Talk

Advanced search

Simon Mayo Drivetime - Latest

(124 Posts)
mrsgnarley Thu 07-Jun-18 15:57:16

Like many people, I've signed the petitions and complained to the BBC about the changes to the Simon Mayo Drivetime programme...or rather the complete decimation of it.

In the end, I wrote to Whistledown...the people who make the Radio 4 Feedback programme. They are the only ones to respond and they has said that the recent changes will be covered in their programme on Friday 15th. They want me to read out some of my complaint which of course I'm more than happy to do grin.

So if you've given Jo Whiley and Simon Mayo Show time to 'settle in' (the BBC's words not mine) and still want the Drivetime show and team back, now may be the time to write to the Radio 4 Feedback programme. The links are:
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006slnx/contact
or
Feedback@bbc.co.uk

Please spread the word and see if we can get the Drivetime team back where they belong smile

Cath125 Mon 11-Jun-18 21:00:38

Totally agree with all above - have sent email to feedback via your link thanks x

whatwouldnigellado Tue 12-Jun-18 21:01:01

Have done so as well. I miss Matt and have stopped listening to the new show!

MrsMozart Tue 12-Jun-18 21:03:59

Excellent! Thank you. I'll wtite in.

We need all back to as they were. I've tried the new show numerous times. I have no issue with change per se and am willing to give most things a good chance. Done so this time and the verdict remains the same. It's not working.

Cath125 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:42:42

After emailing Feedback I’ve had a reply today asking if they can use my email in the programme on Friday! Yay - let’s hope R2 planners listen to the listeners!

dontlikebeards Tue 12-Jun-18 22:14:13

Thanks for this. I will send my comments now. I have tried to get used to the new format but it's awful. I really miss the old show.

AnneEyhtMeyer Tue 12-Jun-18 22:20:32

Thank you - I've sent them my thoughts!

CiderwithBuda Wed 13-Jun-18 09:07:32

Thanks for this. I’ve sent my thoughts too.

MrsMozart Wed 13-Jun-18 09:39:49

I've done the thing.

Just hope it helps as tired of channel hopping.

twilightcafe Wed 13-Jun-18 10:00:46

Message sent!

Blobby10 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:10:19

The complaints are obviously doing some good as the confession is back in its old slot! I listened a couple of times last week and it seemed better - Jo didn't talk as much and there seemed to be more music and interaction rather than mind numbing interviews with music people!

Need the homework slot back in place and it will be well on the way!

Did I hear correctly that Matt had left cos he went back into teaching?

UterusUterusGhali Wed 13-Jun-18 10:13:27

I want Jo's show back too. sad

They've replaced it with repeats of wanky documentaries. I do like some of their documentaries, but this is just cheap and not what I want to hear at this time.
Lots of nurses are coming home at that time and it was like NHS drivetime. grin

wowfudge Wed 13-Jun-18 10:16:22

I've emailed Feedback today and Bob Shennan a while ago - he hasn't replied. I've also signed the petition.

Every time I think it's sounding better it turns out to be a fleeting moment and then we're back to hours of awkwardness and it's really cringe-making.

I trying to decide which one of them management is trying to force out.

MrsMozart Wed 13-Jun-18 10:46:49

Ulterus Good point. I listened to JW's show when I was working away. Enjoyed it. Suited the time slot perfectly.

They need Sarah Cox on in the afternoon, Drivetime back to as was, Jo's show back to as was.

wowfudge Wed 13-Jun-18 11:04:13

Agree @MrsMozart. I like Sara covering the Breakfast show when Chris is off.

pendeen123 Wed 13-Jun-18 17:45:28

I like Simon Mayo and I like JW but together it just doesn't work feels awkward also agree that Coxy should be on in the morning replacing Evans (or maybe Bruce).

wowfudge Thu 14-Jun-18 07:27:08

To be clear - I like Chris's breakfast show, Sara is by far the best stand in they've had.

Chris has just defended the new Drivetime, after having listened to some of yesterday's show and has set out that the dislike for it is just because people need to get used to it confused.

AlbertaSimmons Thu 14-Jun-18 07:32:41

It's awful now, but I suspect what will happen is that it will become the JW show. I think they made the change in the first place to give her a bigger show. Simon Mayo is on his way out I reckon. I've stopped listening because they were talking over each other all the time and they don't gel at all. They behave like strangers who've just been introduced at a corporate event.

YouStacey Thu 14-Jun-18 07:39:45

A slightly different perspective here - I used to listen to the Mon to Thu shows because of my then commute but found the Friday show unlistenable. I gave it a go last Friday and had to switch off because they have kept all the irritating element. I cannot bear that Na na na song and don't give a fuck that 4 year old Milly from Bicester sings along to it; nor do I want to hear from Dave in Chorley that he is rocking out to the music on his way to his mate's 40th in Brighton.
Why didn't They change all that?
And all last Friday I also dared to listen to the last few mins of SW's show - he must have said "serious jocking" at least 4 times - what a fucking relic.
Anyway, rant over

Shutityoutart Thu 14-Jun-18 07:40:39

I stopped listening as they sound like a local radio show now.

YouStacey Thu 14-Jun-18 07:40:41

Also last Friday

AlbertaSimmons Thu 14-Jun-18 07:46:48

It's Steve Wright's show that needs a new presenter shake up IMO. Had to turn it off yesterday while on a long drive cos it was so bad.

MyOtherProfile Thu 14-Jun-18 07:48:45

I've sent feedback too but haven't seen a petition. Is there a link?

wowfudge Thu 14-Jun-18 07:50:27

There's a change.org petition - sorry can't find a link for you just now.

JobbyBum Thu 14-Jun-18 07:53:55

They should give him his 5 live afternoon show back and get rid of Nihal Arthanayake. 😬

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: