Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

My daughters name.

Peteer · 06/11/2021 21:08

Hi, i have a 13 month old daughter.
When my wife was pregnant i wanted to call her Olive after my Olive tree, a couple weeks before she was born i thouht Maeve was a nice name also.
When she was born i was torn between the 2 names, the midwife put pressure on us to name the baby so we named her Maeve.
6months on my wife and myself didnt like Maeve because it is one syllable so we changed her name to Mavis Olive.
My wife loves the name Mavis i like it more than Maeve but it doesent really warm to me. I really regret not naming her Olive. I love Mavis she is perfect i guess im worried she might not like her name one day too.

This issue has me really stressed.
Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks..

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Peteer · 07/11/2021 00:32

@ladygindiva

Maeve is lovely, mavis olive has a nice ring too. Leave it as it is.

Thanks ❤️
OP's posts:
Please
or

Ugzbugz · 07/11/2021 00:38

I don't know many people who like their name, me included but not keen on any of those names but why was the midwife so invested?

Mine was

Baby of ugzbugz and we have different surnames.

Please
or

Squeezita · 07/11/2021 00:39

I love my name, I love how it sounds, how it’s written. It gets lots of compliments and questions about what it means.

Please
or

Peteer · 07/11/2021 00:53

Thanks for all the feedback ❤️

OP's posts:
Please
or

Footle · 07/11/2021 06:52

@Squeezita , OP may be a woman. Chill.

Please
or

EnidFrighten · 07/11/2021 07:17

I think Mavis is a brilliant name!

Why don't you just make a special effort to link her to the tree - put a plaque on it, tie a ribbon in it each birthday etc. Or donate to tree aid every year in her name. And ensure she likes eating olives and olive oil, it will set her up for life!

My dad rejected a name before I was born because it was a bit silly, called me a similar one, then changed their mind and I was called both throughout childhood! Think rejected name Jenny, official one Janine. I changed it to be officially the rejected name eventually. You could always call her something involving olive or 'my little olive tree' etc as a term of endearment.

Please
or

Treecreature · 07/11/2021 07:35

I would drop Meave and Mavis without hesitation and go with Olive.

Please
or

WeDidntMeanToGoToSea · 07/11/2021 07:42

I know Olive is having a real moment atm, but I just don't think it works as a name. Olivia is lovely, by contrast, but done to death atm.

Of Maeve and Mavis, I much prefer Maeve, but neither of you feel it's right so that's irrelevant. There's nothing 'wrong' with Mavis and I suspect you're ahead of the curve on it and in 10 years' time they'll be everywhere.

I think there may be something else going on here which is being projected onto the name issue.

Please
or

Platax · 07/11/2021 07:49

Did you formally change the name on the birth certificate?

Please
or

EishetChayil · 07/11/2021 07:53

Midwives need training not to do this. In my culture we don't name babies for eight days after birth, and it's extremely bad luck to do so.

Please
or

Tippexy · 07/11/2021 07:57

[quote Footle]@Squeezita , OP may be a woman. Chill. [/quote]
Even if OP is a woman she didn’t go through the pregnancy and labour, sooooo…

Please
or

Cissyandflora · 07/11/2021 08:05

Just FYI you don’t even have to name the baby within the official time frame- you can get an extension. I took ages to name mine.

I think Olive is used a lot at the moment. Haven’t heard of a Mavis though so that might be more cool. Maeve is very popular and personally I would never go for a popular name. But your names are all fine. Good luck!

Please
or

Verfremdungseffekt · 07/11/2021 08:08

I’m baffled by people thinking Maeve and Mavis are practically the same name. Maeve is a kick-ass warrior queen in the Ulster Cycle. Mavis was the comedy ditherer on Coronation Street.

Please
or

MangoIce · 07/11/2021 08:25

I prefer Olive. Not keen on Mavis. If you and your dw don’t like the name, I think you can still change it.

Please
or

VestaTilley · 07/11/2021 08:27

YABU. It’s too late, you should have spoken up at the time. Mavis is her name and you’ll get used to it.

Who names a baby after a tree anyway?? Is this a wind up?

Please
or

TheViewFromTheCheapSeats · 07/11/2021 08:30

The more I think on it the more Mavis grows on me as a name. Less room for confusion as well giving the name when she’s older in the phone etc. Maeve/ May/Maueve/ Maud…

Please
or

ldfdyjxzyjkv · 07/11/2021 08:31

Mavis Olive is very cute and will age well; don’t worry.

Please
or

Clawdy · 07/11/2021 08:34

My sister had the same sort of thing, the midwife insisting she gave a first name for the baby record book. Sister said crossly "Oh, put Ann for Anonymous! " When her DH came into the ward later, he picked up the book and gasped "Oh, how lovely, you've picked my mum's name, Ann!" So Ann it was! She loves it, because there were no other Anns at her school!

Please
or

Cupcakeschocolate · 07/11/2021 08:36

My eldest has a double barrel name. I use the second half, his dad uses the first half. When he's in trouble we use his full name Smile he doesn't mind either way. Some people he calls himself second half others first half.

Please
or

Lemonsyellow · 07/11/2021 08:37

Who names a baby after a tree anyway?? Is this a wind up?

There are several tree names. Holly, Rowan, Hazel, etc. There’s nothing odd about it. My child is named after a tree too. The OP’s reasons for liking Olive are very valid, I think.

Please
or

TheGoogleMum · 07/11/2021 08:38

I like Maeve best of the 3! Olive im not keen on - its like a less pretty version of Olivia to me. Or Olive Oyl from popeye... but what strangers online think isn't the point is it I guess? Tell your wife you aren't keen and discuss changing it if you want to, personally I think olive in this case might work better as a term of endearment instead of her name

Please
or

stingofthebutterfly · 07/11/2021 08:54

Maeve and Olivia are nice, but Mavis and Olive are names that shouldn't be anywhere near a baby imo. They both sound really dated to me. Sorry.

Please
or

stingofthebutterfly · 07/11/2021 08:57

Or keep Mavis and just call her May. That's lovely and very underused as a first name.

Please
or

BigHuff · 07/11/2021 09:00

Mavis is a great name. I agree with a pp that it is overdue a comeback, whereas Maeve is perhaps on the out. (So saying - who cares about how trendy a name is, as long as you personally like it?)

Mavis Olive has a good cadence to it. Congratulations on the baby!

Please
or

ThirdElephant · 07/11/2021 09:10

To add to the crowd, it's too late to change it and is a perfectly nice name.

I don't adore DC1's name- my DH vetoed all the ones I really liked- so I know how you feel, but ultimately to DC1 it's just her name. I wouldn't change it just for the sake of my vanity.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.