Talk

Advanced search

Shutdowns, military pullouts, and resignations: it’s Christmas and Trump thread 89

(998 Posts)
TheClaws Sun 23-Dec-18 07:09:29

It’s chaos in Trump’s world, more so than usual, with #TrumpResign trending in Twitter after a number of key debacles: the pull-out of US troops from Syria, the resignation of General Jim Mattis, and the shutdown of the government over Christmas due to bipartisan disagreement over wall funding. (Those are just 3 issues.) The next few weeks will be rocky.

Previous thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3442038-But-When-the-president-does-it-that-means-it-is-not-illegal-Trump-thread-LXXXVIII

MerdedeBrexit Sun 23-Dec-18 07:25:00

Thank you for the new thread, TheClaws. Glad there has not been a shutdown here.
Being slow, I have only just noticed Brett McGurk's resignation as US special presidential envoy to the Global Coalition to Defeat IS, which happened on Thursday as a result of Trump's decision to bring US troops out of Syria. I feel Trump has hit the nail on the head, as usual:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Brett McGurk, who I do not know, was appointed by President Obama in 2015. Was supposed to leave in February but he just resigned prior to leaving. Grandstander? The Fake News is making such a big deal about this nothing event!
5:48 AM - Dec 23, 2018

TheClaws Sun 23-Dec-18 08:14:03

Sorry, I meant to put my previous post on this thread, so I’ll just paste it over ... (and thank you, Merdede)

And BTW - I’d like to wish everyone, contributors, lurkers or occasional readers - a wonderful Christmas and holiday season. May your futures be blessed and bright fsmile

Roussette Sun 23-Dec-18 08:20:46

Thank you Claws for new thread.

Here is Stephen Colbert's Christmas cartoon 'A Very Special Counsel Christmas'. Hilarious!

www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/12/21/colberts-christmas-cartoon-mueller-appears-after-trump-fires-santa-late-night-parody/?utm_term=.11c95b48cad0

Happy Christmas to you all. smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 23-Dec-18 08:36:00

Happy Christmas Claws and everyone else smile

TheNorthWestPawsage Sun 23-Dec-18 08:50:17

Merry Christmas lovely people!
Thanks Claws for the new thread - will it make it through to 2019?? (Shouldn't you be Claus this week? wink)

And to go with Merde's beautiful Christmas canine at the end of the last thread here are a few seasonal cats...
www.boredpanda.com/cats-crashing-nativity-scenes/

borntobequiet Sun 23-Dec-18 08:54:57

Many thanks to all originators of and contributors to these wonderful threads and have a lovely Christmas break, if you are indeed having a break. Either way, Happy Holidays!

cozietoesie Sun 23-Dec-18 09:04:27

Thanks, Claws.

PerkingFaintly Sun 23-Dec-18 09:29:03

Merry Christmas, lovely people. Here's wishing us all and the American people a Happy New Year.grin

And thank you for our Xmas present of a shiny new thread, TheClaws.

Lweji Sun 23-Dec-18 09:43:16

Brett McGurk, who I do not know
Declaration of incompetence.

Merry Christmas!!!
And no shut downs on MN.

Lweji Sun 23-Dec-18 09:53:50

Not so friendly now...

'Fox & Friends' host blasts Trump for pulling troops out of Syria: 'He said, 'President Obama is the founder of ISIS.' He just refounded ISIS.'

www.businessinsider.com/fox-and-friends-host-blasts-trump-over-syria-pullout-he-just-refounded-isis-2018-12

Never thought they'd agree with me. shock

lionheart Sun 23-Dec-18 10:31:11

Thanks Claws for an excellent festive 89.

Yes, I find the shut-down a peculiar mechanism generally ....

Happy Christmas to everyone. smile

Minimammoth Sun 23-Dec-18 10:39:20

Thank you The Claws, and Happy Christmas to all threadies.
Or Happy Holiday as Trump businesses prefer( apparently) - Guardian article. Will try and do link thingy- not good at it. Obviously he doesn’t want to offend his Saudi customers.

lionheart Sun 23-Dec-18 10:48:05

.... and good cheer.

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/23/robert-mueller-year-of-successes-2018-donald-trump

Gumpendorf Sun 23-Dec-18 11:11:18

Thanks Claws.

A very Happy Christmas to everyone 🎄⭐️🎄fsmilefgrin⭐️.

cozietoesie Sun 23-Dec-18 11:19:05

grin

Roussette Sun 23-Dec-18 11:23:23

www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/12/22/1821083/-NYT-Trump-feels-totally-and-completely-abandoned-even-by-Kushner

Good.

lionheart Sun 23-Dec-18 13:20:14

Gosh. This is quite the warm up to that piece:

'Maggie Haberman and Peter Baker have a new piece in The New York Times today that portrays our pr*sident as a puddle of fondue getting ready to evaporate into God’s blessed ether.

It will unsettle you to your bones (if you’re not already way past that point) and clearly shows that Trump is essentially one giant urine collection away from being Howard Hughes.

He rants at his advisers, calling them “fucking idiots.” He’s obsessed with the media’s criticism of him, wondering, “Why is it like this?” (Uh, because you’re president, and a horrible one at that.)

Oh, but he still loves parts of the job — namely the parts that allow him to inconvenience other Americans who are trying to get to work: “’The roads closed for me!’ he declared to friends earlier this year after a motorcade ride.”

Yeah, that’s what the president’s 6-year-old child is supposed to say — not the president himself.

Overall, you get the impression that if he were the guy changing the oil in the cruller fryer at Dunkin’ Donuts rather than the president of the United States, he would have been quietly removed months ago.'

lionheart Sun 23-Dec-18 13:23:04

Do the Trump-Kushners think they can save themselves by staging a withdrawal?

lionheart Sun 23-Dec-18 13:42:18

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
14h hours ago

'I will not be going to Florida because of the Shutdown - Staying in the White House!'

12 hours ago

'Brett McGurk, who I do not know, was appointed by President Obama in 2015. Was supposed to leave in February but he just resigned prior to leaving. Grandstander? The Fake News is making such a big deal about this nothing event!'

12 hours ago

'If anybody but your favorite President, Donald J. Trump, announced that, after decimating ISIS in Syria, we were going to bring our troops back home (happy & healthy), that person would be the most popular hero in America. With me, hit hard instead by the Fake News Media. Crazy!'

11 hours ago

'When President Obama ingloriously fired Jim Mattis, I gave him a second chance. Some thought I shouldn’t, I thought I should. Interesting relationship-but I also gave all of the resources that he never really had. Allies are very important-but not when they take advantage of U.S.'

AcrossthePond55 Sun 23-Dec-18 13:57:19

He's really losing it, isn't he? Perhaps we're getting closer to an Article 25? Pence would probably do it in a heartbeat, but I doubt that the Cabinet Scrotus' butt buddies will back him. If you look at the people Scrotus' has appointed, each and every one of them is gobbling at the trough. They aren't going to want to give that up.

cozietoesie Sun 23-Dec-18 13:59:28

He is, I fear.

worridmum Sun 23-Dec-18 14:00:00

Why can the USA government be held to ransom like this all the public / federal workers basically either having to go on unpaid leave or work for free is bloody stupid that shit would not stand anywhere in Europe or other "western" nations.

cozietoesie Sun 23-Dec-18 14:03:52

It's the way they do things........

AcrossthePond55 Sun 23-Dec-18 14:21:22

worrid, it's because our Founding Fathers could never conceive of someone like Scrotus being POTUS. They believed that anyone elected to the highest office in the land would be a reasonable and honourable person who had the best interests of the country at heart.

It's not that furloughs haven't happened before, they have. But TPTB would work like mad to come to a compromise and get the Govt up and running. It's that now we're faced with a POTUS who is not at all interested in compromise AND who couldn't give two shits if we all starved. He's alright, Jack, he's got his.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »