My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Conflict in the Middle East

Double standards (Ukraine flag, Israel flag and Palestine flag)

106 replies

SleepDreamThinkHuge · 01/02/2024 17:37

Has anyone noticed the double standards regarding these flags. The first two are seen as solidarity and approved. But anyone with a Palestine flag is seen as a Hamas supporter and making life uncomfortable for Jews. People have been removing Palestinian flags because it makes them feel uncomfortable but if you did the same with Israel flags you would be called anti semitic.

I have seen people say anyone who have Palestinian flags should be deported because they are terrorists which is very racist.

The media seem to always show Palestinian supporters as thugs and evil people.

I have seen some things happen in the world which the media in UK rarely showed or gave a lot of airtime. Some people who claim to be Pro Palestinian and do racist things at protests are given so much air time e.g. you will hear about it forever "these are hate marches Pro Palestinians are all racists" etc..

But they rarely talk about Palestinians getting targeted:

Landlord accused of killing 6-year-old Palestinian American boy pleads not guilty to murder and hate crime charges | CNN The young boy stabbed to death 26 times by his landlord and his mother stabbed multiple times due to them being Muslim and the conflict in the Middle East.

Israel-Palestine: Palestinian student shot in US paralysed from the chest down | Middle East Eye wearing keffiyehs and speaking Arab one of them made paralyzed

It just seems like anyone who opposes the Israeli government is a racist and anyone who wants an end to the occupation in Palestine and better solution is also racist.

Landlord accused of killing 6-year-old Palestinian American boy pleads not guilty to murder and hate crime charges | CNN

The landlord accused of fatally stabbing a 6-year-old Palestinian American boy near Chicago over two weeks ago pleaded not guilty to murder and hate crime charges in an Illinois court Monday.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/30/us/palestinian-american-boy-stabbed/index.html

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

148 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
57%
You are NOT being unreasonable
43%
NuNameNuMe · 01/02/2024 17:56

YABU. I think you'd be very brave to fly an Israeli flag right now. Hate crimes are appalling. But I see much more overt support for Palestinians than Jewish people, and less discernment between Israeli people, as opposed to their hateful PM.

LlynTegid · 01/02/2024 17:58

I see much more support for Palestinians too. Though there has been a rise in Islamophobia as well as in anti-semitism since October 7th.

GreyhpundGirl · 01/02/2024 18:05

I've only seen Palestinian flags, not Israeli.

Kalevala · 01/02/2024 18:09

Is it because the UK does not recognise Palestine as a state? Could you fly an Israeli flag in Indonesia for example?

OneTC · 01/02/2024 18:16

Oh yeah literally no Palestinian supporters anywhere in the UK and definitely not en masse every Saturday in London.

SleepDreamThinkHuge · 01/02/2024 18:17

Kalevala · 01/02/2024 18:09

Is it because the UK does not recognise Palestine as a state? Could you fly an Israeli flag in Indonesia for example?

Even if they do not recognise Palestine does not mean people cannot have those flags.

OP posts:
Kalevala · 01/02/2024 18:19

SleepDreamThinkHuge · 01/02/2024 18:17

Even if they do not recognise Palestine does not mean people cannot have those flags.

Can you fly Israeli flags in countries that don't recognise Israel? Genuinely interested.

Poudretteite · 01/02/2024 18:21

What are you talking about?
Scotland is flying a Palestinian flag atm.
Palestinian flags everywhere, no Israeli.

DonnaBanana · 01/02/2024 18:21

Ukraine was attacked, Israel was attacked, both have retaliated hard but that’s why it’s okay to support them both and not the other sides.

JayAlfredPrufrock · 01/02/2024 18:22

The stories you linked happened in America.

SleepDreamThinkHuge · 01/02/2024 18:25

Ukraine was attacked, Israel was attacked, both have retaliated hard but that’s why it’s okay to support them both and not the other sides.

Palestinians have been attacked for far too long. It is occupied. Israeli settlers have made lives unbearable for Palestinians for a long time in the West Bank. Palestinians are murdered daily by the IDF and settlers and they rarely get jailed.

OP posts:
SleepDreamThinkHuge · 01/02/2024 18:27

JayAlfredPrufrock · 01/02/2024 18:22

The stories you linked happened in America.

Yes but some stories get more coverage e.g. Claudine Grey (Harvard) was covered a lot in the UK compared to these two stories.

OP posts:
RiderofRohan · 01/02/2024 18:27

Lol. Retaliated hard? So Ukrainians have killed 25000 Russians have they, most of them children? Nice way to frame genocide.

To the OP. I don't see Israeli flags anywhere. Not sure where you live but Palestinian flags are definitely more common in the UK.

roarrfeckingroar · 01/02/2024 18:28

Hamas were the aggressors. Ukraine and Israel not.

SleepDreamThinkHuge · 01/02/2024 18:33

Yes because the IDF never kill innocent women, children, men and imprison people do they? The IDF never arm the settlers do they? Those in Israeli Parliament never support ethnic cleansing and say Gaza should be destroyed or that Palestinians should be moved to Egypt or Jordan do they?

OP posts:
RiderofRohan · 01/02/2024 18:33

Hamas were the aggressors on October the 7th. If you think the world started on October the 7th then crack on with this excuse.

Israel is an occupying force that controls Gaza's air space and shoreline. It's a big nuclear bully enabled by the bigger nuclear bully, the US.

Talii · 01/02/2024 18:34

Try waving an Israel flag in a busy public city centre and let us know how that goes for you..

YouJustDoYou · 01/02/2024 18:34

Oh bore off

SleepDreamThinkHuge · 01/02/2024 18:37

Talii · 01/02/2024 18:34

Try waving an Israel flag in a busy public city centre and let us know how that goes for you..

I see them all the time

OP posts:
moofolk · 01/02/2024 18:43

You really need to gen up on some history & more recent context.

This did NOT start on October 7th

kirbykirby · 01/02/2024 18:44

There are Palestine flags all over Tower Hamlets, nobody has taken them down, they have been up for months. An Israeli flag wouldn't last a second and anyone wearing anything with an Israeli flag would likely be attacked. I haven't seen Ukraine flags anywhere. If anything the double standards are the other way around.

EdithStourton · 01/02/2024 18:53

Well timed, OP.
There was an attempted knife attack in a Jewish supermarket a day or two ago.

Thebestwaytoscareatory · 01/02/2024 18:54

moofolk · 01/02/2024 18:43

You really need to gen up on some history & more recent context.

This did NOT start on October 7th

As long as they remember that context and history regarding this matter started in 1948 right?

Talii · 01/02/2024 19:53

SleepDreamThinkHuge · 01/02/2024 18:37

I see them all the time

And I see Palestine flags all the time.

sooooo…….?

MissyB1 · 01/02/2024 20:02

There was a big whinge on our estate FB group because one family had erected a Palestinian flag on their house. They are a Muslim family, the only Muslim family on the estate. When I saw the grumbling on the FB group I immediately ordered a Palestinian flag for our house, let them all fucking whinge about me too! I’m glad the racist neighbors have shown themselves.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.