Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

AIBU?

Am I missing something here? Meghan Markle

554 replies

Whitehorseinthehill · 13/11/2019 16:15

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7679223/Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-not-spending-Christmas-Sandringham.html

Sorry for the Meghan Markle thread and DM link, but I have found this really amusing today.

Story out today saying Harry and Meghan apparently aren't spending Xmas with the Queen this year. Lots of comments below blaming Meghan, saying she's isolating Harry from his family, saying the Queen must be really upset. Everyone at work was chatting about it today saying similar.

Am I missing something? I mean we don't even know if it's true. But even if it is, aren't they entitled to spend Xmas as they please? She has her own mother she may want to see.

Ok I get that it's the Queen and it's the usual tradition but is it really a big deal?

OP posts:
SarahNade · 15/11/2019 12:17

The80sweregreat
These threads always turn into ' republican v royalist ' agenda.

No they don't, in fact, the absolute opposite. The royalists tend to be bashing Meghan, and the republicans are the ones defending her. I am for us becoming a republic, yet the disgusting venom, bullying and hatred of Meghan is way beyond anything any other royal in history has undergone.

SarahNade · 15/11/2019 12:19

@DonKeyshot Do you really believe everything you read in the trashy tabloids? If Meghan wanted to go into US politics, common sense would suggest she would marry a US congressman or insider, not marry a foreigner.

SarahNade · 15/11/2019 12:22

@ChicCroissant Bertrand is right, those questions are never answered.

User0987613 · 15/11/2019 12:57

If Meghan goes back to the US permanently she'll be treated like A-List royalty with all doors open to her, and possibly what she's considering at the moment. Hillary Clinton is already a "fan", along with huge names from showbiz, sports & politics. In the event of a divorce, she'll be free from all royal duties but still have her fame, son and Hollywood contacts. Back home she can easily make millions through endorsements, business, events, book deals, or obviously acting again, without worrying what the palace thinks or wants. She'll also be a non tax-payer funded celebrity so she'll be entitled to less scrutiny about her spending and lifestyle.

I think she was collateral damage in the rift between H&W. The press were gagged from writing about the alleged affair and W&K have only had glowing coverage recently. Harry was probably fuming that his wife took the brunt of the media circus, with truly shocking stories kept under wraps. Understandably, both have felt ostracized from the family, who probably chose to look the other way while Meghan was being slated for innocuous things like bump touching. Under the circumstances, it's obvious that Kate would not stick her neck out and give the press a juicier field day, when Meghan unintentionally deflected all the scrutiny from the Cambridge family.

Meghan is probably also tired of living in a cold, foggy countryside and dreaming of spending her days in a multi-million mansion in sunny California and being able to see her mum and old friends every day. The question is whether Harry would be able to keep up with that life or if his MH problems & possible isolation from his family & friends will end up too much for the relationship.

PortiaCastis · 15/11/2019 13:00

Good grief presumption is rife on here
Still cannot understand all this supposition and nastiness

Dongdingdong · 15/11/2019 13:05

A lot of what User0987613 has said sounds plausible IMO.

SunsetBoulevard3 · 15/11/2019 13:10

I think that is exactly what Meghan has in mind. She seems to be building the foundations for a new sort of life already. I don't however think Harry will thrive in the US living a celebrity type life with Meghan in charge of everything. He already looks like he isn't coping. He's been brought up in a certain sort of way and doesn't really know anything else. Even in the Army he was amongst his own 'sort'. I can't see him adapting at all.
I think within two years they will have moved to the US and then their marriage will start to seriously unravel.

diddl · 15/11/2019 13:13

"I don't however think Harry will thrive in the US living a celebrity type life"

Can't help thinking that it's the life he thinks that he wants, but as you say, wouldn't suit.

Didn't he once say that he wanted to marry a celebrity as they would be able to handle the pressure?

BertrandRussell · 15/11/2019 13:16

“ I think that is exactly what Meghan has in mind. She seems to be building the foundations for a new sort of life already.”

What, by going to visit her mother for Christmas? Grin

LaurieMarlow · 15/11/2019 13:21

Can't help thinking that it's the life he thinks that he wants, but as you say, wouldn't suit.

Word to the wise. When you start speculating wildly on the motivations, plans and capacity for happiness of people you’ve never even met, you run the risk of sounding a bit ridiculous.

Unless you are of course Harry’s bessie mate, in which case crack on.

PortiaCastis · 15/11/2019 13:25

Fantasy Island on here today

BertrandRussell · 15/11/2019 13:27

I know this is speculation, but frankly, from his public presentation, he looks as if there is nothing he would hate more than being a celebrity. I reckon the worst thing that happened to him in adult life was being forced out of the army. A lot of army officers without his baggage get very lost in civilian life. Another score against the press release n his head....

diddl · 15/11/2019 13:56

" you run the risk of sounding a bit ridiculous."

Says the person using the phrase "bessie mate"!

percheron67 · 15/11/2019 14:02

SarahNade - I still don't know how you want me to dress!!??

LaurieMarlow · 15/11/2019 14:52

Says the person using the phrase "bessie mate"!

Fair Grin

Johnsonsfiat · 15/11/2019 14:59

Or. The truth could be duller.
She's married into royalty. She loves her husband. She'll maybe have some more babies with him. The press have been awful, but she knew that would happen (tho phaps still shocked by it) and they're not going to the Queen's this year because people don't always go there every year.

ItIsWhatItIsInnit · 15/11/2019 15:39

The Daily Mail are literally out on a witch-hunt. There is an article today saying that Meghan's Stella McCartney coat was made in the equivalent of a sweatshop in Romania, where workers toil for above EU minimum wage for 44 hours a week (hardly a sweatshop....). There is an expose and interview with some of the workers, pulling classic DM sad faces.

There is also an article praising Kate for being "down to earth" because she's worn a £2700 suit for a second time.

No mention of whatever sweatshop/factory that was made in!

Anyone who doesn't see that the media are out on a personal vendetta must be blind.

The80sweregreat · 15/11/2019 16:15

The Mail called Kate ' down to earth' for getting a train to Norfolk for an engagement.
I bet she wasn't standing up in the aisles smelling any boiled eggs being peeled back and the entire carriage for her was full of security! It's good to see , but if it was Meghan the article would have had a sinister turn of some sort and ' down to earth' not written! Probably blamed her for the train strikes on southern rail instead.

PortiaCastis · 15/11/2019 16:31

Trouble is people believe the peddlers; of shite like the fail or the sun and then fire off their venom at the gutter press latest target and how awful to be that target, some of these journos and trolls need to realise they are destroying someone's mental health. Jesy Norman was a bitching target until she found the courage to speak out against the malice, why do some people think being an online or media arsehole is commendable.

StoneofDestiny · 15/11/2019 16:35

Agree with the ridiculous statements in the press that Kate is ‘down to earth’ and by inference - thrifty. Her clothes budget is mammoth as is her transport costs. People have to be stupid to imagine anybody in the royal family is frugal.

phoenixrosehere · 15/11/2019 16:40

Meghan is probably also tired of living in a cold, foggy countryside and dreaming of spending her days in a multi-million mansion in sunny California and being able to see her mum and old friends every day.

Um, she spent most of her time in Toronto, Canada for seven years where Suits was shot before she moved to the U.K.. Toronto’s weather is usually worse than here.

BertrandRussell · 15/11/2019 16:59

Yep. Meghan probably much prefers hot weather............

Encyclo · 15/11/2019 17:07

@ItIsWhatItIsInnit The Daily Mail are literally out on a witch-hunt. There is an article today saying that Meghan's Stella McCartney coat was made in the equivalent of a sweatshop in Romania, where workers toil for above EU minimum wage for 44 hours a week (hardly a sweatshop....). There is an expose and interview with some of the workers, pulling classic DM sad faces.

There is also an article praising Kate for being "down to earth" because she's worn a £2700 suit for a second time.

No mention of whatever sweatshop/factory that was made in!

Anyone who doesn't see that the media are out on a personal vendetta must be blind.

This is my major issue with the Media. Calling out Harry and Meghan, while lauding William and Kate.

The canonisation of Kate is making me bilious. The headline today from the Fail reporting on Kate's visit to a Hospice:

Compassionate Kate 🙄🙄

Encyclo · 15/11/2019 17:08

Shocking bold fail

Encyclo · 15/11/2019 17:12

Continuing my point...

When Meghan visited a care home last year she was lambasted for a)holding her bump and b) wearing a flowery dress.

No "Compassionate Meghan" headlines for her.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.