Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

No snorers allowed camping

Franklyfrost · 20/08/2021 00:29

Just that.

Having finally managed to get to sleep on our mysteriously but persistently deflating air mattress someone in the field next door wakes me up making a noise like a food processor being turned on and off. I have young kids in the tent with me and older kids in the tent text door so I can’t wear eye plugs. It’s a family campsite so it’s not just me who won’t be able to wear ear plugs. Just don’t go camping near others if you snore. They must know they snore because they’re not pitched up alone, so their party must all have come prepared with earplugs.

YABU camping is for everyone, you can’t discriminate
YANBU camping is not for someone who makes a really loud noise all night long to show off how well they’re sleeping while stopping anyone else from getting what rest they can

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

FangsForTheMemory · 06/11/2021 21:15

ZOMBIE!

Please
or

Jeeby · 06/11/2021 21:13

Yea no worries. I'll just never go enjoy camping again just to appease you 🖕

Please
or

DillonPanthersTexas · 26/08/2021 10:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Quotes withdrawn post

Please
or

MakeMathsFun · 26/08/2021 10:12

Also, campsites are filled with snorers. "45% of people snore at least sometimes and 25% of people snore regularly" (disturbmenot.co/snoring-statistics/). So everyone just needs to accept it as it is inevitable to be heard in a tent setting. You could ask to pitch in a more secluded spot if at all possible.

Please
or

1985kelkim · 25/08/2021 17:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Crazycrazylady · 24/08/2021 19:02

I find snoring totally intolerable . I think it's the randomness of it. It's never the same and just when you think they've sound a rhythm , there's a totally different snort ..
Thank God my dh doesn't snore. I honestly would not be able to tolerate it!

Please
or

Pugdogmom · 24/08/2021 18:22

I am a snorer, but I take my snore pillow with me ( it works), or nasal strips. I have never been so bad that I have woken up a campsite. ( My family would tell me).
I do remember a snorer once in a tiny wee hiking tent on a campsite ( they had motorbikes). He went to bed really early ( like 8.30pm/9pm), and drowned everyone out. I felt sorry for his poor wife/partner.
The rest of us were sat outside our tents giggling , we just had more wine so we could sleep.

Please
or

MuddyMolly · 24/08/2021 16:52

YABU, and I think you know it. "If this internet posts gets enough votes in my favour I'll write them a note." If you don't think you're being unreasonable, why the hesitation to say it directly to their face?

Please
or

DarlingFell · 23/08/2021 23:46

@Letsbekindplease

I am a terrible snorer and probably worse when camping. Nothing will stop me snoring or camping and partner is happy to take the blame for it if anyone says anything.

You should change your name…
Please
or

DarlingFell · 23/08/2021 23:39

@DillonPanthersTexas

Oh FGS. What are you going to do about birds, cockerels, cows, industrial vehicles, cars, airoplanes, children that wake up screaming in the night?

Christ, where do you go camping?

Grin Grin
Please
or

MakeMathsFun · 23/08/2021 22:27

There are often many other sounds at night in the great outdoors, such as running water, wind, creaking trees, traffic, crickets chirping, animal footsteps, owls, sheep bleating, etc. So, even if there was no snoring, its highly likely that other noises would disturb a light sleeper anyway. So if you don't like the sound of (natural) sounds, then don't camp in a tent!

Please
or

AllTheUsernamesAreAlreadyTaken · 23/08/2021 20:27

@Thevoiceofreason2021

When I gave birth there were 6 mums + babies on the ward. The lady opposite had her husband stay for 3 nights and his snoring could have woken the dead. Now that is inconsiderate. With camping just use earplugs. They won’t block it out completely but will muffle it enough to be bearable and you will still be able to hear the kids

That is so unbelievably selfish. What a rubbish start for you! The first night is the only one where baby actually sleeps for the next 10 months/ years
Please
or

CantChatNow · 23/08/2021 20:21

Tbh I’ve heard all sorts through tent walls (including one particularly awful night where the entire campsite heard a couple shagging until someone brave shouted “we can all hear you you know!”)
I think if you want to control completely the environment you’re sleeping in you’re better off in a holiday cottage. It’s pot luck who you end up with and different people definitely have different expectations for their environment. YABU to say that people who snore shouldn’t camp!

Please
or

VK456 · 23/08/2021 20:14

@Carycy
Thank you

Please
or

VK456 · 23/08/2021 20:12

@Franklyfrost
Thank you

Please
or

Thevoiceofreason2021 · 23/08/2021 20:04

When I gave birth there were 6 mums + babies on the ward. The lady opposite had her husband stay for 3 nights and his snoring could have woken the dead. Now that is inconsiderate. With camping just use earplugs. They won’t block it out completely but will muffle it enough to be bearable and you will still be able to hear the kids

Please
or

ilikecheesecake · 23/08/2021 17:32

No one expects absolute silence when camping but having to listen to someone who snores ALL night and not a little snore but the loudest snoring I've ever heard is torture. I slept in the car last night which was uncomfy but not having to listen to that monotonous sound over and over again was worth it. going to get the car all kitted out properly tonight seats down and make a proper bed in the boot.

Please
or

MidsummerMimi · 23/08/2021 00:33

You need to give the earplugs that you can’t use, to The Snorer to put in their nostrils.

Please
or

RampantIvy · 22/08/2021 14:44

Actually more often snoring is a direct result of drinking/smoking too much and being overweight. If you have addressed the afore mentioned and are still snoring then visit your doctor.

This ^^
As I said earlier, I realise that some people snore who are not overweight, or have medical conditions or just have no reason why they snore, but I agree that any kind of snoring that can't be dealt with by losing weight or drinking less should be investigated as it can result in sleep apnoea.

Doctors take sleep apnoea much more seriously these days.

Please
or

1ittlegreen · 22/08/2021 14:00

@THisbackwithavengeance

Ok not the point of this thread but those of you with snoring DHs should get them to the GP for referral to a sleep clinic.

Snoring is a symptom of sleep apnoea which causes massive strain on the heart/body. Google it.

Actually more often snoring is a direct result of drinking/smoking too much and being overweight. If you have addressed the afore mentioned and are still snoring then visit your doctor. Don't make a doctor appointment if you haven't been bothered to try giving up alcohol, smoking and losing weight as it puts a strain on our NHS.
Please
or

DillonPanthersTexas · 22/08/2021 13:16

In fairness I don't think anyone here has demanded or expected absolute silence when camping.

Please
or

MolyHolyGuacamole · 22/08/2021 10:59

@LadyLaSnack

I can't believe the volume of threats of violence on this thread against people who have a medical condition. If these threats (however jokey) were against women, POC, disabled people they would be shot down. Why is it then OK to say you want to suffocate, or throw things at another human being for (literally) breathing? This sort of attitude is why a poster upthread's 13 year old daughter got kicked through the tent in the middle of the night - joking about violence against others is not OK.

I also don't see why some people feel that their biological need for perfect silence (when they have opted to camp on a campsite full of other people) trumps anyone else biological need to breathe whilst asleep.

I think expecting silence when camping is absolutely ridiculous, but this is OTT.
Please
or

grannycake · 22/08/2021 10:41

How would you police that. As has been said by PPs not everyone is aware that they snore/or only snore camping due to changed sleeping position. Will there be snoring patrols insisting families take down and re setup their tents in the middle of the night

It's a ridiculous suggestion - earplugs are the answer. No skin in the game as we now have a motorhome and my tent days are behind me. The two worst snorers in my family group was one of our dogs and my DD when she was small

Please
or

Franklyfrost · 22/08/2021 10:24

@WaterLeakWoes
@DrSbaitso

Smile

Attention camp site owning mumsnetters, we have a niche market for you. You’ll make a fortune and be a trail blazer.

OP's posts:
Please
or

WaterLeakWoes · 22/08/2021 10:12

@Franklyfrost

Okay, so if:
1) snoring is a disability
2) camping is a human right
3) there is a level of noise beyond which the majority of people can't sleep

then a snorers field is the answer? set a bit apart, not exclusively for snorers, just everyone who is okay with loud continuous noises during the night.

Good idea. I'm a snorer who wouldn't camp and inflict my snoring on people all night but think this is fair
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.