Talk

Advanced search

We can't answer this thread without revealing classified information. Trumpery trumped.

(986 Posts)
PerkingFaintly Tue 09-May-17 08:46:12

New thread, and here's the link to yesterday's hearing again.

Full transcript: Sally Yates and James Clapper testify on Russian election interference
www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/05/08/full-transcript-sally-yates-and-james-clapper-testify-on-russian-election-interference/?utm_term=.8b4eaf12c960

PerkingFaintly Tue 09-May-17 08:47:24

Previous thread:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2917449-100-days-in-congrats-to-us-all-for-keeping-sane-on-the-Trump-train?pg=1

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 09-May-17 08:51:37

thanks Perking.

Trump Muslim ban removed from website. BBC link

illegitimateMortificadospawn Tue 09-May-17 08:56:28

<Plants whiteboard with big question for later>

illegitimateMortificadospawn Tue 09-May-17 08:56:56

QuestionS, ffs! I have lots.

Stuffofawesome Tue 09-May-17 08:59:24

not recusing myself from this one

catgirl1976 Tue 09-May-17 09:02:18

Classified place mark upon which I cannot comment.

blueskyinmarch Tue 09-May-17 09:07:09

This placemark is not classified therefore cannot be leaked.

CaveMum Tue 09-May-17 09:23:10

Placemarking. Thanks Perking

CaveMum Tue 09-May-17 09:26:11

Angry Spice's presser from yesterday makes interesting reading. He more or less admits that they didn't bother to vet Flynn. Doh!

www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/05/08/daily-press-briefing-press-secretary-sean-spicer-45

saffronwblue Tue 09-May-17 09:39:07

Poor angry spice has a horrible job.

Lweji Tue 09-May-17 09:40:06

Placing a big tapp. Don't tell anyone.

PerkingFaintly Tue 09-May-17 09:53:28

From Clapper's opening comments in yesterday's hearing:
The Intelligence Community Assessment concluded first that President Putin directed and influenced campaign to erode the faith and confidence of the American people in our presidential election process. Second, that he did so to demean Secretary Clinton, and third, that he sought to advantage Mr. Trump.

Orlantina Tue 09-May-17 10:03:58

I believe Trump mentioned a Muslim ban in his campaign speeches!!!

FantasticButtocks Tue 09-May-17 10:31:45

Thanks for new thread! brewcake this is going to be good grin

PerkingFaintly Tue 09-May-17 10:41:20

[Extract from yesterday. I've italicised where old testimony is being repeated, to make this easier to follow.]

GRAHAM:... General Clapper, on March 5, 2017, you said the following to a question. Here's the question.

Does intelligence exist that can definitely answer the following question, whether there were improper contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian officials? You said we did not include any evidence in our report.

And I say our, that's the NSA, the FBI, the CIA, with my office, the Director of National Intelligence, that had anything — that had any reflection of collusion between members of the Trump campaign and the Russians. There was no evidence of that included in our report.

Chuck Todd (ph) then asked, I understand that, but does it exist? You say no, not to my knowledge. Is that still accurate?

CLAPPER: It is.

GRAHAM: Ms. Yates, do you have any evidence — are you aware of any evidence that would suggest that in the 2016 campaign anybody in the Trump campaign colluded — colluded with the Russian government intelligence services in improper fashion?

YATES: And Senator, my answer to that question would require me to reveal classified information. And so, I — I can't answer that.

GRAHAM: Well, I don't get that because he just said he issued the report. And he said he doesn't know of any. So, what would you know that's not in the report?

(CROSSTALK)

CLAPPER: Are you asking me, or …

GRAHAM: No, her.

CLAPPER: Oh.

YATES: Well, I think that Director Clapper also said that he was unaware of the FBI counter intelligence investigations.
GRAHAM: I just want the country to know that whatever they're doing on the counterintelligence side, Mr. Clapper didn't know about it, didn't make it in the report and we'll see what comes from it.

PerkingFaintly Tue 09-May-17 10:45:51

So that's the background to this:

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump** 1h1 hour ago
Director Clapper reiterated what everybody, including the fake media already knows- there is "no evidence" of collusion w/ Russia and Trump.

Orlantina Tue 09-May-17 10:54:43

So Director Clapper is unaware of any evidence. Because he is not aware of everything that's going on?

TheClaws Tue 09-May-17 11:17:43

Thanks for the new thread, Perking!

TheClaws Tue 09-May-17 11:19:30

My concern is that he'll decide now is the ideal time to aim a missile at someone.

PerkingFaintly Tue 09-May-17 11:20:59

There was a discussion of why Clapper might be unaware of any (hypothetical) evidence, in that same tranche - where I've put ellipses.

I left it out, as a digression which would have made the quote cumbersomely long, but it's worth reading.

Yates is also careful to say in that section:
"I'd like to make clear, that just because I say I can't answer it, you should not draw from that an assumption that that means that the answer is yes."

Natsku Tue 09-May-17 11:22:01

Thanks for the new thread. I have so much reading to catch up on as I went to bed early last night, thanks for the transcript link.

PerkingFaintly Tue 09-May-17 11:25:29

Sorry, I think I should have briefly indicated the content of the omitted bit, rather than just put ellipses.

I don't want to mislead, even though sometimes selective quoting is necessary just for reasons of length.

MrsT2007 Tue 09-May-17 11:26:03

Put it this way, I don't want to be placemark compromised by the Russians

lionheart Tue 09-May-17 12:00:51

I wonder how many new threads before Trump topples?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now