My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Cats. As they are so popular on here (usually), can I please ask...

138 replies

WildRosie · 13/10/2020 08:59

...is it possible for girl cats to be pretty and boy cats to be handsome ? Or are cats just cats, regardless of any positive facial features ? My Mum used to describe females as 'pretty pussycats' which I found to be a bit twee, in the nicest possible wayWink. I don't know what she thought of tom cats.

OP posts:
Horsemad · 13/10/2020 09:33

Yep, definitely! Usually the girls have smaller, pretty faces and the boys have bigger heads and are handsome chaps! 😻

Beamur · 13/10/2020 09:37

Nah. Some boy cats are pretty and girl cats handsome. They're just words.
Some male cats end up a bit chunkier and bigger, females are often, but not always smaller.
My last boy cat was very slender and elegant and had a delicate face.

WildCherryBlossom · 13/10/2020 09:37

My neighbour a few doors down has an extremely pretty boy cat. He's dainty and graceful and just very, very pretty.

My boy cat is more handsome. Proud and leonine. As PP said, boy cats often have bigger or wider heads which lends itself more up regal or handsome looks than pretty.

OutrageousFlavourLikeFreesias · 13/10/2020 09:39

Generally, boy cats are chunkier, with thicker shoulders and heavier faces. Girl cats tend to be sleeker and more dainty. So on average, girl cats do conform more to the human standard of "pretty" and boys are more like the human standard of "handsome".

Having said that, lots of boy cats are long and slinky and lithe. And one of my female cats is a right old chonk and doesn't conform to the human female beauty standard at all. Grin

Branleuse · 13/10/2020 10:35

yes definitely. Its often possible to tell the difference just by face, especially entire tom cats

LadyofMisrule · 13/10/2020 10:40

Mine are siblings, and approximately 6 months old. The boy is twice the size of the girl. He is definitely handsome. She is beautiful.

PiggyPlumPie · 13/10/2020 10:43

My boy is beautiful! He's nearly 18 months old and still only little.

Very · 13/10/2020 10:43

I think all cats are pretty but some cats - often, but not always, boys - are more on the handsome side of things.

Oldraver · 13/10/2020 10:44

This picture came up this morning

Wonder which one is the pretty boy

IsThisNameTaken · 13/10/2020 10:44

My boy is definitely pretty - we were convinced he was a girl when he was a tiny kitten. Girl cat is short and stout - is cute but not pretty!

PuppyMonkey · 13/10/2020 10:45

A pretty cat (girl) called Buttercup.

lazylinguist · 13/10/2020 10:47

My boy cat is definitely pretty. He's small and slim with a pretty face.

Longdistance · 13/10/2020 10:54

I think some girl cats can have pretty faces and you can tell. Boys can have a very stern pointy face and I can usually tell if it’s a boy or girl by looking at their face.

WildCherryBlossom · 13/10/2020 11:05

@Oldraver both very pretty. Is the boy the short haired one on the right? I wonder if I'm saying that because the one on the left looks a bit like my pretty girl cat...?

WildCherryBlossom · 13/10/2020 11:09

This cat (not mine - a picture taken by quite a famous cat photographer Robert Sijka) looks pure Boy Cat to me

WildRosie · 13/10/2020 11:10

Looks like either can be either! Was the IAMS cat (Burmese or Siamese off the TV advert) handsome ?

OP posts:
Beamur · 13/10/2020 11:14

Boy or girl?

WildRosie · 13/10/2020 11:14

@WildCherryBlossom

This cat (not mine - a picture taken by quite a famous cat photographer Robert Sijka) looks pure Boy Cat to me

He (if it is a 'he') has quite a long face. In fact, he looks positively evil with those bright yellow eyes.
OP posts:
WildCherryBlossom · 13/10/2020 11:17

The IAMS cat looks male to me. Quite muscly shoulders (just watched the ad again)

WildCherryBlossom · 13/10/2020 11:17

@Beamur elegant boy?

IamTomHanks · 13/10/2020 11:18

I have one boy cat who is definitely pretty, but another boy who is definitely handsome. Two of my girls are pretty, but the 3rd's is...well it's a face that only her mother could love.

Beamur · 13/10/2020 11:19

@WildCherryBlossom
Yes. Sadly no longer with us either.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

WildCherryBlossom · 13/10/2020 11:27

Sorry Beamur Sad lovely looking cat.

Oldraver · 13/10/2020 11:31

@WildCherryBlossom The boy is the fluffy one on the left, Girl is shorter haired one on the right

We always said boy was a pretty one

MostDisputesDieAndNoOneShoots · 13/10/2020 11:32

My two tom cats have HUGE heads. They’re handsome little guys for sure, but in contrast to the female cats I’ve had, these two have proper big bonces. Is that a male thing or are they just big-headed cats? They’re brothers so maybe they just come from large-headed stock.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.