Talk

Advanced search

Why is the 21 year old woman posing as a boy not trans?

(299 Posts)
2Rebecca Fri 10-Jan-20 11:05:54

The BBC news site has a story about a 21 year old woman "disguising herself" as a boy to have relationships with underage girls that involved sexual assaults. It sounds predatory and dysfunctional but I'm interested in the BBC's language here. Why isn't this woman a transman and therefore special and her biological sex irrelevant and the teenage girls complaining terrible transphobes?

thatdamnwoman Fri 10-Jan-20 11:10:09

Hell, when was 21 middle-aged? I must be prehistoric...

2Rebecca Fri 10-Jan-20 11:16:00

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50985868

2Rebecca Fri 10-Jan-20 11:17:23

Not sure why I put middle aged in the headline. That was a mistake, I meant to type adult

ArthurMorgan Fri 10-Jan-20 11:17:25

Sorry but I can't get past 21 being middle aged...

ArthurMorgan Fri 10-Jan-20 11:17:57

Cross posted 😂

Fieldofgreycorn Fri 10-Jan-20 11:18:57

Poor girls.

Some people pretend to be the opposite sex to do bad things. Doesn’t make them transgender.

StealthPolarBear Fri 10-Jan-20 11:21:12

We know that. But the official line is if you say you're the opposite sex you are, no questions asked.
I suspect that's upheld more readily when the person asserting their sex has a penis rather than when they don't.

calllaaalllaaammma Fri 10-Jan-20 11:22:12

Well that is a pretty disgusting crime if she was preying on underage girls, a very dysfunctional person.
I do see your point, though perhaps it was the way she described herself- or she didn't use the right 'woke' buzzwords in her police interview...but come to think of it I've NEVER seen an instance where a transman has been recorded as a male criminal, ALWAYS the other way around. Are there any examples?

AwdBovril Fri 10-Jan-20 11:22:51

Some people pretend to be the opposite sex to do bad things. Doesn’t make them transgender.

Some people have been suggesting that for years...

Italiangreyhound Fri 10-Jan-20 11:23:56

Just read the story, it's appalling . Those poor girls.

ScrimshawTheSecond Fri 10-Jan-20 11:27:58

As soon as someone does something beyond the pale, they are no longer counted as True Trans. Unfortunately you can only tell the difference after the event.

This should be in the 'it never happens' thread, perhaps?

ItWentInMyEye Fri 10-Jan-20 11:28:27

She's not described as a paedophile either?

DishingOutDone Fri 10-Jan-20 11:32:23

OP can you ask MNHQ to edit your title so as not to detract from the actual discussion, its going to confuse people!

missyB1 Fri 10-Jan-20 11:39:06

She has sexually assaulted up to 50 kids so she's a paedophile surely? Doesn't it count as paedoplhilia if you dress as the opposite sex????

And i doubt she's actually trans anything, she only dressed up to suit her purpose of assaulting kids.

nauticant Fri 10-Jan-20 11:41:42

Will the crimes be recorded as having been carried out by a man or by a woman?

NonnyMouse1337 Fri 10-Jan-20 11:41:55

Ugh what an awful woman. Those poor children.

And yes, should go in the 'this never happens' thread.

Some people pretend to be the opposite sex to do bad things.

Indeed. Hence the growing concerns of many women that self-id and lax safeguarding along with no meaningful way to regulate access to various single sex spaces will make things easier for the wrong sort of people.
Predators will take advantage of any loophole to further their criminal intentions.

Sexequality Fri 10-Jan-20 11:43:06

Field so you admit people pretend to be the opposite sex in order to access women and girls in order to sexually assault them?

Fieldofgreycorn Fri 10-Jan-20 11:45:04

But the official line is if you say you're the opposite sex you are, no questions asked.

I’m not sure this woman is saying she is the opposite sex though. She just pretended to be to lure girls. Also the victims were underage so of course there were ‘questions asked’.

Man Friday were a group of women who pretended to be the opposite sex. They weren’t transgender either. So it does happen.

NotBadConsidering Fri 10-Jan-20 11:48:11

So we are clear, predators are willing to pretend to be the opposite sex to carry out crimes if the opportunity presents itself.

Finally! Glad to have that sorted, it’s only the crux of the whole debate. Thanks Fieldofgreycorn

HappyPunky Fri 10-Jan-20 11:48:24

@fieldofgreycorn man Friday identified as men on Fridays so they were gender fluid if anything.

The headline should say that a man has pretended to be a boy to abuse children going by recent news reports

Fieldofgreycorn Fri 10-Jan-20 11:48:45

Sexequality I’m not sure admit is the right word as I’m not denying it. I agree with you that yes, some people pretend to be the opposite sex to access women and girls. It’s a very small number that do that but yes it has happened.

Golfcart Fri 10-Jan-20 11:50:21

The point OP is trying to make is that if the woman had said "I am this boy" not "I'm a woman dressing up as him" she would have been treated differently by police and society.

But the harms to the girls would be the same.

If she was a trans man, though, there is still the issue of grooming and underage abuse, not relevant to her sex or gender. That's what actually harmed the girls.

So self ID is open to abuse - but this might not be the best demonstration of why it is.

CuriousaboutSamphire Fri 10-Jan-20 11:50:22

Oh the Tangled Web...

CuriousaboutSamphire Fri 10-Jan-20 11:55:00

but this might not be the best demonstration of why it is. But is a perfect example of the behaviour and the different ways it is reported. All badly mangled, to incoherent and with no consistency.

Why? Because it is all a poorly contrived bag of shite!

She is a female peadophile who dresses as a man to receive.

Just as other male peadophiles dress as women... but for some reason are allowed a get out if (or into) jail card if they cry 'transwoman'

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »