Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

No snorers allowed camping

Franklyfrost · 20/08/2021 00:29

Just that.

Having finally managed to get to sleep on our mysteriously but persistently deflating air mattress someone in the field next door wakes me up making a noise like a food processor being turned on and off. I have young kids in the tent with me and older kids in the tent text door so I can’t wear eye plugs. It’s a family campsite so it’s not just me who won’t be able to wear ear plugs. Just don’t go camping near others if you snore. They must know they snore because they’re not pitched up alone, so their party must all have come prepared with earplugs.

YABU camping is for everyone, you can’t discriminate
YANBU camping is not for someone who makes a really loud noise all night long to show off how well they’re sleeping while stopping anyone else from getting what rest they can

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Knittingupastorm · 20/08/2021 06:41

Camping isn’t for me, but if I ever did go, I’d assume ear plugs were an essential item anyway. Other people’s noise is inevitable.

And shouting at someone to shut their crying baby up is so rude. I doubt the parents were sitting there listening to the baby cry and not trying to soothe them, so what does shouting out even achieve except making someone feel shit.

Please
or

EdgeOfACoin · 20/08/2021 06:44

@OverByYer

I remember going camping once and there was a baby crying and crying. My son aged about 8 at the time yelled ‘ shut your crying machine up will you’
I swear the whole site went into stunned silence. I had the giggles.
You could try that tactic

Yes. I'm sure the parents were just chilling out, not trying to pacify their baby at all.

Your son sounds incredibly rude.
Please
or

MinesAPintOfTea · 20/08/2021 06:44

It is the fault of the campsite for packing people in. If you were much more spread out then the nose would be further and quieter.

Of course you also might not have been one of the ones who got a pitch in the uk holiday summer we are having. That would also save you from hearing someone snore

Please
or

lifehappened · 20/08/2021 06:47

There's always a lot of nastiness about snorers on Mumsnet, It always baffles me like it's some sort of leprosy. I think I snore sometimes and my husband is too kind to say anything but on the odd occasion I wake and he's in the next room he just says he wasn't comfortable. He's nice like

Please
or

girlmom21 · 20/08/2021 06:49

Surely you just move your tent further away if its that much of an inconvenience?

When I've done camping trips we've always packed so much into the days that we could sleep through a tornado. Try that.

We did actually wake up morning with half the campsite trying to local and retrieve gazebos and the like that had blown away in the night Grin

Please
or

SimonJT · 20/08/2021 06:49

@RampantIvy

Those of you who snore - what steps have you taken to address this problem?

My husband snores, its due to his disability, he can’t magic away his disability.
Please
or

tickledtiger · 20/08/2021 06:50

I think you picked the wrong type of holiday for a good nights sleep op. Sounds horrible trying to sleep on an air bed in a tent listening to some random snoring. Fuck that.

I do sympathise though, the persons family will be used to the snoring but it’ll disturb everyone else. So loud!

Please
or

SuperCaliFragalistic · 20/08/2021 06:52

What? You decide that the ideal holiday is to cram yourself into a field with a load of strangers for a few a few days despite that fact that you are intolerant of the noises that people make. And this is someone else's fault?

Newsflash OP: people make noises, they snore, they cry, they argue, they play. Stay home if you can't bear to be around other humans.

Please
or

musicalfrog · 20/08/2021 06:53

I have young kids and use ear plugs 🤷🏻‍♀️

Try one of those pop up camp sites next time. Huge fields where you can pitch up nice and far from everyone else.

Please
or

EdgeOfACoin · 20/08/2021 06:54

Snoring is different, though. If spray doesn't work, nasal strips don't work and OTC remedies don't work, then yes snorers need to reflect on whether camping in the close vicinity of others is a socially acceptable pastime for them.

I hate the way earplugs are promoted as the solution for everything on these boards. For one, I don't like depriving myself of one of my senses. I want to be able to hear things like a fire alarm or if someone is trying to break into my tent or whatever. The OP has already said she has young children so earplugs aren't an option. Secondly, I find it very difficult to get to sleep in earplugs (I've never found any that are comfortable, and as stated, I am not happy shutting down one of my senses.) I tend to rip them out in my sleep anyway, so I have a habit of losing them.

If someone knows they snore, the onus is on them to take steps to address the issue and, if necessary, choose more remote camping experiences.

Please
or

THisbackwithavengeance · 20/08/2021 06:54

Ok not the point of this thread but those of you with snoring DHs should get them to the GP for referral to a sleep clinic.

Snoring is a symptom of sleep apnoea which causes massive strain on the heart/body. Google it.

Please
or

Muddydoor · 20/08/2021 06:54

Honestly, I think you could cope better if your bed didn’t keep deflating. But yep, definitely the fault of the snorer.

YABVVU. And shame on everyone who thinks it is acceptable to yell at or throw things at other campers.

Please
or

Ledkr · 20/08/2021 06:57

Can we also ban children who are whiney or loud before 8?
Adults who speak in foghorn voices walking home from a night out! (Can you see those rows of tents and caravans all shut up in darkness?)
See also families who sit up yapping and laughing loudly half the night as if it's daytime.
Thanks

Please
or

Oceanbliss · 20/08/2021 06:57

The campsite is full, very full (but great aside from the snorer)

@Franklyfrost if the campsite is full then where else are they supposed to go and set up their tent so as not to disturb people who are light sleepers?

I know it is annoying but life is filled with stuff that can annoy us. We just have to figure out a way to deal with it.

Could you play some relaxing music on your phone (without headphones) that will distract from the snoring and help you and your children sleep better?

Please
or

VetInAVat · 20/08/2021 07:01

Those of you who are saying snorers should do something about it, what exactly should they do? Surgery is deemed non essential on the NHS, so impossible to get unless you're loaded. I'm skinny, sleep on my front or side, tried up the nose thingies, anti histamines, anti snore strips, please, tell me what else I can try?
As for the lesbian poster, my sister has a long suffering partner of 26 years who thankfully is able to just tune out her concordesque night time noises. I really feel for her when I go and stay, then we're both at it! It's definitely not just a male thing. We inherited whatever the deformity is from our equally skinny mother.

Please
or

FawnFrenchieMum · 20/08/2021 07:01

@TwooThirty is being a lesbian a cure for snoring?! I’ll have to try it?!

Please
or

MotherOfGremlins · 20/08/2021 07:01

I snore. I've lost weight, I sleep on my side, I've had a sleep study done, I've tried a thing that fits around my teeth to hold my jaw in place, I've tried a little ring that's supposed to act on a pressure point to stop it. I've cut out alcohol, I've asked my husband to wake me every time it happens, I've changed my bed time and exercise routine.

I still snore and there's nothing that can be done - I don't need CPAP because my O2 level is fine.

I also camp because I'm not wealthy and my children deserve a holiday as much as anyone else despite their mother's antisocial face shape. I hope I put up with other people's noise and irritating habits with a bit more grace than I've seen in some of these posts here.

Please
or

FlorallyBankrupt · 20/08/2021 07:02

I'm intrigued at the concept of there being some kind of remedy or fix for snoring, and people that snore are "selfish".

Isn't it the shape/structure of your sinuses and throat, the thickness of your neck, the floppiness/rigidity of your soft palate and your sleeping position that effects snoring? What the hell are you meant to do about that? I'd love to know - I knew a woman who had the surgery. They actually CUT the soft palate to stop it vibrating, imagine that - she was in absolute agony and on liquid morphine for weeks and it didn't even work. How is she selfish?

My husband snores at 72db. In the early days when he kept me awake, I invested in decent earplugs. Nowadays (23 years later) I can tune him out, mostly. It's like a plane taking off but he doesn't do it on purpose and he can't control it. I've been known to snore occasionally too, it's pretty normal I thought.

Dogs bark, babies cry, foxes scream, people talk, laugh, sneeze, make noise and snore. I struggle more to comprehend why anyone would go camping if they can't deal with actual sound, we don't exist in a perfect bubble.

Please
or

ShinyHappySummers · 20/08/2021 07:02

[quote Franklyfrost]@Isawthathaggis

This is not comforting. This is magimix on, magimix off, magimix on, magimix off, magimix on, magimix off…

True what you say about the children of snorers sleeping well, the younger children in our family are all good at sleeping when they need to even if it’s loud or light because they’re in a big household.[/quote]
Try being married to one of these people OP! 🙈😭

Please
or

Summerfun54321 · 20/08/2021 07:03

Never been camping in the U.K. where there isn’t someone keeping me awake with their snoring or chatting or child crying in the night. That’s why I hate camping in the U.K. At least in some other countries, tents are spread out a little more or amongst the trees and wildlife where you’re more likely to hear sounds of nature than some bloke snoring.

Please
or

ShinyHappySummers · 20/08/2021 07:03

@Sunnygold

I’m afraid I would yell “Stop fucking snoring!” at the top of my voice.

I do this. Often. It doesn't stop him.
Please
or

violetbunny · 20/08/2021 07:04

If you want to sleep in silence, don't go camping.
This is one reason I never do!

Please
or

purplesequins · 20/08/2021 07:04

oh I feel for you
my dad snored awfully and I swear the first good night's sleep I ever had as child was when at a sleepover at a friend's birthday!

tbh, just go for ear plugs (or ear phones with some music) next night.

I really have to say that eye plugs wouldn't really hell Grin

Please
or

Oceanbliss · 20/08/2021 07:04

EdgeOfACoin If someone knows they snore, the onus is on them to take steps to address the issue and, if necessary, choose more remote camping experiences.

If friends or family invited a person camping at a popular campsite that person is obligated to say ‘no, I can’t come because my snoring is socially unacceptable,’?

Don’t be so ridiculous!

Please
or

ShinyHappySummers · 20/08/2021 07:05

@FlorallyBankrupt

I'm intrigued at the concept of there being some kind of remedy or fix for snoring, and people that snore are "selfish".

Isn't it the shape/structure of your sinuses and throat, the thickness of your neck, the floppiness/rigidity of your soft palate and your sleeping position that effects snoring? What the hell are you meant to do about that? I'd love to know - I knew a woman who had the surgery. They actually CUT the soft palate to stop it vibrating, imagine that - she was in absolute agony and on liquid morphine for weeks and it didn't even work. How is she selfish?

My husband snores at 72db. In the early days when he kept me awake, I invested in decent earplugs. Nowadays (23 years later) I can tune him out, mostly. It's like a plane taking off but he doesn't do it on purpose and he can't control it. I've been known to snore occasionally too, it's pretty normal I thought.

Dogs bark, babies cry, foxes scream, people talk, laugh, sneeze, make noise and snore. I struggle more to comprehend why anyone would go camping if they can't deal with actual sound, we don't exist in a perfect bubble.

Which earplugs do you find work???? @FlorallyBankrupt
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.