My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Dr Shehata advice

1000 replies

Wolfemum · 10/02/2023 08:58

Hello, I am currently experiencing my 3rd consecutive miscarriage and my 2nd MMC. I have been told I will now be referred to the RMC unit but due to my age (42) i think I need to go privately and I was wondering what your opinions are on Dr Shehata? I've heard he has a brilliant reputation but is quite focused on NK cells and less on other things. Can anyone share their thoughts, opinions experiences?
My first pregnancy was healthy and resulted in my 6 year old boy but the last 2 MMC we saw a heartbeat at 6 weeks but then no growth or heartbeat at 7/8 weeks.
Many thanks for reading

OP posts:
MeganBistram · 23/10/2023 12:15

@Lara8 i would wait 3 days for both, Progesterone can impact implantation if taken too early and I think the same with Pred. All the best of luck :) xx

Lara8 · 23/10/2023 12:20

@MeganBistram thanks for this. I did the easy at home ovulation sticks and I’m cycle day 12 today, and I think that means I’ll ovulate in 24 hours so that would bring me to cycle day 13. I’ve read early ovulation can be age related mean perimenopause so of course I’ve freaked myself out.

MeganBistram · 23/10/2023 13:28

It’s great you have it earlier @Lara8 less time to wait. ;) I didn’t take pred or progesterone until 3 DPO on the cycle I got pregnant on purpose :)

Lara8 · 23/10/2023 13:48

@MeganBistram was that because of what you said about it impacting implantation? It’s so hard knowing what way to play it!

MeganBistram · 23/10/2023 14:19

@Lara8 yes, I had read quite a few things on it, so thought would give it a go :)

thehurtingheart · 23/10/2023 15:15

@Lara8 I wasn't sure if I had actually had my peak or not on day 12 in my last cycle as it was a lower peak than usual and early for me so I waited and I'm glad I did as I got my true peak on day 18!! I was temping too though so that was what convinced me to wait longer as I didn't want the progesterone upsetting my ovulation!

So lovely to see everyone getting their 12 week and 16 week scans! So much hope to hold onto.

I'm 7 weeks now and have had a 6 week and 7 week scan which showed heartbeat and the right amount of growth -- this is the first time in 5 pregnancies we've ever had good news. I am hoping so much we continue to get good news but also still living in the every day fear that is pregnancy after loss. It has been a nerve wracking ride as I've been spotting the last two weeks and every time it's terrifying but they can't see any reason for it on the scan so must just be down to cervix / medications.

@Carlotta27 we had our first appointment at end of June, got results mid July, consult was a little later than usual due to us then Shehata being on a holiday but were able to start trying again in Aug and got pregnant in our second cycle trying so it was a pretty quick process for us after our initial appointment. Albeit it's been a long process getting to that point but here we are!

Carlotta27 · 23/10/2023 16:07

@thehurtingheart thank you for sharing your timelines and good news!

Pregnancy after loss is such an anxious time, but it’s so reassuring to see you and others on here hitting those milestones. It seems like these are really effective treatments and confident I’ll see more good news updates on this thread soon. xxx

LauraLaura86 · 26/10/2023 09:39

Has anyone been on Humira here? What were your experiences, side effects etc? Thanks x

jchars7 · 26/10/2023 12:58

@LauraLaura86 yes I was, first jab just a bit of a dry throat but could have been in my head. Second jab, nothing but then about 3 - 4 weeks later I got covid and the symptoms lasted ages. But otherwise all good.

whatsgoingon22 · 26/10/2023 13:10

Hey @LauraLaura86 yes I took two rounds and no side effects. My friend (46) is on it for arthritis and will be on it for the rest of her life and she is fine too so don’t worry. The scary side effects made me procrastinate for over 6 months and my prescription ran out! Paid £150 for a new one😩.

hi @Hope646 and @JandL2020 amazing milestones ladies, congrats, how are you feeling? thanks for your messages!! I’m doing okay! Still so cautious and nervous😩can’t relax at all and hasn’t sunk in. Think I’m feeling some bubbling in my tummy the last few days and still a bit tired. I don’t think I will have the 20 wk intralipid next week. I have my 20 week anomaly scan next week with the NHS ❤️🙏🏻 and the NHS actually also called me in for a cervical length scan two weeks ago which was fine. Does this technically mean I’m finished with CRP? @MeganBistram Hope you’re good 🥰 , do you know if CRP discharge or do I just leave it 😂?

@Privatemedical246 how are you doing? Hope you’re keeping well!

Hope everyone else is doing well or as well as can be too xxx

JandL2020 · 26/10/2023 15:16

@LauraLaura86 no issues. At the time I had stomach problems so I thought it was related but it was a stomach ulcer in the end which had just worsened. Haven’t been unwell like colds etc.
@whatsgoingon22 hey Hun. Thank you 😊 hope all goes well next week. I’m just taking every day as it comes. Not really relaxing or getting excited either. That’s interesting about the cervical length…so nhs did that at 18 weeks? I have an nhs midwife app at 18 weeks. Got 14 week scan next week. I think after 20 weeks you don’t need anymore treatment with crp. They’ve said I need growth scans but I’m hoping nhs will do these.
Xx

Longdarkevenings · 28/10/2023 19:57

Hi ladies, I hope you don't mind me posting. I will be starting complex plan in 2-3 weeks and I was also considering whether we should also go for super ovulation straight away. I will be on intralipids anyway and I understand the only additional cost with super ovulation would be monthly scan, letrozloe and injection. Would anyone had ideas of the additional cost? I am nearly 40 😔and getting very anxious about fertility etc. We have 2 year old DD and another miscarriage since her birth and this time took us over 6 months to conceive. Does super ovulation scan pin point when to TTC? I am starting to get very anxious that I will be spending around £500 on meds and intralipids without super ovulation and if we time it wrong that will be wasted month (I don't think we can cope with every day sex). Any insights and advice would be greatly appreciated 🙏

Rose1411 · 29/10/2023 12:59

Hi everyone. Hope you don't mind me joining this thread! Im feeling pretty hopeless right now, ive just had my 5th miscarriage in 10 month and looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. I have a son who is 2 1/2.

1st - chemical pregnancy 5 weeks
2nd - subchorionic hematoma identified at 6 weeks, got to 12 then unfortunately no heartbeat
3rd - chemical at 4 weeks
4th - chemical at 5 weeks
5th - chemical at 4 weeks

I was referred to proff quenby at coventry after my 3rd. Blood tests taken and all clear bar thyroid antibodies. Proff quenby didnt seem worried about these... the nurse told me they are the highest she's ever seen at 1300 (should be <90)... they keep telling me to keep going/trying and come back when im pregnant for a scan &thyroid bloods at 7 weeks. But something just doesnt feel right and doesnt feel like im going to make it to 7 weeks anytime soon. I seem to get pregnant every time i try and I have progesterone to take as soon as i know im pregnant but that's it!

I have made a referral to a private endocrinologist to see if i can somehow bring the antibodies down (problem is my TSH levels are normal so not sure they will treat me?) Ive read some studies where these are considered a potential cause.

I am now looking at going private as i don't feel Tommy's are willing to do anything further for me. I have a couple of questions below:

Does dr shehata treat high thyroid antibodies? If so do you know what with?

Has anyone ever had a biopsy of their lining? What did you have tested & where did you get the biopsy done? I have a hunch i could have endometritis having had a c section with my first child and looking into to options to get diagnosed & treated.

Sorry for the long post. Im so lost at the moment and feel my mental health has taken a battering this time round, more so from not feeling supported :(

Thanks in advance for any responses xxx

CazTTC · 29/10/2023 14:24

Hi everyone, so grateful for all the information & positive news shared on this thread! After 5 MCs over last 2 years I’ve just finished my 3rd cycle of complex plan with Dr Shehata (intralipid then 20mg pred after ovulation) but unfortunately, no luck! Usually takes me 3-5 cycles to fall pregnant, so not totally surprised.. I’ve to book a review appointment, but wondering what will be recommended next? Adding Hydroxy? Super ovulation? Has anyone been in similar situation?

Carlotta27 · 31/10/2023 17:07

Hello! I think i'm going to go ahead and book an appt (given the positive stories on here). I'm juggling timing to fit around an upcoming IVF cycle so I was wondering whether the tests (and I plan to have the full suite incl. NK cells) have to be done on certain days of your cycle / you need to take a cycle out of TTC to take them? Many thanks x

JandL2020 · 31/10/2023 17:23

@Carlotta27 most of them don’t. Only the ovulating ones and he asks your gp to do that. I didn’t bother to get mine tested as I was doing ivf.
I saved about £700 by getting a lot of tests done by GP like vit d for example.
Otherwise in total it’s very expensive

JandL2020 · 31/10/2023 17:24

@Rose1411
yes they do treat high thyroid antibodies
crp don’t do biopsy of lining they just do comprehensive bloods for nk cells etc

Carlotta27 · 31/10/2023 17:27

@JandL2020 Thank you for that! Good to know about getting tests done with the GP as they really do all add up, especially given i don't think i really need vitamin tests given all the vitamins i'm currently on! x

Lara8 · 01/11/2023 06:42

@CazTTC i am in the same position, cycle 3 and no luck. Usually get pregnant after trying within this window so disappointed. I’m 39 so can’t wait too long. I’ve had 4 miscarriages in past year and half. Have my review in 2 weeks. Hope it goes ok for you. I’ll let you know what’s advised for me.

whatsgoingon22 · 14/11/2023 08:08

Hi everyone, how are you all doing? Xxx Hope everyone’s journey is progressing positively ❤️❤️sending lots of love xxxx

Cocoichiban · 14/11/2023 08:12

hey all!

I’m a long time lurker on this thread - 2 miscarriages earlier this year got me referred to Dr Shehata at Epsom hospital but due to the (9 month long) waiting list have gone private to the CRP clinic. Soooo expensive but managed to get the tests at least covered by health insurance so that was a big help. Have high Cykotines of one type so on the complex plan with prednisolone etc

Currently just tested positive on 2nd cycle TTC but at 12 DPO (so had stopped the meds two days earlier). Line is super faint so I’m assuming this will end in miscarriage due to late implantation and also having stopped the meds from following CRPs instructions. Doh!

anyway, keen to hear people’s updates on where they are in their journeys and of anyone has had a late positive test and how it turned out - good or bad!

Privatemedical246 · 14/11/2023 08:31

@Cocoichiban I had similar and had stopped my meds but then restarted once I had a positive test. Currently now 11 weeks and had a few scans showing heartbeat. My lines were faint to start with as well. I'm measuring 4 days behind period due date so it sort of makes sense so thinking I ovulated later than I realised! Fingers crossed the lines get darker and this is your time. I phoned the crp and went in for an infusion as soon as I realised I had a positive test.

Lianne32 · 14/11/2023 11:17

Hi everyone

I had an embryo transfer in October had a positive result of hcg 132, brand new complex plan, had Intralipids steroids the works - today beta is 29 and I’m now miscarrying.

I just don’t even know what to do anymore.

Rose1411 · 14/11/2023 13:43

@Cocoichiban sorry I don't have any advice specifically as we are also just starting our journey in terms of diagnosis after 5 MCs. We are also finding the potential tests very costly so i wondered if you'd mind sharing and info on your insurance cover? I have private insurance through work which doesn't cover this sort of thing unfortunately :(

JandL2020 · 14/11/2023 14:25

Lianne32 · 14/11/2023 11:17

Hi everyone

I had an embryo transfer in October had a positive result of hcg 132, brand new complex plan, had Intralipids steroids the works - today beta is 29 and I’m now miscarrying.

I just don’t even know what to do anymore.

I’m so sorry 😞
do you have embryos left to try again soon?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.