Talk

Advanced search

Ridiculous things you've only recently realised you've been wrong about your entire life

(1001 Posts)
Seasidedolly Sat 21-Nov-15 17:51:22

I genuinely thought if you pulled the reverse cord on ceiling fans, it would circulate warm air.

My friend thought the yellow average speed cameras on motorways were there to look for missing children.

I had another recent revelation but I can't remember it now hmm

Cheesymonster Sat 21-Nov-15 17:54:50

I used to think reindeer were fictional blush

AnimalsAreMyBestFriends Sat 21-Nov-15 17:56:13

I thought Morocco was in South America blush

My 12 year old told me the truth. I will NEVER be allowed to forget it

mowglik Sat 21-Nov-15 17:58:11

grin the speed camera one!

Sparklingbrook Sat 21-Nov-15 18:01:46

Not my entire life but I did confess on s thread earlier that I thought AW15 was a London postcode.

And for a while I thought 'on aggregate' with regard to football was the surface they played on. Like AstroTurf or something. blush

bonzo77 Sat 21-Nov-15 18:03:20

I thought a mole was about the size of a wild rabbit. In fact also exactly the same size as a frog and a rat. And only a little smaller than a badger or horse. The Wind in the willows has much to answer for.

CigarsofthePharoahs Sat 21-Nov-15 18:04:04

That Arkansas and Arkansaw are in fact, the same place. I had no idea how you were supposed to pronounce it.

Movingonmymind Sat 21-Nov-15 18:05:50

My dfriend, despite a) being in her 40s and b) claiming to be "political" and therefore saying she knew all about our 1st past the post voting system as opposed to PR, actually thought she was voting directly for Milband, Cameron or Clegg not the selected candidates for her constituency. Poor love. I despair! And sadly she's not alone!

RNBrie Sat 21-Nov-15 18:06:16

My sister told me recently that it's championSHip not championCHip. She's still sending me mocking texts weeks later. blush

Titsalinabumsquash Sat 21-Nov-15 18:13:29

Are moles not tiny then???
shockshockshock

Movingonmymind Sat 21-Nov-15 18:16:12

Oh and I used to think 40-40 in tennis was "juice" 😳

Mintyy Sat 21-Nov-15 18:16:16

Cheesymonster - my two children (14 and 12) confessed that they thought reindeer were fictional, like unicorns, too. But this was when they were much younger!

tectonicplates Sat 21-Nov-15 18:19:25

I only recently found out that "Sing" was written for Sesame Street and the Carpenters version was a cover version.

LavaCat Sat 21-Nov-15 18:19:58

I didn't know narwhals were real until a couple of years ago.

I thought tuna were tiny for years. I think I got them confused with sardines.

Cookingongas Sat 21-Nov-15 18:19:54

Wolves. The bastards are REAL shock who knew? They - like fairies, unicorns, dragons are on fleeces, in stories with goblins, witches and giants- how did they come to find themselves so entrenched with fairy tale creatures when they do in fact exist?!?

BlackeyedPetitsPois Sat 21-Nov-15 18:22:59

Snap! cigars. I was the same with Arkansas and Arkansaw blush

EverybodyHatesATourist Sat 21-Nov-15 18:23:33

Two of my friends thought unicorns were real

OvO Sat 21-Nov-15 18:24:50

Worm, the ones that come out your bum. I thought they wiggled out of your bum cheeks, dozens at a time. blush. I will never admit how old I was until I realised.

PotteringAlong Sat 21-Nov-15 18:26:02

Apparently my dad didn't write all the Beatles songs. He told me he did, he knew all the words, it seemed to make sense. I was older than strictly necessary when I realised it was bollocks.

citybushisland Sat 21-Nov-15 18:27:00

Remember the tv show 'The Good Life'? They lived in Surbiton, which I thought for years was a made up name, playing on suburbs... In my defense I spent most of my childhood living abroad, but still, I still blush when i remember my first boss telling me where she lived, and my response...

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SillyBub Sat 21-Nov-15 18:29:37

Derr, of course Morocco is in Africa hmm because I've never repeatedly thought that Cambodia is in Africa and not Asia

PoorFannyRobin Sat 21-Nov-15 18:32:30

What? Wait! Moles ARE tiny -- well, at least very small; I've been presented with several lately, unfortunately. But I didn't know, until I read it on mumsnet, that weasels are really tiny. I always assumed they were the size of rabbits, for some reason.

Bladders73 Sat 21-Nov-15 18:33:24

Until I was 20 and visited the sealife centre, I thought sea horses were fictional...

BaronessSamedi Sat 21-Nov-15 18:34:39

until i was 12 or 13 i thought cambodia was in africa.
this was after the 1970s khmer rouge genocide.
i remember being astounded when i found out cambodia is in fact in SE Asia.
have been there since and it is well worth a visit.

This thread is not accepting new messages.