Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Join Mumsnet's vegan community and discuss everything related to the vegan diet.

What's your fave milk alternative?

Jenxna · 15/02/2021 19:59

I want to move away from cows milk but not sure where to start, there are so many options! I usually have cereal or porridge a couple of times a week, not a big coffee drinker but I do like some milk when I have a cup. What's your favourite milk alternative in terms of flavour/consistency?

OP's posts:
Please
or

EduCated · 15/02/2021 20:03

Oatly Barista for drinks, Oatly organic for cereal.

Please
or

Sendmetobarbados · 16/02/2021 11:09

Oatly oat milk for me. I find soy milk gives me digestive issues, and the flavour of almond/coconut can sometimes overwhelm.

Please
or

jldy2020 · 16/02/2021 11:11

Another vote for Oatly Barista!

Please
or

Iektrikblankit · 16/02/2021 11:14

I like unsweetened almond milkshake but as you're newly switching I'd suggest getting a slightly sweetened one as cow's milk is very sweet so you might find that one with zero sugars tastes like cardboard to you
Oat milk and cashew milk are both very nice - some brands are better than others, and some supermarket own brands are actually perfectly nice and a cheaper than Alpro/Oatly. Coconut drink is really tasty but obviously quite distinct - same goes for hazelnut.
I hope you find one you like Smile

Please
or

Henneypenny7 · 16/02/2021 11:15

Almond for coffe!

Please
or

eurochick · 16/02/2021 11:22

Moma Barista is the best I have found yet for drinks.

I also like hazelnut milk in porridge.

Please
or

Campions · 16/02/2021 11:23

I used to drink Oatly, but the more I read about them, the less inclined I am to give them any money. They are an ethical disaster.

Please
or

joystir59 · 16/02/2021 11:26

Love oat milk, coconut milk is ok, not keen on the others. But oat milk is too expensive for me and I've reverted to dairy. I can't tolerate soy milk

Please
or

Magissa · 16/02/2021 11:30

Plenish Cashew is my favourite in tea. Goes well with cereal too. I prefer Innocent hazelnut in coffee though.

Please
or

BrioLover · 16/02/2021 11:31

Like Oatly Barista best for cereal, tea and coffee but am concerned about them as a company so looking for an alternative. Almond Breeze milk I like the best for porridge and hazelnut milk for hot chocolate.

Please
or

StuntCroissant · 16/02/2021 11:32

@Campions try Oato. It's just as good as Oatly and is UK-produced and delivered by the milkman in glass bottles. 👍🏼

Please
or

StuntCroissant · 16/02/2021 11:33

Please
or

Strokethefurrywall · 16/02/2021 11:37

Planet Oat extra creamy is great for tea, otherwise soy milk. I have oat, almond and soy in my fridge although I'm moving away from almond.

Please
or

Campions · 16/02/2021 11:56

[quote StuntCroissant]@Campions try Oato. It's just as good as Oatly and is UK-produced and delivered by the milkman in glass bottles. 👍🏼[/quote]
Thank you, will try that, I really wouldn't give Oatly another penny. Their 'how woke are your parents' campaign was the final straw, after the Trump donor/deforestation stuff.

Please
or

ToadsThePeanutButterSnob · 16/02/2021 12:08

Oat milk.

Coconut milk is nice in porridge and smoothies as well.

Please
or

MrsPernicious · 16/02/2021 12:12

Oat and hemp milk www.goodhemp.com/our-products/oat-hemp-milk

Oat and pea is also good but you have to mix your own.

Please
or

StuntCroissant · 16/02/2021 13:26

@Campions that was the nail in the coffin for me too. We haven't looked back and now don't have to go to the recycling centre with dozens of Tetra Paks.

Please
or

greenemerald · 16/02/2021 13:28

Oatley barista

Please
or

Sendmetobarbados · 16/02/2021 20:27

Oh gosh, I had no idea about the ethical problems with Oatley...

Please
or

Luckyelephant1 · 16/02/2021 20:38

I love oat milk, usually buy the unbranded supermarket versions which all taste the same and usually much cheaper than Alpro or Oatly.

Soya tastes disgusting IMO. Coconut and almond tend to change the flavour of coffee too much. Hazelnut milk is amazing but it's almost like a milkshake in itself, good to drink as it is or in hot chocolate.

Please
or

silentpool · 16/02/2021 20:43

BonSoy is the best tasting soy milk. I like hazelnut or cashew milk otherwise.

Please
or

crackofdoom · 16/02/2021 20:50

I didn't know about the doubts cast on Oatly either....here's a nice balanced article I've just found on the subject:
www.ethicalconsumer.org/food-drink/should-we-boycott-oatly

Minor Figures oat milk is as good as Oatly Barista, and froths the same way though.

Hazelnut milk is divine in hot chocolate.

Please
or

Campions · 16/02/2021 22:36

Yes, I've read that article, it is pretty balanced isn't it. And thanks for the recommendations.

I don't like brands bending over backwards trying to align themselves with young people whilst sneering at their parents - my generation. They are just a milk replacement product, and need to get back into their box (tetrapak?), sort out their ethical issues and stop forcing their gender ideology on consumers.

Please
or

ResIpsaLoquiturInterAlia · 16/02/2021 22:40

Pistachio milk!

Please
or

RedPandaMama · 16/02/2021 22:43

I'm boring but unsweetened soya for me - a carton is only about 60p from aldi.
Oat milk is too oat tasting for me, tastes like it's been on cereal before it's gone into my tea or coffee. Almond is watery, as is coconut. Pea milk is very weird.
I would say get all of them to try. I'm a die hard soya fan. DP likes coconut best.

Cashew milk is lovely and creamy for making hot chocolates or similar!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.