My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask what the appeal is for Taylor Swift?

298 replies

lingo1234 · 12/02/2024 08:39

Maybe it's just me, but I find her music really average and I don't think she's anything special.

The Chief's Super Bowl win seems overshadowed by her and I don't understand why. I watch a lot of sports and I don't recall a team's final win ever being mostly about one of the players' spouse/partner.

AIBU to just not understand the appeal?

OP posts:
Hoglet70 · 12/02/2024 08:41

I quite like her but at my age I don't think I'm her target demographic.

AlizeeEasy · 12/02/2024 08:43

Her music isn’t my sort of thing, but she has clearly worked hard and has talent. Unlike a lot of pop stars she writes a lot of her own music, and has managed to tap into how a lot of younger girls think and feel. And on top of all that she has never actually done anything wrong compared to how other celebrities act.

I don’t understand how she gets so much hate, she just makes music and dates other famous people, she’s fine.

Ifailed · 12/02/2024 08:45

OP, prepare to be cut to shreds by a flock of Swifties, especially as it's half term.

PS I agree.

OhhhhhhhhBiscuits · 12/02/2024 08:49

I dont get it either.

lingo1234 · 12/02/2024 08:53

I wonder if TK is bothered that the media seems to be focusing on Taylor rather than the fact that him and his team have just won the Super Bowl 🤷🏻‍♀️ it would piss me off for sure.

OP posts:
ssd · 12/02/2024 08:53

Its all too attention grabbing for me

AccidentallyWesAnderson · 12/02/2024 08:58

There was a massive thread yesterday about the same thing. Look that one up.

LyndaLaHughes · 12/02/2024 09:00

ssd · 12/02/2024 08:53

Its all too attention grabbing for me

She's not doing anything to grab this attention though? It's just on her because she's so popular. The relationship is going to be under huge scrutiny so I think they've just decided to embrace it and enjoy rather than letting it rule them.

mogtheexcellent · 12/02/2024 09:00

Ifailed · 12/02/2024 08:45

OP, prepare to be cut to shreds by a flock of Swifties, especially as it's half term.

PS I agree.

Only half term for half the country!

Op I agree. The headlines about it this morning are a bit much. Her music is mostly meh with some standout songs and 9 year old DD agrees with me.

toastofthetown · 12/02/2024 09:01

Different people can have different opinions on the sane thing. Revolutionary thought, I know.

AccidentallyWesAnderson · 12/02/2024 09:02

Taylor Swift www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/5005894-taylor-swift

Here you go. First post nails it.

LyndaLaHughes · 12/02/2024 09:02

Oh and as a mother of two obsessed Swifties- I'm delighted they follow someone who is truly a great role model. You don't see her falling around drunk, she does a lot for charity, works incredibly hard, takes care of her family and shows incredible kindness to those she meets. She doesn't objectify herself or thrust about simulating sex. It's a refreshing change and a breath of fresh air.

HermioneHerman · 12/02/2024 09:03

I'm not particularly into her music but I do get the appeal. She's funny and intelligent and has not been willing to lie down and accept appalling misogynistic treatment from the music industry just because she was/is a young, pretty woman. She's fought back and refused to let her power be taken from her.

She has strong, supportive female friendships and looks like she'd be fun to hang out with. Its the butt hurt little man babies who can't take seeing 30 seconds of her during a football game (because she isn't a quiet, docile woman and speaks her mind) that are the real problem here. She's just there supporting her boyfriend and the media have turned it into this enormous sideshow because they're making huge amounts of money from fanning the flames of outrage! Why shouldn't she live her life as she wants to, just because (yet again) a load of whiney men tell her she can't.

I'd much rather my daughter was into Taylor Swift than some vapid influencer or Kardashian or Love Island contestant (in the future, she's only 2 right now 😆).

Atomickittyxx · 12/02/2024 09:03

Two threads on Taylor swift in two days she must really be getting on people's nerves! Yea I don't get it either I'll sing along if she's on the radio 🤫 but she's mediocre really as are many that are popular now!

iceskater1 · 12/02/2024 09:03

I don't get the appeal of her music really, but it is refreshing to have someone like her (i.e. who actually seems like a reasonably decent human) as a role model for young people. I can't see any harm.

And I'm not 16, so I'm not the target audience anyway.

phoenixrosehere · 12/02/2024 09:04

lingo1234 · 12/02/2024 08:53

I wonder if TK is bothered that the media seems to be focusing on Taylor rather than the fact that him and his team have just won the Super Bowl 🤷🏻‍♀️ it would piss me off for sure.

How is that her fault though instead of the media who made the focus on her?

If she wasn’t there, that would have likely been the focus. They won, yet TS wasn’t there for her boyfriend. Is the relationship already on the rocks? Did they break up? Etc..

clarepetal · 12/02/2024 09:04

Don't like the music, but respect her loads as she writes her own music, and she has been given loads of shit unfairly.

Divebar2021 · 12/02/2024 09:06

Why is there so much complaining about her? I‘m not particularly a fan but she’s no less talented than many other performers out there. I was just talking to my fiend who watched the Super Bowl and I asked if it was overshadowed by TS and he said “not really“ - so no I disagree.

NewYearResolutions · 12/02/2024 09:07

She's a better role model than most of the pop idols out there. As someone has said, she's not simulating sex selling music at least.

TheDuck2018 · 12/02/2024 09:08

HermioneHerman · 12/02/2024 09:03

I'm not particularly into her music but I do get the appeal. She's funny and intelligent and has not been willing to lie down and accept appalling misogynistic treatment from the music industry just because she was/is a young, pretty woman. She's fought back and refused to let her power be taken from her.

She has strong, supportive female friendships and looks like she'd be fun to hang out with. Its the butt hurt little man babies who can't take seeing 30 seconds of her during a football game (because she isn't a quiet, docile woman and speaks her mind) that are the real problem here. She's just there supporting her boyfriend and the media have turned it into this enormous sideshow because they're making huge amounts of money from fanning the flames of outrage! Why shouldn't she live her life as she wants to, just because (yet again) a load of whiney men tell her she can't.

I'd much rather my daughter was into Taylor Swift than some vapid influencer or Kardashian or Love Island contestant (in the future, she's only 2 right now 😆).

This!

Divebar2021 · 12/02/2024 09:08

Apparently through her influence with bringing new fans to the NFL she has increased the value of the Chiefs by $130 million so I doubt anyone there’s complaining.

FineWordsForAPorcupine · 12/02/2024 09:09

Eeee, I know, pop stars these days aren't what they used to be. I don't understand what the young people see in them, honestly!

Not like the pop stars we used to have - when I was young, the pop stars sang proper songs, there was a proportionate response in the media to their fame, they were only exactly as famous as my assessment of their talent deemed them to deserve and things were ust generally BETTER. But now, for some reason, when I see a famous, young, beautiful, female pop star getting a lot of attention, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

oramges · 12/02/2024 09:09

Personally I don't get it, and that's not in a bitchy way but more of a I don't see the huge appeal way.

Yeah she has some catchy songs but to me she's no Beyoncé or Christina Aguilera who are like power houses!

I think Taylor comes across like a 25 year old but she's actually 33 or something like that? So it's almost like she needs to mature a little bit!

oramges · 12/02/2024 09:10

She's 34 actually!

Getthethrowonthesofa · 12/02/2024 09:14

I like some of her songs and am knocking on 50.

i think part of the attraction is her music is relatable, I mean what woman hasn’t had a relationship end that she was devastated by…ie the words to “all too well”, “did the love affair maim you too” or what tall girl doesn’t emphasise with the words in anti hero “sometimes I feel like I’m the monster on the hill and everybody is a sexy baby” . The list is endless.

plus let’s face it, they are usually very catchy. Tell a story.

I don’t beleive she is attention seeking at the Super Bowl. She simply attended , like many other famous people. It’s just she’s so huge right now. And many people will click on a link about Taylor being there who wouldn’t be remotely interested in the Super Bowl

she’s the Madonna of her day, just more relatable and not out to shock, the girl next door.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.