Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Hate new stair carpet

ilkleymoorbartat · 16/01/2022 08:39

Total first world problems I realise. Have attached pics. Gah, I hate it! I don’t know exactly what I’m asking but aibu, and if not what should I do!

Hate new stair carpet
OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

TheGriffle · 16/01/2022 08:41

It looks good, there must have been a reason why you liked it and chose it in the first place? Is it that it just doesn’t look how you imagined now it’s in?

Please
or

MrsPatrickDempsey · 16/01/2022 08:43

I really like it.

Please
or

ClariceQuiff · 16/01/2022 08:43

It looks fine to me, and also hard-wearing which is what you want from a stair carpet.

Please
or

TheChosenTwo · 16/01/2022 08:44

Oh no, sorry I don’t like it either Blush it reminds me of the runners they used to put in the hallways of army housing.
How much of is there? Just one flight of stairs? More?

Please
or

Kawaii50 · 16/01/2022 08:45

It looks like you were going for a natural theme so I would say put a nice tall houseplant on the wooden floor at the bottom on the left of the picture. Possibly also plants in the window but not sure if your window sill is quite narrow?

Please
or

Athena101 · 16/01/2022 08:45

It looks nice, maybe a little plain? Could you get some gold coloured stair rods to break it up a bit?

Please
or

Crocky · 16/01/2022 08:45

What is it you hate about it? I think it looks lovely.

Please
or

TroysMammy · 16/01/2022 08:45

Love the staircase and the carpet compliments it.

Please
or

Interrobanger · 16/01/2022 08:45

Why did you choose it?

Please
or

PrivateHall · 16/01/2022 08:46

It looks smart and well fitted. I really don't like the colour but I wouldn't have chosen it - you did so surely you must like it really? Maybe you just need to get used to it? You will have to unless you pay to have it changed!

Please
or

DropYourSword · 16/01/2022 08:47

What was there before? It doesn’t look bad.

Please
or

ilkleymoorbartat · 16/01/2022 08:47

I think it’s too brown, definitely wanted something neutral but with a bit of texture. It’s faux sisal, the feel is nice, but it’s just too brown I think. All the other were too warm which is why we went for this one.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Maireas · 16/01/2022 08:48

I know what you mean, it's very ugly. It's utilitarian without being stylish. Very 1970s and not in a good way. You aren't going to learn to love it, so just get rid. Cut your losses.
Is there any way to sell it on?

Please
or

KiloWhat · 16/01/2022 08:49

Will look nice if you wanted some plants?

Please
or

MaizeAmaze · 16/01/2022 08:50

What was there before? It might just be the change from before that is making it look different?

Please
or

Maireas · 16/01/2022 08:50

@ilkleymoorbartat

I think it’s too brown, definitely wanted something neutral but with a bit of texture. It’s faux sisal, the feel is nice, but it’s just too brown I think. All the other were too warm which is why we went for this one.

Yes, I know what you mean about it being too brown.
It's hard to judge before it's laid.
Please
or

Sciurus83 · 16/01/2022 08:51

I like it! Crazily I had cream on mine, looks lovely now but once it went on realised its going to be a nightmare and wished I'd got what you had! I was thinking about brass screw in rods on a runner, thar might add some interest?

Please
or

DropYourSword · 16/01/2022 08:51

I think the floorboards on the landing are beautiful and a nice colour. Maybe if you chose a carpet colour that matched those boards if would “fit” a little more?
I’m assuming there’s no refund/exchange option for changing your mind with a carpet?
Can you afford to replace if you really decide you don’t like it, or are you asking for tips on how to learn to live with it?

Please
or

maddening · 16/01/2022 08:51

Love it, how much did it cost out of interest?

Please
or

HollyBollyBooBoo · 16/01/2022 08:51

I can understand, it's just a little too dark. I think you'll get used to it though!

My downstairs flooring is too light but no way could I spend thousands replacing it so you learn to live with it.

Please
or

FluffyBooBoo · 16/01/2022 08:52

I usually click on these threads and really like what I see.

I don't like this. It's pretty ugly. I think in a different colour it would be okay.

I'm not sure what you should do though. Can you afford to replace it?

Please
or

Pegasussnail · 16/01/2022 08:53

I like it. Its smart and neutral.
Might need a soften up with plants as mentioned.

Please
or

maddening · 16/01/2022 08:53

I also think that with the walls, skirts and boards similar colours it looks really striking and works with the style of the bannisters, it is really nice.

Please
or

Bonnieonthelam · 16/01/2022 08:54

I think there’s way too many conflicting neutrals in this picture. You have a smart home and this isn’t what you’d imagined it turning out like. Can you return it for loss and get something you love. I’d wager the seller could resell this quite easily. Whatever you choose next should compliment the banisters and white wood. The wooden part of your stair railings. Can’t that be painted black? I know natural wood showing through is gorgeous but it’s too many of the browns that’s causing the clash possibly (the edge of the carpet and the main body of the carpet are so different to me the wood)

Please
or

stuntbubbles · 16/01/2022 08:55

I can sort of see how if you wanted a neutral sisal type thing this would be disappointing, but it’s not bad! And your staircase overall is bloody gorgeous: I’m envious.

I’d embrace the tone/colour and whack up framed art, plants in pots, a rug that has some of the same tones in on the landing, etc. Your eye will tune out the runner eventually – it’s the shock of the new. And it looks brilliantly hard-wearing AND good at hiding dirt, the holy grail.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.