My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

What do you think the sentence should be for murder?

161 replies

Dumbo18 · 02/02/2024 20:50

Obviously there are many different circumstances but after today’s sentencing for the awful crime committed I couldn’t help but feel anger when I seen the sentence - I feel this with most murder sentences. I’m going to get flamed on here but here it goes… I just don’t agree with rehabilitation for these sort of crimes, main reason being why the hell should they get that opportunity? Child murderers, multiple murderers, serial rapists - you’ve ruined countless lives so why should you get another chance at life? I know that’s a view most people don’t have but I feel strongly about it and don’t get me started about what sentence these monsters should be handed!

OP posts:
sprigatito · 02/02/2024 20:53

Murder is a really complex concept that encompasses a huge range of scenarios. I think it should always mean a custodial sentence (which I don't believe is the case for most crimes) but I don't think it's right to have a blanket policy with no room for nuance.

The death penalty belongs in the past.

Duh · 02/02/2024 20:53

Well murder is a mandatory life sentence. 20 years (or whatever number) is a recommendation. They don’t get out after 20 years if still deemed a risk.

TigerRag · 02/02/2024 20:56

A few people (many of whom people wouldn't have heard of) are serving whole life sentences.

I don't believe we can have a one size fits all for murder as every case is different.

MyLadyTheKingsMother · 02/02/2024 20:56

I feel life should mean life. No 'minimum 20 years' you go to prison and you stay there until you die.

The death penalty is no better than murder, does not act as a detergent and would serve no purpose. It takes humanity backwards not forwards.

Sapphire387 · 02/02/2024 20:56

20 or 22 years is their minimum term. Doesn't mean they will definitely get out then. I hope they don't - they sound highly disturbed.

cerisepanther73 · 02/02/2024 20:59

It should be at least 25 years +

I wish 🤞 it was until the Grim reaper puts them in a box 📦
they deserve it,
constantly looking over the shoulder in case other prisoners may want to attack them,

Also a long sentence like that will make the rapist or murder prisoner feel suicidal so 🤔 that's something, what goes around comes around..

So thinking about that,

Long prison sentence is a head fxck for the prisoner who has committed that henious crime 😳 plenty of time for his mental health to be seriously affected...

Which is a good 👍 effective punishment....

SavingEveryLastPenny · 02/02/2024 21:00

Life for a life here. Im the minority im sure. But a good hanging will do.
Likewise for nonce's and sex offenders after torturing them in a way they've tortured an innocent victim.

cubbledug · 02/02/2024 21:00

I don't believe we can have a one size fits all for murder as every case is different

Why though? Murder is the pre-mediated taking of a life. Some may be more brutal than others but all should be punished to the maximum. A kids has been lost all the same

cubbledug · 02/02/2024 21:01

The death penalty is no better than murder, does not act as a detergent and would serve no purpose. It takes humanity backwards not forwards

I agree with this

CherryPiePiePie · 02/02/2024 21:02

Death penalty

WGACA · 02/02/2024 21:03

I remember as a child how horrified I was to learn that life didn’t actually mean life. I believe life should mean the person will never be released and they will die in prison.

Catza · 02/02/2024 21:03

It costs £40k to keep someone in prison for a year. That’s money out of mine and yours pocket. Rehabilitation allows some prisoners to be able to contribute to society and reduces rates of reoffending.
Crime is a complex biopsychosocial phenomenon, especially crimes committed by children. For example a vast number of perpetrators of abuse come from abusive households and experience adverse childhood events. That’s why we have charities dedicated to rehabilitation of perpetrators of domestic violence.

Catza · 02/02/2024 21:03

CherryPiePiePie · 02/02/2024 21:02

Death penalty

West Memphis Three…

TrixieFatell · 02/02/2024 21:04

After the minimum sentence they can apply for parole but it depends on the risk assessment made whether or not they get it. Once released they remain on life licence which will have its own restrictions.

OpalOrchid · 02/02/2024 21:04

The death penalty is also murder. Unless you are prepared to do the hanging. Then talk is easy.

Edsspecialsauce · 02/02/2024 21:05

@Catza completely agree. It makes people feel better to imagine they're monsters but murder is largely due to a million factors. Hopelessness being one.

Toooldtoworry · 02/02/2024 21:05

My friends murderer was sentenced this week. He got 19 years. 19 years for killing the woman he was supposed to love. Its insufficient. Nothing will bring my lovely friend back, and her murderer should not see the light of day again.

JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon · 02/02/2024 21:09

There is a mandatory life sentence for murder.

sprigatito · 02/02/2024 21:10

JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon · 02/02/2024 21:09

There is a mandatory life sentence for murder.

It means very different things in practice, though.

fonfusedm · 02/02/2024 21:10

I think it should be minimum 30 years

fonfusedm · 02/02/2024 21:11

The death penalty is no better than murder, does not act as a detergent and would serve no purpose. It takes humanity backwards not forwards

Is it cheaper than housing criminals for years?

JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon · 02/02/2024 21:11

Toooldtoworry · 02/02/2024 21:05

My friends murderer was sentenced this week. He got 19 years. 19 years for killing the woman he was supposed to love. Its insufficient. Nothing will bring my lovely friend back, and her murderer should not see the light of day again.

If he was found guilty of murder he didn't get 19 years. He would have got life, the judge may have recommended a minimum tariff of 19 years but the life sentence is imposed for all murders.

mynameiscalypso · 02/02/2024 21:11

I think the sentencing guidelines as they are are fine.

Ifailed · 02/02/2024 21:12

constantly looking over the shoulder in case other prisoners may want to attack them
So you condone inmate violence?

fonfusedm · 02/02/2024 21:12

For people killed by bad drivers I think the sentences are a joke.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.