Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To wonder if anyone has a nice manager?

83 replies

malificent7 · 16/06/2017 22:07

Aibu to think that there id s gertsin 'type' who thrives in management.

Ive had many managers who have dubious characteristics... intimidating stares and confrontational , patronising, victimisation. There havw been the odd nice manager.

Does anyone have a genuinely lovely manager? Xx

OP posts:
blue2014 · 16/06/2017 22:09

Yep - mine is honestly wonderful. And very very fair.

But then have had loads of good managers

LedaP · 16/06/2017 22:11

Almost My whole leadership team is lovely.

The 2 managers who i work directly for are amazing.

I am also a manager. People move departments and/or teams to work for me. So i must be doing something right

NewUserName01 · 16/06/2017 22:11

I've had a couple of good managers. They've been people who trust you to get on with it but make you feel they'd 'have your back' if you needed it.

Have had more poor managers though. I've got a good one at the moment!

QuitMoaning · 16/06/2017 22:12

Mine is awesome. In fact the two before were also awesome (same company).
He is clear on his expectations, demands honesty and respect but also gives that back. When I have a personal issue, I have as much time as I need (e.g a health issue and also MiL death).
Never takes credit for my work, just takes credit for having me on his team.
In return I am committed and loyal and work my socks off.

Cocopopsrule · 16/06/2017 22:13

Yep me. - She's a good one.

TheWeeWitch · 16/06/2017 22:14

I was a nice manager (retail). I didn't last long, though. My team worked very well and I tried hard to know them and to make their working lives better. Senior management thought I was too soft and gave me merry hell because of it. SM didn't like that I was close to my team.

So yes, I think in certain sectors there is a "type" of managerial behaviour expected and it's not nice.

TheFallenMadonna · 16/06/2017 22:14

My line manager is great. A really lovely, supportive, genuine bloke.

MrsDanversKnickers · 16/06/2017 22:16

Mine is good, but I've had some horrendous ones in the past.

babyinthacorner · 16/06/2017 22:16

I got a text from my manager tonight that left me walking on air - she said she's looking forward to having me back after maternity leave. This was after I asked if I could swap one of my keeping in touch days that we'd already agreed.
She's also been very accommodating about my return to work part time in a new role and has put extra support in place for me. She's new to the position and I only got to work with her for a few months before going on mat leave.
I'm actually quite excited to go back!

Supersoaryflappypigeon · 16/06/2017 22:16

I have a lovely manager and was one myself for a while, but I was too soft too.

BigBairyHollocks · 16/06/2017 22:18

My manager is great,as a pp says,lets you get on with things but has your back if you need it.I also am a manager and am told I am understanding and effective,and people actively seek to stay on my team.Isnt bloody easy though 😬

khajiit13 · 16/06/2017 22:19

Me. He's great. Very friendly, mostly funny. That means when shit is serious, you know it's serious. Understanding, motivating, challenging. I enjoy where I work

Tippitoesandbuttonnose · 16/06/2017 22:19

I didn't. Had to quit 6 weeks ago due to being bullied at work and it was all completely encouraged by manager

RickOShay · 16/06/2017 22:20

If i didn't have my manager i couldn't do my job, it's him and me v the general misery of everyone else. Thank god for him.

AccidentalMagic · 16/06/2017 22:20

Mine is lovely.

DD was ill last week and my boss told me that if I needed time off then it wasn't a problem ( I didn't need to as it happened - my mum was able to step in). My boss told me that family came first and that she knew how tough it was to be a working mum. On a side note, I love my job and am very motivated. Part of the reason why is the supportive management team.

Highalert · 16/06/2017 22:21

My manager is nice enough, she's just crap at her job.

TheNaze73 · 16/06/2017 22:22

My staff do. They're very lucky....

They often remark on my modesty too Wink

ThomasRichard · 16/06/2017 22:22

Mine is lovely. Demanding but really cares about her staff and works incredibly hard.

Boynamedsue · 16/06/2017 22:22

Me! My manager is great, trusts me to get on with my job, supports me when I need it. I had an equally amazing manager in my last job and was very lucky to get another one. I've worked for some right bellends mind so I think I've earned a couple of nice ones!

Boynamedsue · 16/06/2017 22:23

Me! My manager is great, trusts me to get on with my job, supports me when I need it. I had an equally amazing manager in my last job and was very lucky to get another one. I've worked for some right bellends mind so I think I've earned a couple of nice ones!

Boynamedsue · 16/06/2017 22:24

Sorry, double post there Blush one for each manager Grin

MimsyBorogroves · 16/06/2017 22:24

Line manager is amazing.

Her manager (who oversees us all with a beady eye) is not.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints · 16/06/2017 22:24

The 3 managers I've had have all been lovely. Until he went self employed my dh was management & he was apparently quite good I couldn't bloody work for him though

HunterHearstHelmsley · 16/06/2017 22:25

My manager is lovely.

I manage a team of cretins.

thegoodnameshadgone · 16/06/2017 22:25

Mine is lovely. Slightly older than me.
Really good at training me in bits and pieces of her role. Totally protective of her team. She's great.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.