My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Hairdresser left me at the sink for 1 hour to do someone else's hair ...aibu?

135 replies

lookatmeeeeee · 28/09/2022 17:42

I had an appointment at 9am this morning for a t section of highlights and trim and blow dry.
Arrive at 8.50 and she starts my hair at 9.10.
By 9.45 she's done the highlights and says she will leave them to say for 50 minutes.
At 10.30 am a lady turns up and my hairdresser tells her she is 45 mins late but will accommodate her.
So she gets the young apprentice to rinse my colour out 5 mins later.
She doesn't shampoo /condition or tone just rinses bleach off.
My hairdresser starts doing this lady's hair (full head of highlights)
I'm still sat at the sink at 11.30 am ...another 15 mins passes and she apologised and shampoos and conditions.
I finally leave the hairdresser at 1pm
Bare in mind this was literally a t section and trim.
Aibu to think it's pretty crappy to leave me sat there for a hour at the sink whilst she does the lady's hair (who arrived 45 mins late)
I arrive early and are expected to just wait.

OP posts:
GooseberryCinnamonYogurt · 28/09/2022 17:43

Yes I would be very upset if this happened to me. I'd probably lodge a complaint.

ICanHideButICantRun · 28/09/2022 17:44

That is terrible. Did you give her a tip?

errnerrcallnernnernnern · 28/09/2022 17:45

That’s terrible. Did you complain?

CollieWobble22 · 28/09/2022 17:45

Ouch your neck!! Sounds awful OP

Thatiswild · 28/09/2022 17:46

I can’t believe you didn’t just walk out. There’s no way I would have been able to stay 4hr without losing it.

Jojoanna · 28/09/2022 17:46

I would have complained

Johnnysgirl · 28/09/2022 17:46

The other woman was 45 minutes late and the hairdresser did her anyway, during your time?! The only thing you're unreasonable about is sitting there for an hour without saying anything.
Why didn't you say anything?

CollieWobble22 · 28/09/2022 17:46

Or were you allowed to sit up? At mine it's head back and wait. Hurts so much.

I can no longer afford the salon so not an issue for me anymore 😆

lookatmeeeeee · 28/09/2022 17:46

Nope I didn't tip or complain
I wasn't sure if this was normal to wait that long as I haven't had my hair done in so long.
I've got a bad head now off the sink rests
I didn't take my phone over so I was just sat there

OP posts:
CollieWobble22 · 28/09/2022 17:47

I wasn't sure if this was normal to wait that long as I haven't had my hair done in so long.

That's really awful. It sounds really uncomfortable x

GroggyLegs · 28/09/2022 17:47

Not on OP.
It's the person who was late that should be inconvenienced, not you.

I'd have invented an appointment I needed to get to after 10 mins sat at the sink.

Minster2012 · 28/09/2022 17:47

Def complain
But I would've complained at the time too?

Johnnysgirl · 28/09/2022 17:48

You can't have thought it was normal that she disappeared to do the hair of someone who arrived after you, though?

oviraptor21 · 28/09/2022 17:48

Seriously? You had your head back in the neck rest of the basin?
Absolutely appalling "service".

GroggyLegs · 28/09/2022 17:49

I allow 3 hours for 1/2 head highlights, wash, cut & blow dry. And that's generous.

Ifulikepinacoladas · 28/09/2022 17:49

To be honest I would have sat up after 10 minutes, 15 max and asked if anyone was going to do your hair. Bit crazy to sit there til your neck hurt!

lookatmeeeeee · 28/09/2022 17:49

I wouldn't of minded as much if I had a hair mask on or something that was gonna help my hair...
I'm ridiculous I know I just didn't want to cause a fuss but in my head I knew it was shitty service
She's a brilliant hairdresser too and my hair looks lovely
I've avoided hairdressers for years

OP posts:
Tigofigo · 28/09/2022 17:53

That's awful and completely unacceptable. I'd complain, strongly.

MinervaTerrathorn · 28/09/2022 17:54

Sounds like pure torture. I can barely make it through a hair wash due to the pain. I'd have spoken up and asked for my hair to be washed as I couldn't stay in that position.

RedHelenB · 28/09/2022 17:56

Why on earth didn't you say anything? I can't imagine just sitting at my hairdressers like that and I hate going too.

misskatamari · 28/09/2022 17:57

So so bad! God I hate those sinks at the best of times, no way I could have put up with what you did today. It’s so shitty. I completely get the not wanting to make a fuss. We can all tell you you should have complained, but it’s hard in the moment, and I’m sure you were pretty much spending the entire time thinking “she’ll be back any second…”

I would complain now though. It doesn’t have to be aggressive for nasty, but she/the salon need to understand just how terrible this service was! It’s completely unacceptable

Slowandwobbly · 28/09/2022 17:58

oviraptor21 · 28/09/2022 17:48

Seriously? You had your head back in the neck rest of the basin?
Absolutely appalling "service".

More than appalling service. OP you could have suffered serious nerve damage to your neck which may only be discovered weeks or months later.

Also, only washing out the bleach and not using the proper conditioners straight away may affect your hair.

Before Covid my hairdresser didn't operate an appointment system. They would start on your hair then leave you for awhile at certain points in the process while they worked on someone else. But they they didn't leave you when damage to you or your hair could occur. Also, the trick was to say at the start that you needed to be elsewhere at a certain time. That usully worked to speed things up.

Now they are sticking to appointments only which is much better.

Next time OP you need to find your voice and stand up to poor treatment.

50percentNamaste50percentGoFuckYourself · 28/09/2022 17:59

ah come on...you didn't sit with your head in the sink for an hour, did you? Who would do that?
After 5 mins I'd stand up and go ask when they were coming back to finish my hair.

I have trouble believing anyone would just sit there quietly for an hour! and said nothing!!

RealRecogniseReal · 28/09/2022 18:00

Please complain! Someone come along and correct me if I’m wrong but when I did a 2 year hairdressing course a long few years ago, we were told never to leave a client in the basin for too long, and especially not unattended due to pressure points at the back of the neck/bottom of the head that can lead to lightheadedness/collapse!

slowquickstep · 28/09/2022 18:00

And you didn't open your mouth !

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.