Talk

Advanced search

Applying for Uni 2019 Part 6: exams, leaving school/college (the end of an era), a long summer holiday and Results Day on the horizon

(996 Posts)
NewModelArmyMayhem18 Mon 20-May-19 16:23:31

Just when exam season gets fully underway our previous thread has almost filled up. Everyone welcome wink.

BringOnTheScience Mon 20-May-19 17:23:09

Checking in to the new thread...

3 Chemistry papers over 2 days this week, then DC1 is finished shock

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Mon 20-May-19 17:29:58

BringOnTheScience those IB exams are certainly at a fast and furious pace. What's your DC1 going to do for the rest of the summer?

Piggywaspushed Mon 20-May-19 17:32:19

Thanks newmodel. In a holding pattern here til Friday. No evidence of much revision going on, but who knows?

Laniakea Mon 20-May-19 17:45:34

OCR physics B (not to be confused with A which was fine by all accounts) ... disappointing (a few tears) but not a complete disaster. Consensus (school, twitter, TSR) is that it was a nasty paper - worse than last year's & the specimens ... dd was hoping for an A, she'd be happy with a B (last year it was 50% for a B). Paper 2 on Friday. Not an ideal start!

juicy0 Mon 20-May-19 17:48:16

Checking in on new thread. It's been a stressful day here perhaps because study leave has started and reality of revision without the day to day routine and distractions of school has really kicked in?

bigTillyMint Mon 20-May-19 17:51:41

First exam done!

How did yours find Economics Shimy and Mines?

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Mon 20-May-19 17:58:52

DS is in a serious panic now that his first exam is less than 24 hours away...

Oh dear Laniakea your poor DD. On a positive note.

Juicy0 I think it's difficult for the young people to maintain momentum over five weeks and particularly without the structure of the school day to keep them in check. DS has definitely been sleeping in later (by about two hours) than he normally would.

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Mon 20-May-19 18:06:37

Oops on a positve note...I was going to say that harder papers will have significantly lower grade boundaries. Sometimes people do better than expected in harder papers than the easier ones too. Here's hoping.

Piggy hopefully your DS is just revising secretly...or maybe with the sports TV coverage playing in the background...

Decorhate Mon 20-May-19 18:08:34

Sorry to hear that Laniakea. Ds was doing AQA physics & that seemed to go ok

Piggywaspushed Mon 20-May-19 18:20:08

Have we all seen the thread about the poor DC and the magical changing clock? She posted on AIBU so is getting a drubbing. I am sure we'd be much more sympathetic and offer gin

Piggywaspushed Mon 20-May-19 18:20:46

I think it more likely Football Manager is running in the foreground....

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Mon 20-May-19 18:26:03

Oh, Piggy that sounds like my DS during his GCSEs...

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Mon 20-May-19 18:31:25

It's bibbitybobbityyhat's DD. What an awful experience for her.

Danglingmod Mon 20-May-19 18:35:14

Ds has been working really hard but sensibly. Pretty calm. Finished off everything he wanted to do ready for History paper 1 tomorrow (AQA) so just some re-reading to do tonight/tomorrow then a quick turn around for English on Thursday.

justasking111 Mon 20-May-19 18:38:47

picked DS up from school, he is away with the fairies in a world of his own, had to repeat twice what I had asked him. Unfortunately his next exam is over two weeks away and his last exam June 17th, so will have to put up with this for a while. Today lessons were full on revision or finishing up the artwork.

His dad has a broken ankle and now some chest infection so is no help at all.

justasking111 Mon 20-May-19 18:41:17

Oh and my diet is out the window am just cooking meals DS will enjoy,

errorofjudgement Mon 20-May-19 18:46:30

@Danglingmod DD has the same exams this week, I think she’s at the point where she just need them to start.

@Laniakea as others have said usually difficult papers mean lower boundaries so hopefully your DD will be ok

@ifonly4 waving back grin hope your DD is coping well

And to everyone else, god luck guys, hoping all our DC do themselves proud and get the grades they deserve.

Piggywaspushed Mon 20-May-19 18:50:04

I told bibbity to come here for sympathy.we are nice.

Shimy Mon 20-May-19 18:50:58

Wow! i didnt know there was anew thread grin i nearly got left behind. Thanks NewModel.

DS said Econs went well, he was pleased he answered every question in time.....and that was ithmm.

Shimy Mon 20-May-19 19:02:35

Lani Sorry to hear about Physics. We have to continue to keep their spirits up so it doesn't affect all their other papers and I agree with New that grade boundaries will always be relative so an A could still be well within sight.

Piggy i havent seen the thread you mentioned. Will go and have a nose round, poor bibbity

AQA Econs paper 2 on Thursday.

Its the Maths paper that i'm really going to be shitting myself (pardon the language), that's not till mid June thankfully.

eddiestanleys Mon 20-May-19 19:08:16

DS sat psychology today, said it was fine 👍🏻

cardy1969 Mon 20-May-19 19:13:39

Psychology was 'OK', which in my interpretation is pretty good. No awful questions and even the maths element was ok. In my world this is a positive start!

Hope others went well. I know of a few who did physics whom said it wasn't too awful.

Laniakea Mon 20-May-19 19:22:58

That’s what I’ve said to her re the boundaries (though last year a B was 50% not sure how much lower they can go!) OCR A was so much easier that they are joking about a C being over 90! B is always harder & lower but never as extreme as this.

... but ... she didn’t fall apart & she wrote something for every question. Two more papers, she needs to hold her nerve smile

Psychology was nice apparently - they were all cheerful when they can out!

bigTillyMint Mon 20-May-19 19:50:50

Another one doing History tomorrow - I came home to him telling DH all about America - is that the same one as others?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »