Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Harry & Meghan - are they leaders? Who are they leading?

Snog · 29/07/2022 09:50

H&M seem to be referred to as "world leaders" a lot...which I find puzzling as are they actually leaders? And if so leaders of who?

Are they leading UK citizens due to being related to the Queen?

And does that stretch to them being leaders for the whole world?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ABugsLyfe · 29/07/2022 09:53

What's the point of your post? You really want people to start discussing Harry and Megan? For what?

Please
or

Readinginthesun · 29/07/2022 10:30

Good question and I look forward to the answers because I have no idea !

@ABugsLyfe same as any post - to start a discussion

Please
or

pilates · 29/07/2022 10:39

Of course they aren’t world leaders.

They are an embarrassment.

Please
or

EdithWeston · 29/07/2022 10:45

I don't think they are leaders because they don't seem to lead anything other than Archewell, which has had a very unlucky start (pandemic) and has yet to really do much. I know it supports a few external projects, but I still don't get a sense of achievement about it and what it actually does. But still early days.

I think if can take up to a decade to have a decent track record of actual achievements.

Please
or

3amAndImStillAwake · 29/07/2022 10:47

I'm not sure I've ever heard them described that way. Who is calling them that?

Please
or

coodawoodashooda · 29/07/2022 10:52

I really think he looks so deeply unhappy.

Please
or

Gilmorehill · 29/07/2022 10:58

Who on earth them world leaders?!

Please
or

JingsMahBucket · 29/07/2022 11:05

And we’re off to the races! H & M bashing races, that is.

Please
or

MaulPerton · 29/07/2022 12:04

JingsMahBucket · 29/07/2022 11:05

And we’re off to the races! H & M bashing races, that is.

It's a reasonable question. H is still referred to as a Counsellor of State in documentation, a leadership role, and has just been referenced as one of the foreign leaders meddling in US politics by Justice Samuel Alito. Maybe people are worried?

Please
or

Roussette · 29/07/2022 12:48

Nowhere have I seen them as referred to as that. Not one place.

Cue hundreds of posts telling us all how awful they are because you've OD'd on the DMail.

To a PP, I think he looks happy and free and not the slightest bit unhappy at all

Please
or

Antarcticant · 29/07/2022 12:53

Do you have a link/source where they are called world leaders?

Please
or

Roussette · 29/07/2022 13:07

and has just been referenced as one of the foreign leaders meddling in US politics by Justice Samuel Alito

Ahhh... Justice Alito, the extreme religious rightwing SC judge who has rolled back womens rights in the US to the 1950's? That one?
Well done Harry.
He also had a pop at Boris Johnson, Trudeau and Macron for criticising repealing Roe V Wade so he's amongst distinguished company.

Please
or

ohfook · 29/07/2022 13:08

Literally nowhere refers to them as that ever because they aren't and don't claim to be.

Please
or

MaulPerton · 29/07/2022 13:31

Roussette · 29/07/2022 13:07

and has just been referenced as one of the foreign leaders meddling in US politics by Justice Samuel Alito

Ahhh... Justice Alito, the extreme religious rightwing SC judge who has rolled back womens rights in the US to the 1950's? That one?
Well done Harry.
He also had a pop at Boris Johnson, Trudeau and Macron for criticising repealing Roe V Wade so he's amongst distinguished company.

I am not offering a view but commenting on the process. Adopting a perspective on US politics as a Counsellor of State will become difficult for him, and us.

Please
or

Roussette · 29/07/2022 13:33

Everyone should be offering a view on this. Including Harry. The Counsellor of State thing is over here and I doubt anyone in the US has even heard of it.
It's not difficult at all, for us or him.

Please
or

EdithWeston · 29/07/2022 13:42

It may also have arisen from their book deal four books on leadership and philanthropy.

Until the books come out, we can't know what they have to say about it, but they have put themselves in to that space

Please
or

antelopevalley · 29/07/2022 14:03

A lot of my American family see them as leaders - whether they like them or not. But they seem to use the word leader in a different way to the way we use it. They use it simply to mean anyone influential/in the public eye.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 29/07/2022 14:05

I find with Britain and America, although we think we speak a common language, there are a lot of subtle differences.
Look at the use of "popping on the bed" in the Louise Woodward case which Americans generally understood as hitting the baby on the bed.

Please
or

Ohnonevermind · 29/07/2022 16:07

i was listening to Tom Bower today on Irish radio

He admired Meghan’s drive, intelligence and said she was very attractive. He was highly complimentary about her.

He said that this would be a make or break year for them in the public eye. They need to establish themselves as leaders

He said Meghan’s weakness is that she could be unnecessarily mean to those she didn’t deem important and this could come back to bite her. He also said that in hindsight the Oprah Winfrey interview came across as vindictive to many which could also hurt her

They have the expensive lifestyle of leaders, and speaking appearances/current jobs won’t bring in the income they need. They need to earn a lot of money so we will have to wait and see.

Netflix wants ratings and relegations, but MM and Harry could hurt themselves if they get caught making questionable revelations again.

It’s tough being a woman in American politics Donald trump could tell any old shit and get away with it. Women are held to a higher standard and if Meghan gets a ‘mean girl’ reputation, it will be hard to lose.

Please
or

Ohnonevermind · 29/07/2022 16:07

Relevations - not relegations 🤣

Please
or

Samcro · 29/07/2022 16:13

yay another meghan bashing thread, haven't had one for a couple of days.

Please
or

Samcro · 29/07/2022 16:14

@Ohnonevermind is that the same bloke who has never met her?

Please
or

Viviennemary · 29/07/2022 16:15

I think most people have had enough of them tbh.

Please
or

Roussette · 29/07/2022 16:16

Viviennemary · 29/07/2022 16:15

I think most people have had enough of them tbh.

Why do people start threads on them then?!

There's certain famous people who get on my nerves, I swerve them, makes life much better!

Please
or

Ohnonevermind · 29/07/2022 16:38

@Samcro

what is your point ?

Are you saying he’s not allowed an opinion as he hasn’t met her

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.