My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

what do you do in private that you wonder if others do too

118 replies

twixter · 18/09/2020 16:22

Me..I often interview myself when in the car as if I’m on a podcast. Any others?!

OP posts:
KeepSmiling89 · 18/09/2020 16:26

Make up little stories about people when out for a walk or sitting in a cafe/restaurant or even when watching people walk past our house. Nothing nasty just thinking about where they're going, where they've been, who they're going to see, how they're feeling etc...

vanillandhoney · 18/09/2020 16:28

I talk to myself ALL the time. At home, in the car, out on dog walks. I know other people do it, but I do wonder if it's to the same extent Grin

Sarahlou252 · 18/09/2020 16:29

I borrow my daughters strong prescription glasses and use them to magnify my skin so I can squeeze all the blackheads on my nose.
Maybe I ought to namechange now!

Redcups64 · 18/09/2020 16:29

I talk to myself a lot, build stories up...with emotion thrown in 🤦🏻‍♀️ Sometimes I get carried away and say the odd word out loud 😳

Kittytheteapot · 18/09/2020 16:30

I sometimes do a little running commentary on what I am doing, as though describing my actions for a biography. Mainly silently in my head. When I think I am alone, sometimes, muttered under my breath. No idea why. It makes me sound so self important but my life is beyond mundane really.

FunTimes2020 · 18/09/2020 16:30

When I'm driving, I often pretend it's my driving test or that I am being filmed for a driving documentary. Sometimes there's audio! Blush

Othering · 18/09/2020 16:32

@twixter

Me..I often interview myself when in the car as if I’m on a podcast. Any others?!

Same. I wax lyrical like some great sage about my favourite subjects 😁 It's perfectly normal, right?
Anordinarymum · 18/09/2020 16:34

I talk in accents when driving to amuse myself. I also tell myself jokes and laugh. I do not care if I am barmy. It gets me through the day thank you

iklboo · 18/09/2020 16:34

Narrate my cooking like I'm on tv sometimes
Sing & turn my office chair round on myself like The Voice Grin

Sunnydaysstillhere · 18/09/2020 16:35

I talk to my ddogs. Discuss dearly departed ddog and how much I love them!! Often tell dcat I fucking hate his loud meowing!!

itsallaloadofshite · 18/09/2020 16:38

When I listen to music I imagine it's me singing

FusionChefGeoff · 18/09/2020 16:39

What a great thread. I think it's lovely to find such joy and entertainment in your own company Grin

Hmmm I'm trying to think of something different. But I've spent so much time on here with you lot I'm pretty sure that no matter how bonkers I think something is, there will be plenty of others who do it too!!

I squirt squirty cream straight into my mouth standing at the open fridge does that count??

Crazyone84 · 18/09/2020 16:39

I guess strangers or dogs name when walking. I tried to get the boyf involved in doing this too and he said it was pointless I would never find out the strangers names! I just enjoying guessing.

SimonJT · 18/09/2020 16:45

Dancing, I can’t walk anywhere I home I have to dance there even if there isn’t any music playing.

I almost constantly talk, I’ve had to start doing it in Urdu as when I do it in English it drives my boyfriend insane.

OrigamiPenguinArmy · 18/09/2020 16:47

I do sports commentary for mundane daily things. “Here she comes, into the kitchen ready to tackle making dinner. This plucky woman is making a heroic comeback after the burnt curry incident of last Tuesday. She selects a tool, she’s going for a garlic crusher but at the last minute swerves and opts for a knife, will this be a good choice I wonder? Over to the fridge now, she approaches cautiously, but what’s this! She’s played a blinder grabbing both an onion and the mince in one hand...” You get the idea.

Bubblebox · 18/09/2020 16:49

I have arguments with people in my head. Just to be clear, I don’t mean tha the people are in my head. I imagine my witty and cutting comebacks to people who have annoyed me in real life and make up arguments with others. Blush

FusionChefGeoff · 18/09/2020 16:50

I am so going to start sports commentary!!!

I turn most things into songs if I say something that is also a line in a song but I think lots of people do that

MyGodImSoYoung · 18/09/2020 16:52

@Bubblebox

I have arguments with people in my head. Just to be clear, I don’t mean tha the people are in my head. I imagine my witty and cutting comebacks to people who have annoyed me in real life and make up arguments with others. Blush

Thank goodness I'm not the only one!! Honestly, my arguments are absolutely amazing, the other side have no chance Grin

I also daydream to the extent that I realise I am actually mimicking the facial expressions of the people in my daydream. I have done it in front of people before; no idea how they could not have noticed!
Nestofvipers · 18/09/2020 16:54

@KeepSmiling89

Make up little stories about people when out for a walk or sitting in a cafe/restaurant or even when watching people walk past our house. Nothing nasty just thinking about where they're going, where they've been, who they're going to see, how they're feeling etc...

I do that all the time.

I also decide what people’s names are based on what name I think they look like they “should“ be called. If I then later learn their actual name, I think their actual name is wrong and am convinced they’re really called my imagined name.
BunnyLovesBananas · 18/09/2020 16:54

These are hilarious.

I talk to myself too.

I find it therapeutic.

Bubblebox · 18/09/2020 16:55

@MyGodImSoYoung Thank goodness. I thought that I was an utter weirdo. Well, maybe I still am but at least we are weirdos together.
Yes, I also do the faces and sometimes a word or phrase pops out. Blush

ReasonablyUnreasonable · 18/09/2020 16:59

@Bubblebox Haha, I'm happy to be one of two weirdos!

Yep, sometimes a word will slip out. I honest to goodness think I once hissed out loud...

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

StarlightLady · 18/09/2020 17:00

Leave my knickers off in warm weather.

BaldAndWild · 18/09/2020 17:13

I try to talk like Paulina from the house of flowers.

SoManyActivities · 18/09/2020 17:17

I talk to myself a lot whilst driving. Sometimes it's arguments, sometimes I imagine I am on telly going head to head with someone about politics and I totally roast them 😂, sometimes I pretend I'm telling a friend a funny anecdote or something!

I always hope that people who see me in the car assume I am talking to someone on the Bluetooth!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.