Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

My daughters name.

Peteer · 06/11/2021 21:08

Hi, i have a 13 month old daughter.
When my wife was pregnant i wanted to call her Olive after my Olive tree, a couple weeks before she was born i thouht Maeve was a nice name also.
When she was born i was torn between the 2 names, the midwife put pressure on us to name the baby so we named her Maeve.
6months on my wife and myself didnt like Maeve because it is one syllable so we changed her name to Mavis Olive.
My wife loves the name Mavis i like it more than Maeve but it doesent really warm to me. I really regret not naming her Olive. I love Mavis she is perfect i guess im worried she might not like her name one day too.

This issue has me really stressed.
Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks..

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

steff13 · 06/11/2021 22:29

@damndorothea

Mavis is a character in a new show called Only Murders In The Building with Selena Gomez playing a 28 y.o Mavis. It fits her really well and doesn't feel like an old lady name. I also really like Olive

It's such a fantastic show.
Please
or

CambsAlways · 06/11/2021 22:31

I like Maeve it’s a beautiful name, not keen on olive reminds me of on the buses, not keen on Mavis, reminds me of coronation street

Please
or

DooBopDeeDeeBop · 06/11/2021 22:34

So did I.

Please
or

DareDevil223 · 06/11/2021 22:35

@damndorothea

Mavis is a character in a new show called Only Murders In The Building with Selena Gomez playing a 28 y.o Mavis. It fits her really well and doesn't feel like an old lady name. I also really like Olive

The character is called Mabel not Mavis.

I must really be getting old because Mavis and Olive are two of the ugliest names I can think of...
Please
or

LampHat · 06/11/2021 22:35

@damndorothea

It is great, but she’s called Mabel.

Mavis is lovely though and definitely due a comeback.
Please
or

notsohippychick · 06/11/2021 22:35

Maeve is gorgeous. I’m sorry the other two names don’t do it for me. Mavis and Olive just aren’t very pretty names.

Please
or

godmum56 · 06/11/2021 22:36

I wouldn't worry. Once your littlie can talk, she will call herself what she likes, once she is in school, she will get a nickname or two. As a teenager she will change her name if she wants to....In reality, the time that parents have control over their child's name iw woefully short.

Please
or

aSofaNearYou · 06/11/2021 22:47

It's no more likely that she'll dislike Mavis than Olive so I wouldn't worry about her not liking it. Personally I would just relax, you are overthinking it.

Please
or

Peteer · 06/11/2021 23:07

i know, i think she was keen to fill out the paperwork.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TuftyMarmoset · 06/11/2021 23:09

Well, I wouldn't like to be called Mavis tbh. I do think Mavis is ugly, sorry. She can choose to go by a nickname (eg May) or by her middle name when she's a bit older.

Please
or

Welshwabbit · 06/11/2021 23:13

My nan was called Mavis and her best friend was called Olive. So not really the point, but your daughter's name makes me smile.

Please
or

yourestandingonmyneck · 06/11/2021 23:16

I think Mavis is sweet and Maeve is a nice shortening that I'd imagine her friends will use.

It's a good name and your wife loves it, so I think your are overthinking it.

Please
or

WhoWillBuyThisWonderfulMorning · 06/11/2021 23:17

The midwife didn't need to know the babies name. You have 42 days to register your baby. The hospital can use MI or FI
I've known plenty of babies go home without a name.
Cute names tho!

Please
or

Batfinkwings · 06/11/2021 23:20

I think Mavis has Coronation Street connotations for some people over the age of 40, which make it seem an “old person’s name”

I think objectively it’s a lovely, pretty sounding name. Particularly when you consider it’s meaning. I agree with previous posters that it is well overdue a comeback.

Please
or

FrazzledMCPremenopausalWoman · 06/11/2021 23:30

LOVE Mavis. I've only ever met one In real life, she was late thirties (around ten years ago) and so pretty, bubbly and just lovely. There was also an engine in Thomas the Tank Engine named Mavis (she may have been a bus actually), she was toddler DS's favourite - so whenever I hear the name it brings back fond memories for me.

Please
or

KimDeals · 06/11/2021 23:30

Aw no!! Mavis over Maeve?! Are you not Irish? Do you know what an absolute legendary name Maeve is??? !!!

I’d flip to olive (which is lovely) if I were you, if not Maeve! (Sorry just can’t believe you had such a great name and substituted with Mavis!)

Please
or

Peteer · 06/11/2021 23:46

@yourestandingonmyneck

I think Mavis is sweet and Maeve is a nice shortening that I'd imagine her friends will use.

Thanks 👍
OP's posts:
Please
or

Peteer · 06/11/2021 23:47

@yourestandingonmyneck

Thanks so much 👍
OP's posts:
Please
or

Peteer · 06/11/2021 23:50

@Welshwabbit

My nan was called Mavis and her best friend was called Olive. So not really the point, but your daughter's name makes me smile.

❤️❤️
OP's posts:
Please
or

Nottheduchess · 06/11/2021 23:58

My daughter wanted to changer her name to Mavis when she was 5, after the girl from Hotel Transylvania. Even the teachers had to call her Mavis Grin

When she was born, the midwives asked if we had a name but there was no pressure. It was asked out of interest not form filling.
My parents took ages to name me, in the end the health visitor was putting pressure on because they were running out of time. They didn’t manage a middle name so just the two names for me. Saves time on form filling.

Please
or

CrazyTimesAreOccurring · 07/11/2021 00:04

You wanted to her your child after your olive tree Hmm? Why on earth would you name a child after a tree Grin?

Thank goodness you aren't too attached to a Leylandii

Please
or

Cryalot2 · 07/11/2021 00:12

Lovely names ,I really love Olive.
Just call her what you are happy with.

Please
or

toomuchlaundry · 07/11/2021 00:19

I wondered why you wanted to call your daughter after your olive tree

Please
or

Squeezita · 07/11/2021 00:24

There’s a lot of ‘I like’ ‘I wanted’ ‘I love’ in your post. I hope you’re wife hit equal say in the choice of name? Maybe even more of a say as she went through the huge ordeal of childbirth?

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with changing the baby’s name, I know a few people who have done it and it’s amazing how the old name becomes quickly obsolete and forgotten.

Please
or

Peteer · 07/11/2021 00:28

@CrazyTimesAreOccurring

You wanted to her your child after your olive tree Hmm? Why on earth would you name a child after a tree Grin?

Thank goodness you aren't too attached to a Leylandii

Ok there is obviously a olive tree at my house, every year we pick the olives, jar them, eat them and give them away.
The tree got huge so i cut it back, i cut it back too much though, i thought i killed it my wife thought i killed it even my neighbour had a dig at me.

Around the same time the wife got pregnant with Mavis the the olive tree suddenly beautifully bloomed and came back to life. Also my Mother gave me the tree. Its symbolic to me.
OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.