My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Robot Vacuum Cleaners

78 replies

dragonseal · 04/11/2023 20:49

Do you have one? Is it good? I have so many questions!

Is it noisy? Can it handle being upstairs in the day and downstairs at night? Does it fall down the stairs? How often do you empty it? Do you run it every day? Does it do the corners of the room?

OP posts:
GoodOldEmmaNess · 04/11/2023 20:54

I got one recently. I love it. It is my friend.
It is very effective. Bit like having a puppy for the first few days cos you have to tidy away a few things it might come to grief on. But that is easily sorted. Then it is so rewarding. Love emptying its little tummy after each of its exercise periods and seeing how much dirt it has found.

Basically means I do a little bit of hoovering every day and the dog hair is tamed.

GoodOldEmmaNess · 04/11/2023 20:57

Doesn't fall downstairs. I sat with it the first time it did the top of the stairs, ready to leap in and save it, but it was very brave and sensible.

Not too noisy at all, though you wouldn't want it on while you were watching telly in the same room. Does corners ok. Mine has a speial 'edge mode' where it follows the outermost perimeter of the room.

TheLightSideOfTheMoon · 04/11/2023 20:59

I had an Eufy. His name was Algernon.

He couldn’t do corners or edges.

Curtains panicked him and he’d run away from them but had no issue mounting people’s feet.

Rugs also panicked him.

He found cables delicious and couldn’t resist gobbling them up.

Looking back, I think he had additional needs. He died from a broken connector on his charging dock.

May he rest in peace.

I bought a Henry shortly afterwards.

dragonseal · 04/11/2023 21:00

GoodOldEmmaNess · 04/11/2023 20:57

Doesn't fall downstairs. I sat with it the first time it did the top of the stairs, ready to leap in and save it, but it was very brave and sensible.

Not too noisy at all, though you wouldn't want it on while you were watching telly in the same room. Does corners ok. Mine has a speial 'edge mode' where it follows the outermost perimeter of the room.

Thank you i was thinking of running it upstairs in the day and downstairs at night.

OP posts:
Oasis1975 · 04/11/2023 21:04

I actually love mine ……he is named and now fully part of the family!
Going strong after 4 years of daily use, so worth the money, best household appliance ever

GoodOldEmmaNess · 04/11/2023 21:04

Mine only does about an hour or so at a time then toddles off to eat electricity for its pudding. So you wouldn't really have a daytime-nighttime thing. One session is enough to thorougly clean living room, hall and kitchen

Torganer · 04/11/2023 21:05

It’s amazing! I love ours. I put it on when I’m in a meeting and feel like I’m winning at life - I can excel at my job and keep the house clean! Just need to get an 80s power suit 😂. Ours has a mop function too!

ZeroFucksGivenToday · 04/11/2023 21:07

Terence, my eufy is the cheapest one there is. He's bloody fab. I trundle him around on max power until he needs a recharge.
he did run over the cats tail
once which earned him a swipe!

Bringonthesunforthewashing · 04/11/2023 21:07

You know when you have a good vac, and the pile on the carpet is sort of lifted, does it do that?..

coldcallerbaiter · 04/11/2023 21:07

it Is the best gadget I ever bought

ConspiciouslyDifferent · 04/11/2023 21:07

I have had two roombas for about 12 years and they are great. It's much easier hoovering because I just have to do the work to tidy the floor and then the roomba takes care of the rest. I worried that they would break but they never have and are still going strong. I have replaced the batteries twice I think.

I still have a normal hoover too, because roombas are no good at big mess, like if you accidentally empty a whole bag of rice on the floor.

But for regular hoovering of a bedroom floor they are top notch. Especially good for under beds and inaccessible places.

They are quite good with toddlers too as the children find them endlessly entertaining, like having a pet.

Manadou · 04/11/2023 21:09

I heard of someone who was worried their cat wouldn't like a robot vac, but after initial nervousness the cat started riding around on it

Aquamarine1029 · 04/11/2023 21:09

I adore my eufy. Bertha is four years old and has helped save my sanity. We have three cats, all hardwood floors with various rugs, and I was hoovering every day because I can't abide cat hair showing on my floors. Bertha grumbles around and keeps the fur at bay.

Whenever Bertha meets her demise I will be replacing her straight away.

Aquamarine1029 · 04/11/2023 21:10

Especially good for under beds

YES. I should have mentioned this.

dragonseal · 04/11/2023 21:11

Thank you all so much. Yes the ones with the mopping function look useful too. How often do you have to run/ empty their tummies?

OP posts:
GoodOldEmmaNess · 04/11/2023 21:11

Don't really know why no one has marketed a robovac-tamagotchi crossover because they are so lovable. The top surface could be a screen with a little creature that could grow and evolve with a proper diet of dirt and a nice routine - or get hungry and grumpy if unexercised.

Mine is called beetle. He gets on very well with my dog.

GoodOldEmmaNess · 04/11/2023 21:14

Tummy is meant to be emptied after every session. But it is a very convenient process. Brushes, filters, etc need cleaning everycouple of weeks, but they are well designed and easy to maintain. I was a bit alarmed by how frequrntly the manufactuerer recommends replacing brushes and filters, but I haven't had mine long enough to know how vital this really is.

JetBlackSteed · 04/11/2023 21:18

I have a roomba, he is great. He is scheduled to run round at 9am every day, and to the poster who asked, yes he lifts the pile back up on the rugs. I dont empty his bin as often as i should, but he shouts at me if it needs emptied.

Starbeeees · 04/11/2023 21:26

I actually really dislike the one we have and regret it! It doesn’t do near a good enough job as a corded hoover.

HerculesMulligan · 04/11/2023 21:29

Our Janet is an important part of the family, but can be quite annoying. She really likes to wander into the corner under the sofa and go round and round in an increasing tizz until she gives up and sends a distress call to my mobile, often when I'm in a meeting. I wait for DH to come home and rescue her.

regularmumnotacoolmum · 04/11/2023 21:35

We have a eufy pro x9 and I love it. It does the majority of the floor space but of course doesn't do corners or stairs. It mops the kitchen for me too. Overall it reduces the amount of time our cleaners and I spend doing these things so I'm really happy with it.

Sahara123 · 04/11/2023 21:35

I had one, can’t remember the make, I hated it. It used to wander round aimlessly wherever it pleased and missed most of the floor.!It got stuck under the sofa, confused round table and chair legs, and my cats were terrified of it . It didn’t last very long !!

whensmynexthol1day · 04/11/2023 21:38

Do they bang into/ scrape along the edges of furniture? We've just had a beautiful painted kitchen put in but it won't tolerate anything banging/ scraping?

Noseyoldcow · 04/11/2023 21:41

"Do they bang into/ scrape along the edges of furniture? We've just had a beautiful painted kitchen put in but it won't tolerate anything banging/ scraping?"
Mine has marked a furniture leg or two, but nothing I haven't been able to touch up. I'm reminded of my son in his baby walker (do they still have those these days?) as he used to hurtle around the house and bash into furniture and skirtings and mark them, until I pipe lagged his walker.

Floopdifloo · 04/11/2023 21:44

If you have the type that mops, how does that work with rugs? Do you have to lift all the rugs off the floor for it?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.