Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ultra Runners Chatty Thread

RelentlessForwardProgress · 21/08/2021 18:33

If you regularly run ultra, are planning your first or are kinda secretly mulling over the idea of doing one Smile welcome to the party.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 21/08/2021 18:45

waves at
@shrodingersbiscuit
@Therehavetobeadjustments
@ReviewingTheSituation
@TheWholeWorld
@54321nought

OP's posts:
Please
or

ReviewingTheSituation · 21/08/2021 18:46

I always say 'no WAY' whenever anyone asks me if I'll do an ultra, so I feel something of a fraud here. But lurking to join in with general long distance running chat.

Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 21/08/2021 18:51

Hiya.
How far do you run Reviewing? I think technically any run over the marathon is an Ultra....so I figure if you've done a marathon and done an extra 50 feet to get to the official start line you are an Ultra runner anyway..

OP's posts:
Please
or

Keepithidden · 21/08/2021 18:51

Is an ultra run anything over a marathon? If so I'm interested but have yet to do a full marathon yet, just a couple of Half's.

Slowly but surely racking up the distances though!

Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 21/08/2021 18:52

I always feel a real second class Ultra runner because I'm slooow but I figure better to be at the back of a race than in front of the sofa

OP's posts:
Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 21/08/2021 19:05

@Keepithidden

Is an ultra run anything over a marathon? If so I'm interested but have yet to do a full marathon yet, just a couple of Half's.

Slowly but surely racking up the distances though!

I believe it is Smile
OP's posts:
Please
or

RandomUsernameHere · 21/08/2021 20:16

I will join please Smile even though I'm not doing any ultras this year, it's always great to chat about anything running related!

Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 21/08/2021 21:08

Hi Random Smile. What have you done before? Are there any you would recommend?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RandomUsernameHere · 21/08/2021 21:29

Hi Relentless I did two ultras last year and would totally recommend this one, which is around the perimeter of Jersey:
roundtherock.co.uk
Lots of beautiful but challenging cliff paths!
Have you done any that you would recommend?

Please
or

Therehavetobeadjustment · 21/08/2021 22:11

Hi there! Thanks for the invite. Love all ultra talk although only done a few, 100k was furthest. My heart would love to do 100 miles but I honestly know I'm not dedicated enough to do the training and as we know from the original thread about 10k to marathon, you really need to put in the training! 😆

Please
or

ihavespoken · 21/08/2021 22:36

Hello 👋 I am injured but would love to join the chat please ☺️

Please
or

Therehavetobeadjustment · 21/08/2021 22:46

ihavespoken

Hello there!

What injury have you picked up?

Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 21/08/2021 22:51

Oooh that Jersey race looks beautiful, random!

I've only ever done a 100 at Endure so far, which is a really lovely race, but it isn't a proper trail, lost in the dark, which way do I go now kind of ultra!

My main worry is that my map reading skills are terrible, I'm very dyslexic and can get lost finding my car in a multi story, so I'll have to work hard at that.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 21/08/2021 22:54

Hi therehavetobe, surely you don't need training, take some OJ and you'll be grand Grin

Hello to ihavespoken hope you are back out there soon. Are you able to run at all or are you having to take a break?

OP's posts:
Please
or

shrodingersbiscuit · 22/08/2021 11:20

Oh Haaaai! I’ve just moved to the Netherlands and trainings been a bit caput lately - going to have a scout around here for some races to warm me up to the flat... flat... flat... routes!

Please
or

Giraffeski · 22/08/2021 15:05

Hello! The thread I've been waiting for!Smile

Most recent ultra was Lakeland 50 mile in July, now i'm trying to work out how to apply hilly ultra training to flat marathon training and get a bit faster on the roads for London Marathon in six weeks.

Mind you, sounds like I just need a belt full of OJ, obviously where I've been going wrong all along Wink

Please
or

Clearlyunhinged · 22/08/2021 15:30

Yeah it's all about the OJ innit!

Please
or

shrodingersbiscuit · 22/08/2021 15:45

Oh yeah I when I say 'training' I just show up to a race and amble round really, couple of OJs. I've never even run a marathon on purpose they just happen, I'm sure it's the same for you guys Wink

Please
or

dammit88 · 22/08/2021 16:04

Im doing Run to the Sea in October, has anyone else signed up for this one? :)

Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 22/08/2021 17:32

shrodinger you've made me realise where I've been going wrong....clearly i'm just in a country that has too many hills....I should move to the Netherlands immediately Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 22/08/2021 17:34

Hello @Giraffeski I'm so jealous you get to do the London Marathon, its on my bucket list. One of my friends is also running it but she's found the messing around with the date quite hard to cope with and she's not that keen anymore, which is such a shame.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 22/08/2021 17:42

@dammit88 run to the sea looks like a lovely race but its a bit far for me.

The next race I'm doing is a marathon in a couple of weeks, chosen as my DS saw a picture of the medal and wanted one Confused. Its this one. Yabba Dabba Doo Race

For some reason I'm feeling really breathless at the moment, I did a marathon a couple of weeks ago and it was a case of dig in and get to the end race rather than an enjoyable race, so I'm hoping my breathing improves in the next couple of weeks so its more fun that the last one.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheBitchOfTheVicar · 22/08/2021 17:42

I'm an ultra runner. Have done two 50k races and planning one for next year. Hope to make it a 50 miler. Was planning to piggyback off VLM but now my place has been moved to Oct next year and I don't really want to do a winter one. I also live somewhere v flat so haven't done anything significant distance-wise that's hilly

Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 22/08/2021 17:45

I'm a bit anaemic and the GP told me to increase the absorption rate to take the iron tablets with.....you guessed it........Orange Juice. So its still all about the OJ. Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

RelentlessForwardProgress · 22/08/2021 17:48

Hello @TheBitchOfTheVicar.
Is the VLM the London Marathon?
Sorry to hear about your 50. The moving of races has been an all round pita.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.