peaceful, quiet camping experience then it is up to you to find a more secluded camping ground.

I love camping and have camped where there are lots of people and camped in secluded paradise (no toilets or ammenities though).

The only real issue I have had camping was when a bunch of people got so drunk and rowdy, and behaving in an intimidating way that I was scared so I packed up and left.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 20/08/2021 07:51

@thecognoscenti

I'm not overweight. I barely drink. I've tried strips, sprays, and a sort of strap to keep my jaw in place. None worked. Fundamentally my facial structure means I snore. What exactly do those 'snorers are selfish and lazy' people suggest I do?

See your doctor. Sometimes it's to do with your nose structure/airways and there are things they can do to help.
Obviously only if it's actually causing problems in your life though, otherwise crack on Grin
Please
or

RantyAunty · 20/08/2021 07:51

Are campsites always packed or does everyone tend to go at the same time?

Please
or

Randommother · 20/08/2021 07:52

Tents arent soundproof, if you cant deal with that then you probably shouldnt be camping... if you want to camp then it's worth investing in a decent camp bed or self inflating mattress, airbeds are rubbish and wont help your sleep. You should also use earplugs, I've used them for years, if the kids need you, they will still wake you up.

I once had someone complain to me at 3am that my crying baby was making too much noise, and could I please stop him! I (no so politely) told her to fuck right off... I felt terrible about it though and apologised to the other groups camping near us the next day, they were lovely - most didn't hear it (earplugs!) and those who did were really understanding.

Please
or

DrSbaitso · 20/08/2021 07:54

There's ambient, unavoidable noise of people moving around or shuffling on a campsite, and then there's great honking loud disruption that goes on all night, which the snorer must know about. If you know that you create a loud disturbance all night which means others can't sleep while you do, then I do think the onus should be on you to find a way to keep it away from everyone else. You're one person, disturbing everyone around you and potentially ruining their break.

Please
or

utican · 20/08/2021 07:55

Same, pickle. Although it predated being pregnant, I'd tried a few remedies with no luck over the years and DP was become more pernickity with his sleep routine all round.

Finally cracked and ordered me to the GP when I was in my sodding third trimester. The doctor looked at me like I was mad, of course I was snoring at eight months gone! We haven't slept in the same bed since so I've no idea if I ever stopped after...

Please
or

TwoLeftSocksWithHoles · 20/08/2021 07:55

@Franklyfrost

If I’m ianbu I’ll leave a note tomorrow- ‘Hi, We’d all be happier if you could give your snorer a poke during the night. Thanks’

If it is the lady of the tent who is snoring, she may not appreciate your note. Although on the other hand she may come round and thank you!
Please
or

OldTurtleNewShell · 20/08/2021 07:56

YABU, I'm afraid. I camp a lot and other people's sounds are just part and parcel of that.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 20/08/2021 07:57

Maybe people who are intolerant of noise shouldn't go camping.

Please
or

Horst · 20/08/2021 08:00

Should of seen the warden last year. Trying to get people to stop talking outside at silent time. He failed miserably because they argued they wouldn’t be able to sleep anyway so if the warden could get the jumbo jet (their words) to stop taking off in the tent next door then they would go inside to bed.

The warden left them to it after making a comment about he wished he bloody could stop it.

Please
or

BarryTheKestrel · 20/08/2021 08:03

Camping is noisy. Between talking, crying babies, snoring, coughing, animal noises (we camped next to a tree with a very loud owl once.. Longest 3 nights ever), you either deal with it, or find an empty field to camp in instead.

You are sleeping outside with a piece of fabric over you, nothing will drown out every day sounds and your enjoyment of something does not trump someone else's because of this.

Please
or

Simplelobsterhat · 20/08/2021 08:05

I'm confused by the idea that people are either snorers or not. My dh occasionally snores but most of the time doesn't and I think he would say the same about me. I assume there are variations in position, how blocked our noses are, how deeply sleeping etc.
So should we never go camping because it MIGHT be one of the occasions we snore?
Maybe the person op could hear doesn't always snore either.
As it happens, we were camping a few days ago and dh did snore a bit of and on (giving him a nudge helped a bit). I don't think it was loud enough to bother anyone but me, but I don't know. I expect the people talking after we went to bed thought they were being quiet enough. That's camping for you.

Please
or

Mamajunebugjones · 20/08/2021 08:07

DrSbaitso
Sounds entirely reasonable

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.