Talk

Advanced search

Etsy -violence against women.

(125 Posts)
shins Sat 11-Feb-17 13:06:51

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/502801323/handmade-terf-stomper-patch?ref=hp_rv

Reported this to Etsy a few weeks ago, it was on the Radfem Collective's webpage. It's still there. How can Etsy keep a product that advocates "stomping" on women? Can you imagine if instead of "terf" it had some racial epithet or "trans"? It's not the only one either, there was a "Death to Terfs" t-shirt selling a while back. When are people going to see this for what it is -misogyny and violent patriarchy under a different name?

mirrorisnotmyfriend Sat 11-Feb-17 13:12:00

Because there is one rule for trans people who are allowed to say whatever they want unfortunately, but another for women who may not even point out that women have vaginas any more without being deleted.

I was deleted and banned from Dismantle Misogyny on FB last week for saying the above. Comments calling me a disgusting TERF and others slagging of the personal appearance of another woman who who had commented were left to stand.

On Everyday Feminism last week someone posted that rape victims 'annoy her' as they use their victim status to further their TERF views and stop trans people entering their spaces because it supposedly 'triggers them'. Again, left to stand.

Another feminist on one of my online groups reported a comment to FB from a trans person about her 'white cis pussy getting raped and fucked' - she received a reply saying they would not delete the statement but suggesting that she hide the person instead if their views upset her.

I could go on. The upshot is if you are a man who says he is a woman or a feminist who supports transwomen you can be as rude as you like and make as many violent threats as you like and you'll get away with it. Dare to point out the basic facts of biology though, and you're a hateful bigot who will be deleted.

I don't know what we can do about it.

pickledparsnip Sat 11-Feb-17 13:20:37

I am so incredibly fed up with this "terf" bullshit.

pickledparsnip Sat 11-Feb-17 13:23:20

I don't know what we can do either mirror. I follow a lot of feminist groups on social media, and pretty sure I'm going to have to stop soon. I can't stand it anymore. I feel desperately sad to be honest. Sad and fucking angry.

ihatethecold Sat 11-Feb-17 13:28:00

What does terf mean?

shins Sat 11-Feb-17 13:36:50

Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist. Women who don't believe being a woman is a feeling on your head and who challenge transactivist ideology and demands.

pickledparsnip Sat 11-Feb-17 13:47:18

You know what really fucking pisses me off? We can't talk about women's issues anymore without making sure we mention trans women.
A feminist Instagram account I follow recently posted that photo of some celeb who had a bit of blood on her bikini bottoms (sorry no idea who it was). People were angry and calling her a terf because when she said that people should get over it as she was a woman and it was natural, she didn't mention transwomen. What the actual fuck?

ErrolTheDragon Sat 11-Feb-17 13:48:22

Thats what TERF means, but its used as a slur against people who till recently would have seen themselves as pretty middle-of-the road feminists. You know - people who want women's rights, equality, fight gender stereotypes, all that sort of normal genuine 'everyday feminism'.

Mirror - that you should encounter that on a group called 'dismantle misogyny' shows how totally messed up some people seem to be.

ErrolTheDragon Sat 11-Feb-17 13:52:57

Pickled confused how could anyone in that story 'mention transwomen' in any way which wouldn't just highlight that they're not women when it comes to standard bodily functions?

venusinscorpio Sat 11-Feb-17 13:55:11

"Feminism" has been completely taken over by men, loons, stupid teenagers and brain dead handmaidens, frankly.

Thank god for TERFs.

venusinscorpio Sat 11-Feb-17 13:57:45

They really do want us to STFU about anything which pertains to our lives as biological women. Our existence is what offends them.

shins Sat 11-Feb-17 14:01:51

I was monstered on FB when I was arguing that intersectional feminism isn't new (the bits about studying race and class) and that Kimberle Crenshaw's work on black women had nothing to do with trans people. I studied her work in college a quarter of a century ago and it's been misinterpreted and distorted. I was told by young women that I just didn't understand. It sounds like you're saying transwomen aren't women, one of them said. Well they aren't, not biologically I replied.

Well it was as if I'd admitted my KKK membership or said how wonderful Trump was or something, the reaction. It would've been funny if it wasn't so depressing. Americans are much further down this crazy world than we are.

pickledparsnip Sat 11-Feb-17 14:02:01

Fuck knows Errol

VestalVirgin Sat 11-Feb-17 14:17:09

Thats what TERF means, but its used as a slur against people who till recently would have seen themselves as pretty middle-of-the road feminists.

Or not feminists at all. TERF is a slur used against anyone who disagrees with the twanzwacktivists, even if said person has never claimed to be any sort of feminist and is just an ordinary person who didn't sleep through biology lessons at school.

Antifeminists have always had a habit of calling any feminism "radical", starting with the women's suffrage movement, which was called "monstrous", and used "feminist" as a slur to keep women who did not identify as feminists, but were a bit too sure of their own humanity in line.

This TERF thing just drives it up to eleven.

venusinscorpio Sat 11-Feb-17 14:17:57

I think it will polarise further in the US as people see this black and white good/evil dichotomy with Trump etc. Whereas I personally don't think the TAs attitude to women is much different to the right's. Dismissive, wanting women to STFU and fade into the background. Ignorant of women's biological needs and personal boundaries.

shins Sat 11-Feb-17 14:22:48

Yes it's depressing. And then you get weird alliances like radical feminists and conservative Christian groups countering the bathroom bill. Although I suppose it's no weirder than Linda "Sharia law is great" Sarsour co-organising the Washington women's march.

pickledparsnip Sat 11-Feb-17 14:47:19

I am very worried that feminism as it was is in danger of dying out. Well let's face it, it's already happening. What the hell do we do?

venusinscorpio Sat 11-Feb-17 14:53:52

I think we need to link feminism more with female biology. That happened during the women's march, hence many TAs throwing their toys out of their prams. I know there will be resistance but we have every right to talk about it, and the less crazy TAs do realise that.

HelenDenver Sat 11-Feb-17 14:57:39

"Or not feminists at all. TERF is a slur used against anyone who disagrees with the twanzwacktivists, even if said person has never claimed to be any sort of feminist and is just an ordinary person who didn't sleep through biology lessons at school. "

Yup.

Surely any trans person mentioned in a story about an awkward period moment would be a trans man (FTM), not a trans woman?

venusinscorpio Sat 11-Feb-17 14:59:41

Now I think in that case you would be both excluding transwomen and triggering transmen.

HelenDenver Sat 11-Feb-17 15:03:53

Arse.

Can I say arse? We all have arses...

ErrolTheDragon Sat 11-Feb-17 15:11:42

Back to that etsy page for a moment - note that the product was a customised patch. I wondered who could be giving that vile thing 5* reviews - turns out that 3 are for 'destroy power not people' and one for 'property is theft'. So why the hell showcase the violence against women one?confusedhmm

shins Sat 11-Feb-17 15:16:56

I contacted the shop owner who said it was ironic I was complaining because terfs are full of transphobic hate. I said it wasn't ironic at all as I have never seen feminists inciting violence against trans people. Why couldn't they campaign and sloganeer without resorting to the ancient patriarchal solution to difficult women -hitting them? He/she replied that they wouldn't engage anymore because I was clearly a hateful transphobe myself.

Depressingly, this moron probably has a degree from some university sad

venusinscorpio Sat 11-Feb-17 15:19:09

How utterly surprising. What a fucking unthinking idiot who can't hold an argument.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Sat 11-Feb-17 15:32:25

Feminism is a movement by, for and about women. MTTs are therefore excluded, though FTTs are welcome, because they're women.

I can't believe this Etsy person reacted like that. Perhaps we ought to all message them, Shins?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now