or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

The Brand New Exercise Buddie Thread

63 replies

3andnomore · 08/09/2008 10:47

Just starting us off

For all those that either already exercise regularly or that want to embark on an exercise regime....this thread is for you

OP posts:
SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore · 08/09/2008 10:56

ill join in! are we just doing what we want or all aiming for a specific amount of time?

oh and you lucky lot will have a trainee fitness instructor in your midst as i start my course on wednesday evening! so ill be able to give lots of tips

toadette · 08/09/2008 11:04

Hi, I'm in! Thanks 3anm

Will be running and swimming a few times a week. Also hope to use wii fit or exercise DVD a few times a week as well.

Ran a 10k yesterday so taking today off.

3andnomore · 08/09/2008 11:11

SheSell...we are just doing what we want, really, and I suppsoe ask tips, support eachother, etc...
How cool that you are becoming a Fitness Instructor
Had been thinking about that in the past...but will start an Occupational Therapy Degree instead....I start in a few weeks time...[scared Emoticon]

Well done on running 10K....like I said on SW thread...I could not imagine running that far

Well...my plan (and this time I am on the right thread, I hope) is to do 3x a week Weight Training and 3x a week Cardio (DVD's...like Nell McAndrews, Taebo...etc...)

OP posts:
3andnomore · 08/09/2008 11:11

Oh the 10K bit was to toadette, obviously

OP posts:
SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore · 08/09/2008 11:14

okay well i aim to do my walking and at least 20 mins of either my stepper, bike or wii fit on alternating days so that i dont get bored.

i have no idea what the course is going to be like yet 3andnomore i get bored being at home all the time so do evening courses and this was the only one that appealed to me this year. it will qualify me to work in a gym at the end of it.

3andnomore · 08/09/2008 11:38

that is brill I am sure you will enjoy it!

OP posts:
JHKE · 08/09/2008 11:43

Thanks 3andnomore...

Well I will be doing some walking, not sure how much of it will be valid walking at a 3 year old pace.. Dropping of and picking up ds at school and dd at playgroup few times should help.

I am planning on getting the kids on their bikes more so I am able to walk faster...At the moment ds loses interest quick and dd can't ride a bike, but is 3 in October and has asked for one..

So at the moment I will get 1 hour a day ( 5 times a week) at toddler pace and 20 mins brisk 3 times a week

I will try and add on other walks - like today I will take ds to park while dd at playgroup this afternoon.

spokette · 08/09/2008 13:52

Just seen this. I'm planning to do some running and exercise to DVDs this week so I'll join if you don't mind.

JHKE · 08/09/2008 16:22

So today - I have walked 30 mins at slow pace, and an hour at moderate pace.

Tommorrow I am doing housework so I will do that to some loud fast music and that should get me moving.

ChirpyGirl · 08/09/2008 20:12

OOh, hello! I just searched for exerceise ideas and found this..
I am in desperate search of cheap (read free) exercise. I am going out tomorrow with some treat money to buy a dvd and am thinking of getting an exercise bike but need a small cheap one so haven't found one yet.
Can't run like I used to as I have no-one to sit with DD's unless I run at night, which round here is not going to heppen
Also going for a 'brisk walk' does not happen with a 2.7 yr old who won't go in the buggy but likes to examine everything!
I do get a 'toddler speed' walk in 3 or 4 times a week for about half an hour, but I don't even get breathnless (unless she legs it) so it can't be doing much.

Shall be back tomorrow to let you know how I do and get inspired.

3andnomore · 08/09/2008 20:37

Hello all, and everyone welcome

Spokette, which exercise DVD's do you do?

ChirpyGirl...and which ones are you thinking of buying?
As for Exercise bike...try on Freecycle...you mihgt be lucky...always worth a try I think!

JHKE, Housework is actually really good exercise...especially if you try to do it backsaving...i.e. go down in squats instead of bending down and stuff...good music really does help when cleaning, doesn't it

As I did weights this morning, I will be doing a Dvd tomorrow morning...probably will be Nell McAndrew...

OP posts:
3andnomore · 09/09/2008 10:23

Did Nell McAndrews Maximum Impact DVD (whiles trying not to step on our brandnew Babykitten,lol) and am proud to say that I did all the squats, etc...wohoo

How is everyone else getting on?

OP posts:
JHKE · 09/09/2008 10:45

Well done 3andnomore, I have started the housework and sat down for a break,.. proberbly a bad move...Cos now I need to motivate myself to get up again ... Still need to tidy downstairs and hoover everywhere.. and wash floors then I will call it quits.. and do some baking this afternoon.

Freckle · 09/09/2008 11:00

Can I join in? I'm just in the process of visiting one of our local gyms with a view to joining. I have a variety of exercise equipment at home, but I just never seem to get round to using it, so thought, if I pay to use a gym, I'll actually do it to save wasting the money. Logical??

Am doing a tour on Friday with a view to starting properly on Monday or Tuesday next week.

I'll confess up front that I am very unfit and my weight has shot up over the last 3 years and consequently so has my blood pressure. So I need to exercise for vital health reasons as well as the normal fitness/weight reasons.

3andnomore · 09/09/2008 11:11

jhke...I should be doing housework....
oh, only did the warm up/intervaltraining of the dvd and my own cool down...still a good 50 minutes...

Freckle, good luck with the gym...I would love to go to a gym...but at the moment it just isn't feasable

OP posts:
toadette · 09/09/2008 11:29

Well done, 3anm, those squats in the Nell DVD are killers!!!

My exercise this morning is the housework too, JHKE. Have loads to do so that should burn off a few cals. Hoping to head out for a run tonight.

ChirpyGirl · 09/09/2008 19:23

Well, DH needed the car today so I walked to Aldi with DD's, took an hour but is only a mile or so there and back as for the first time ever (typical) dd1 walked the whole way, normally I can get her on teh back of the buggy for a bit so I can walk faster. Am thinking of investing in a buggy board so we can walk further...

Haven't decided which Dvd to get yet, was going to see what the choices are and see if I get lucky!I do want one with no sleb's if possible and that has a 'quick workout' option.
I do have a billy thingy tae bo video, but I haven't had anything to play it on for months

Def not running now, spoke to a neighbour earlier and a woman was attacked 2 streets away at the weekend, and the attackers ran off in the direction of my house, so I will be staying in!

3andnomore · 10/09/2008 18:56

chirpy, scary about having to worry about being attacked....

Must ssay, whiles there are a fair few crappy celeb ones , there are some good ones!

OP posts:
ChirpyGirl · 10/09/2008 20:08

Well I bought Billy Blanks Bootcamp (ooer) with 3 dvd's and some 'Billy Bands' whatever the hell they are)

Shall have a look at it tomorrow as have had a tiring day (excuses, excuses!)

3andnomore · 10/09/2008 20:21

The Bootcamp seems to be a good set....
once I get bored with what I have I think I will get that...that and the new Nell McAndrews one

OP posts:
JHKE · 11/09/2008 18:56

Well I didn't do much yesterday - about a hours walk in total at 3 year old speed..
Today - was in all day.. but did a little housework.
Next week will be better as ds starts school so will be out walking even if its at a slow pace everyday.. every little helps right.

Hope everyone else is doing OK

ChirpyGirl · 11/09/2008 19:29

JHKE, but an hours walk is still better than nowt! And think of today as your rest day...even athletes have them...
Am very pleased today, bought a Litaf hitchhiker thingy, the buggy board where they can sit down, and walked down the hill to the opticians and back up again with DD1 sitting down for most of the way so I could walk at sensible speed.
Okay, it's not exactly far, (it started raining!) BUT I was out of breath when I got home so that can only be good?

Came on today so am considering whetehr BIlly will make me feel better or want to smash teh telly....is a close call, will let you know

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

FairLadyRantALot · 11/09/2008 21:39

I didn't do well neither...was a bit, erm, hungover...ooops....could not be bothered doing exercise...but hohum...will do better tomorrow 1

Smalline · 11/09/2008 22:05

Hi Ladies can I join you?

I have just done an hours aerobics class. I love exercising, and try to fit in 4-5 sessions a week, most of which are done at home, I have a lovely selection of videos/dvds, Karen Voight is my favourite fitness instructor, I also have Davina McCall's Power of 3, 1 of Nell McAndrew's can't remember which one.

I'm currently waiting for delivery of Billy Blanks Taebo dvd - everybody get ripped, which I ordered from ebay . Tomorrow I'm going to try a Salsacise class at the local gym, haven't done that before.

FairLadyRantALot · 11/09/2008 22:08

all welcome small

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.