My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think this Indian restaurant manager was unreasonable? Or was I?

179 replies

StarlightRobbery · 10/10/2022 13:02

Last night I ordered an Indian takeaway as a treat. When it arrived it was mostly ok, although the rice was cold and the sauce in one particular dish tasted slightly sour as if it was off. I didn’t eat that part of the meal.

I tried calling the restaurant three times but they only have a mobile number, no landline and it kept saying busy with beeps- I guess people ordering.

Anyways later on, I got a request/notification on the app to review my food, I gave it 3 stars and the app prompted me to select a few reasons why. I selected rice was cold. I didn’t type anything just clicked it and that was that.

This morning very loud knock on the door, go to the door and a very abrupt man says “is that Starlightrobbery?” And I said yes. And he preceded to tell me that he was the manager of the restaurant and that I’d tried to scam him for a refund. That there was no way that the rice was cold as it’s last bagged and I’m a fraud. That I basically were trying to just get a refund and he was sick of people pulling this sort of scam. I told him I was under no illusion I was even getting a refund and that indeed the rice was cold.

He asked why I didn’t call the restaurant and I said I tried. He then said I should’ve drove down there and I said I couldn’t, because I had small children in bed. He then proceeded again to call me a fraud before saying he was off to two other houses who had request refunds through “Deliveroo”! I didn’t even order from Deliveroo!

I stewed it over and friends I’ve told think it’s quite amusing but I actually think he’s being slightly unreasonable to come to my house and kick off like that. I now feel like leaving a proper review saying this is what he does- but then he might come back. Ugh!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1276 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
2%
You are NOT being unreasonable
98%
Calandor · 10/10/2022 13:03

Of course he was unreasonable. That's very intimidating though I understand if he does get scammed a lot. I'd have been shaken up tbh. Don't order from there again.

Fightingbackwithhappiness · 10/10/2022 13:04

You are not being unreasonable! He clearly needs to up his game. Coming to your house and having a go at you is awful!

W0tnow · 10/10/2022 13:04

A random man knocking at your door and berating you?? It’s a lot more than slightly unreasonable! How dare he!

Hoppinggreen · 10/10/2022 13:05

Wow, that’s unbelievably awful

WeepingSomnambulist · 10/10/2022 13:05

Report him to whichever app you used.

They dont want to host restaurants who turn up at people's doors to tell at them.

Also, the restaurant are breaking GDPR. They cannot use your information like that. You're address is given for the delivery only. He cant turn up at your door. That is so intimidating. Fill out the police online form as he is harassing customers. They may not do anything and it dont usually say "go to the police" but I would let them know about this via the online form.

Youcancallmeirrelevant · 10/10/2022 13:05

I don't think he should have come to your house! And weird when you weren't asking for a refund

However i wouldn't have written about rice being cold, i never expect a takeaway to arrive hot unless i know we are first delivery on the drivers run. I always put the oven on low and pop any indian takeaways in there for 10mins to heat up again, only thing that arrives hot is pizza

StarlightRobbery · 10/10/2022 13:06

Thank you! My friends have made jokes like “oh you can’t order from there again they’ll spit in your food” the rice was only 2.90! Hardly worth the refund or hassle. I’m guessing he must get fake refund requests a lot but that isn’t my issue. He kept renting that Justeat and Deliveroo take a 25% of his profits or something and I simply said “well don’t use them then”

OP posts:
Twilightimmortal · 10/10/2022 13:06

I expect my food hot otherwise I can make rice myself. I would've wrote that too.

BecauseICan22 · 10/10/2022 13:06

StarlightRobbery · 10/10/2022 13:02

Last night I ordered an Indian takeaway as a treat. When it arrived it was mostly ok, although the rice was cold and the sauce in one particular dish tasted slightly sour as if it was off. I didn’t eat that part of the meal.

I tried calling the restaurant three times but they only have a mobile number, no landline and it kept saying busy with beeps- I guess people ordering.

Anyways later on, I got a request/notification on the app to review my food, I gave it 3 stars and the app prompted me to select a few reasons why. I selected rice was cold. I didn’t type anything just clicked it and that was that.

This morning very loud knock on the door, go to the door and a very abrupt man says “is that Starlightrobbery?” And I said yes. And he preceded to tell me that he was the manager of the restaurant and that I’d tried to scam him for a refund. That there was no way that the rice was cold as it’s last bagged and I’m a fraud. That I basically were trying to just get a refund and he was sick of people pulling this sort of scam. I told him I was under no illusion I was even getting a refund and that indeed the rice was cold.

He asked why I didn’t call the restaurant and I said I tried. He then said I should’ve drove down there and I said I couldn’t, because I had small children in bed. He then proceeded again to call me a fraud before saying he was off to two other houses who had request refunds through “Deliveroo”! I didn’t even order from Deliveroo!

I stewed it over and friends I’ve told think it’s quite amusing but I actually think he’s being slightly unreasonable to come to my house and kick off like that. I now feel like leaving a proper review saying this is what he does- but then he might come back. Ugh!

Totally inappropriate behaviour from any restaurant owner.

Don't see what relevance his ethnicity has to your issue though.

StarlightRobbery · 10/10/2022 13:07

Youcancallmeirrelevant · 10/10/2022 13:05

I don't think he should have come to your house! And weird when you weren't asking for a refund

However i wouldn't have written about rice being cold, i never expect a takeaway to arrive hot unless i know we are first delivery on the drivers run. I always put the oven on low and pop any indian takeaways in there for 10mins to heat up again, only thing that arrives hot is pizza

I didn’t even type anything! I gave three stars, then a list of what I ordered appeared and I admittedly clicked “rice was cold” because it was- it was stone cold! I never requested a refund though :/

OP posts:
ICanHideButICantRun · 10/10/2022 13:07

Tbh I would've just microwaved the rice for a minute and not left a review at all. Low ratings really affect restaurants.

ReenyRednek · 10/10/2022 13:08

Please update your review with the information that this man came to your door and tried to intimidate you.
Appalling behavior.

StarlightRobbery · 10/10/2022 13:09

Where have I referenced ethnicity? He wasn’t an Indian man, he was the manager of an Indian restaurant!

OP posts:
FurryDandelionSeekingMissile · 10/10/2022 13:09

Where has his ethnicity been mentioned?

CheezePleeze · 10/10/2022 13:10

If the rice couldn't possibly be cold, why on earth is that an option to select?

He sounds batshit. See if they have a FB page and complain about his behviour on it. Or better still, in your local FB group.

CharlotteUnaNatalieThompson · 10/10/2022 13:11

To marks for trying to turn this into a race issue when it's totally not. She didn't mention the man's race....

CheezePleeze · 10/10/2022 13:11

Oh stop showing yourself up 🙄

DarkAndDusty · 10/10/2022 13:13

I agree with updating your review to alert others of what's happened. He sounds unhinged.

If a restaurant or any other establishment invites customers to leave reviews surely they accept that some reviews may be negative. Too bad this guy isn't prepared to take feedback on board and improve his service but obviously that's not your problem

TCcoffee · 10/10/2022 13:13

My god, that is no way to deal with a review they don't like! How intimidating! I'd be furious. I'd be tempted to leave a further review explaining this is what happened afterwards. Although, I'd also be worried he would show up at my door again!

ilovesooty · 10/10/2022 13:16

StarlightRobbery · 10/10/2022 13:09

Where have I referenced ethnicity? He wasn’t an Indian man, he was the manager of an Indian restaurant!

That's how I read it, and the type of restaurant gives context to the meal you ordered.

StarlightRobbery · 10/10/2022 13:16

It caught me by surprise so I perhaps wasn’t as strong as I’d have liked to be. I’m also a woman on her own and had children in the house. I did think about just shutting the door in his face but wanted to try and diffuse things.

I am slightly worried he will come back.

OP posts:
nightfairy · 10/10/2022 13:16

'Well, don't use them then". Lovely. As if he has a choice, trying to stay afloat, with all his bills going up - power, food supplies, rent. So sorry your rice was cold.

StarlightRobbery · 10/10/2022 13:18

'Well, don't use them then". Lovely. As if he has a choice, trying to stay afloat, with all his bills going up - power, food supplies, rent. So sorry your rice was cold.

Oh give over. Plenty of restaurants around my area don’t use Justeat, or Deliveroo, or any of the like. They take orders directly, or have their own websites. Some do cash only.

He was trying to use his 25% deductions from Just Eat as a reason to be at my door and it’s not my problem. If he has an issue with how much Just Eat take, that’s for his restaurant to solve not a person who ordered one takeaway!

OP posts:
Cw112 · 10/10/2022 13:19

You're not being unreasonable he shouldn't have come to your door like that he was fully out of order. However I know a lot of small hospitality businesses have had to remove themselves from the likes of deliveroo and just eat because people are fraudulently claiming they didn't get their meal or things were missing etc to get money back it's a flaw in the system that some people do exploit and clearly he's at his wits end with it. However he should have removed the delivery option instead of coming to your door and harassing you over it.

Name99 · 10/10/2022 13:19

Of course he has a choice whether to use justeat or deliveroo.
They're not the mafia

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.