My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think we’ll have a new PM/election sooner than expected?

101 replies

Chocolatefrogs · 25/01/2024 00:40

Have seen lots of stuff in the news this week about plotting to replace Rishi Sunak with a new Tory leader. I know there’s always lots of talk in the news about Tory in-fighting (especially given all the govt leadership challenges we’ve had in the last few years) but I think we are actually quite likely to get a new leader in the next few months, before the planned general election. AIBU?

OP posts:
SpursFan2 · 25/01/2024 00:49

YABU. I think Rishi is safe for now - I think the ‘Tory rebels’ or whatever they’re calling themselves are just trying to sound tough and to frighten the current government into submission. I wouldn’t say no to a change of government/PM though! Not a fan of the current lot (or the rebels!)

Hurrydash · 25/01/2024 00:58

I think you're right. Sunsk is widely viewed as rubbish and demonstrably unpopular.

As most Tory MPs are likely to lose their seats at the next election of course they want rid of him and to put in a candidate with at least some chance.

That thinking is bolstered by the fact that the opinion polls indicate support for Labour is largely because they're not Tories rather than any deep seated desire to have them in Government. Totally unlike 1997

Also given Starmer's lack of voter appeal the Tories still do stand a chance - albeit smsll - but only if they boot out Sunak very very soon. Like now!

Pariswhenitdrizzles · 25/01/2024 00:58

Meh I’m just not bothered. It feels like there’s a leadership election every 5 minutes 🤣 it’s a joke.

HelloPossums · 25/01/2024 01:01

Will be interesting how it pans out for the PM and the government over the next few months.

AlLumi · 25/01/2024 01:08

God knows we need a GE. The Tories know the lie of the land, and so are hanging on for dear life by their crooked, self-serving fingernails.

This government has swung from vicious, to incompetent, to catastrophic, to right wing madness and chaos, all with a side serving of lies, more lies and cruelty. What an absolute disgrace they have been. 

I don't give a toss who they vote as their latest leader. Every likely contender is an inexperienced, incompetent, right wing nutter, so let them carry on being a chaotic, cruel embarrassment, but out of power.

The Tory party as it is now, is completely unfit for purpose, and demonstrably unfit to govern.

Tomorrowillbeachicken · 25/01/2024 01:32

With a good chance Rishi could lose his own seat he’ll hold off election for as long as possible.

Kokeshi123 · 25/01/2024 02:59

I think they will wait as long as possible due to the hope that a miracle will turn up (Falklands type situation w/ rally round the flag, Keir Starmer glasses someone in a pub fight, etc. etc.).

It's going to be a long (tiresome, insulting, stupid) year.

TooBigForMyBoots · 25/01/2024 03:16

There might be. Which is why PM Sunak hinted at an autumn GE, to allow for another leadership battle over the summer.🙄

He knows he's out before the end of the year regardless.

MarmiteLovers · 25/01/2024 03:26

Agreeing with everyone including Alumi who describes it perfectly and Kokeshi about the coming year.

Wish the Tories would call a snap GE instead of dragging the country down further and filling their boots yet more. The country is on its knees with public services (the NHS, education, social care, social services, local government) all seemingly in crisis at the same time after being starved of funds for 14 years by the Tories.

Food banks and ‘warm spaces’ for the public in the winter are now an essential part of survival for so many people in the UK. Child poverty and homelessness has rocketed. Medicines shortages since Brexit. Unaffordable energy and water bills. Unaffordable private rents and unaffordable mortgages. Local authorities unable to balance their books and unable to provide basic essential services for local people. It’s tragic what has happened to the UK.

PieAndLattes · 25/01/2024 03:49

They won’t replace Rishi now. They’re doing so badly in the polls and really don’t have enough time to turn it around before an election. Johnson dragged the party through the mud to such an extent that it’s completely untrustworthy in its current incarnation and needs a big clear out and rebrand. Their best bet is to pull off the plaster, call an election, regroup, put Penny in charge and then start working to get back into power. It may take them 2 rounds of elections so badly has trust been damaged. It’s time to clear out the comedy baddies - Braverman, 30p Lee, Rees-Mogg, and the like, and let the grown ups take the helm.

TooBigForMyBoots · 25/01/2024 18:17

The last thing we need is Penny Mordaunt.😱 But I do think she'll be the next Tory leader.

2016MyLove · 25/01/2024 19:11

Food banks and ‘warm spaces’ for the public in the winter are now an essential part of survival for so many people in the UK. Child poverty and homelessness has rocketed. Medicines shortages since Brexit. Unaffordable energy and water bills. Unaffordable private rents and unaffordable mortgages. Local authorities unable to balance their books and unable to provide basic essential services for local people.

I cannot wait for Keir to take over and rid us of all this. To be able to walk into the doctors and get an immediate appointment will become reality and no more poverty as they will help the poor because Labour always look after those at the bottom. The doctors appointments will be his priority.

We need to rejoin the EU who will take control of our water and stop the poo in it, plus we will get medicines and foods again easy and cheap. If we pay in the contributions they require, they cannot refuse us and we will be a dominant country again in charge of Europe. At the head of the table and making decisions which is where we should be.

I cannot wait.

Iam4eels · 25/01/2024 19:18

If I was Rishi Sunak I'd burn all my bridges by calling a snap election and then immediately resigning to throw the party into as much turmoil as possible. I'd also complete my epic "fuck you" by releasing all of my WhatsApp messages, publishing the dirt dossiers on as many Tories as possible and taking every single lightbulb from Downing Street after sewing prawns into all the curtain hems.

I'd fuck off into the sunset with my £700 million personal fortune and dry my eyes with fifty pound notes as I laughed myself silly watching it all.

But that's just me.

I don't think people would tolerate yet another leadership contest, if he was forced to resign then the contest would have to be called on the agreement that an election would be immediately called by the new party leader.

Chocolatefrogs · 25/01/2024 23:44

If I was Rishi Sunak I'd burn all my bridges by calling a snap election and then immediately resigning to throw the party into as much turmoil as possible. I'd also complete my epic "fuck you" by releasing all of my WhatsApp messages, publishing the dirt dossiers on as many Tories as possible and taking every single lightbulb from Downing Street after sewing prawns into all the curtain hems.

I'd fuck off into the sunset with my £700 million personal fortune and dry my eyes with fifty pound notes as I laughed myself silly watching it all.

But that's just me.

I don't think people would tolerate yet another leadership contest, if he was forced to resign then the contest would have to be called on the agreement that an election would be immediately called by the new party leader.

🤣🤣🤣

OP posts:
2016MyLove · 26/01/2024 10:46

We need a GE so much now. The Tories have bled us dry, lied and have no integrity. We need Labour in power with all the freshness it brings and goodness they can do for us all.
I predict in 2 years time we will all be better off under their government and back in the EU which adds so so so many benefits. Restart FOM so we can bring in our EU friends to fill all the vacancies we have and kickstart our flagging economy and bring us into line with the European powerhouse nations. Rich times ahead and I cannot wait!

BoohooWoohoo · 26/01/2024 10:47

I think Rishi is safe until the election. Who’d want to be leader for just a few months and be lumped with Truss in the taking the piss stakes ?

HelloPossums · 26/01/2024 10:52

BoohooWoohoo · 26/01/2024 10:47

I think Rishi is safe until the election. Who’d want to be leader for just a few months and be lumped with Truss in the taking the piss stakes ?

I totally get this. The only thing that’s making me think we’ll get a new PM soon - perhaps before the election - is because there’s a clearer an appetite within the Tory party for a new leader e.g. within the group that is plotting for Rishi to go.

Goditswindy · 26/01/2024 10:54

But that's just me.

🤣🤣🤣

coffeerevelsrule · 26/01/2024 10:56

Also given Starmer's lack of voter appeal the Tories still do stand a chance - albeit smsll - but only if they boot out Sunak very very soon

Labour is 27 points ahead - he must be appealing to some!

Chocolatefrogs · 26/01/2024 11:18

coffeerevelsrule · 26/01/2024 10:56

Also given Starmer's lack of voter appeal the Tories still do stand a chance - albeit smsll - but only if they boot out Sunak very very soon

Labour is 27 points ahead - he must be appealing to some!

Yeah the Labour poll lead (for now) is pretty far ahead.

OP posts:
TeaAndStrumpets · 26/01/2024 11:30

2016MyLove · 26/01/2024 10:46

We need a GE so much now. The Tories have bled us dry, lied and have no integrity. We need Labour in power with all the freshness it brings and goodness they can do for us all.
I predict in 2 years time we will all be better off under their government and back in the EU which adds so so so many benefits. Restart FOM so we can bring in our EU friends to fill all the vacancies we have and kickstart our flagging economy and bring us into line with the European powerhouse nations. Rich times ahead and I cannot wait!

I'll have what you're having 😂

Locutus2000 · 26/01/2024 11:36

The Tories are one major scandal away from a GE leading to oblivion.

I also have complete faith in the Tories to produce said scandal in short order.

Goldenbear · 26/01/2024 11:43

Chocolatefrogs · 26/01/2024 11:18

Yeah the Labour poll lead (for now) is pretty far ahead.

Or more like the YouGov survey, the most comprehensive Opinion poll in give years is predicting a 1997 wipe out, even the Torygraph has reported this! Tory HQ is fucked how can they Spin Doctor their way out of utter defeat!

I'm not sure how true it is that those who are considering biting Labour are 'not Tories', anecdotally I have close connections to people who were definitely Tory voters before, work in the City and are in their 40's and they're voting Labour due to the decimation of the Economy, leaving the EU, functioning services, etc.

Goldenbear · 26/01/2024 11:45

Five years not 'give'

Voting Labour not 'biting'

AgnesX · 26/01/2024 11:46

At this rate of going David Cameron will be edging his way back in.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.