My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

stuck in a style rut.

31 replies

jeansforever · 28/02/2012 20:37

I have worn jeans forever (hence the name!) i'm fed up of constantly looking the same , i always see women who look lovely in dresses etc but don't really know where to start to make the change.
I'm about 5 1" size 12 and id say an apple shape with no waist to speak of, how can i change without feeling too overdressed ? i work from home and just do school runs so don't need work wear and also what kind of things are good for this shape.
If anyone can help i will be eternally greatful!

OP posts:
dingdong3 · 28/02/2012 21:01

A good way to change without feeling too overdressed is to go for a tunic/short dress over skinny jeans. It's a nice way to ease yourself into the dress thing. I have to say, I'm not comfortable in dresses myself so I stick to this look a lot.
Something like these from New Look - loads on their site reasonably priced.
New Look
New Look again!
Or this from Boden?
Don't spend too much until you know this is a look you feel comfortable wearing and buy stuff you can return. And ask a friend for an honest opinion if you're not sure.
Oh, and when you see other women looking lovely in dresses, ask them where they got them - that's how I find nice things as I never seem to see them in the shops myself!
Hope this helps :)

jeansforever · 28/02/2012 21:30

Thanks dingdong , the new look ones are really nice i may have to nip into town and see if they are in store to try on .
My main problem seems to be that things look really short on the models but as i'm short they are much longer so i think il feel to be wearing too much with jeans on ,are leggings under a no no now?
As you can tell i don't have a clue these days !

OP posts:
dingdong3 · 28/02/2012 21:42

I'm not a fan of leggings myself but if you wear with ankle boots, I think they look better than with pumps and ankle showing.
I know what you mean about the length and when wearing with skinny jeans or indeed, leggings, I think you need to make sure the tunic is falling about midway along the thigh. I have had some dresses shortened and even taken one up myself so that's always an option if you know someone handy with a needle and thread.
If I were you, I'd order them to home or buy and keep the receipt so you can try on in the peace of your own room and pin up to try a bit shorter etc. I find shop changing rooms so stressful!
Hopefully some of the more petite S&B mums will help also. Calls for drywhite :)

jeansforever · 28/02/2012 21:52

Brill thanks my mil is good at things like that ,i never even thought about altering things!

OP posts:
drywhiteplease · 28/02/2012 22:40

I'm here !!!!
Agree with dingdong. I am 5ft 2 3/4 (v imp 3/4!!!) .i actually love dresses for day and evening. I find warehouse is a good shop for dresses for little ladies,the waist is in the right place.
DP dresses are fab too.Oasis as well.
I wear a lot of tunics with skinnies as haven't got the courage to reveal my behind in skinnies.
I love Boden tunics.have also found Whitestuff and Fatface good for longer tops.
Will send some links.

drywhiteplease · 28/02/2012 22:59

Rubbish at links but just had a peek at Oasis ( now want to buy) look at the spot print skater dress (nude and black) butterfly skater and anchor skater dresses.get a little short cardi fron H and M in a bright ( today I bought red and green) and wear over navy dresses with opaques and boots or ballerinas for dresses down.

White stuff has loads of tunic tops in.
Prima

drywhiteplease · 28/02/2012 23:04
dingdong3 · 28/02/2012 23:12

Step away from the computer drywhite for your own good - or it'll be beans on toast for the rest of the month Grin

drywhiteplease · 29/02/2012 08:36

Lol dingdong!!! Mn fuelling a real obsession ! Really liked the Whitestuff tunics......but have enough tunics now.....must stop with the tunics!
mrsebjones would be good here....she's very petite

jeansforever · 29/02/2012 13:21

Hi ,I looked at oasis and liked the spot dress i also liked a few other things
Hwww.oasis-stores.com/fcp/product/Oasis//Zebra-Print-T-Shirt-Dress/3170101058?colour=multi blacki , would this be a clingy disaster on me ? as i don't seem to have much shape although i am trying to loose a bit of weight!
I liked the fat face one also but not sure if this would cling?

OP posts:
jeansforever · 29/02/2012 13:25

Forgot to say thanks for the info i also liked this but not sure if it would be a bit dressy ,i thought it may help to give me a bit of a shape?
www.oasis-stores.com/fcp/product/Oasis//Floral-Bloom-Wrap-Dress/3170100358?colour=multi black

OP posts:
drywhiteplease · 29/02/2012 20:36

jeans I love both those dresses.think zebra is brave but could look amazing on and accessorised with a bright belt and bag,shoes or cardi ( rule is to choose only 2 items though) red/fushia/orange/green...........just dress it down with black boots or flats for day.
Do the same with floral wrap.heels for eve and bag etc, flats or boots for day.
The Tunic might be clingy.....but look at the ones with seam just under bust,they might be more forgiving.

P.s to highlight a link you need to put before and at end........still working it out myself!

drywhiteplease · 29/02/2012 20:39

jeans I love both those dresses.think zebra is brave but could look amazing on and accessorised with a bright belt and bag,shoes or cardi ( rule is to choose only 2 items though) red/fushia/orange/green...........just dress it down with black boots or flats for day.
Do the same with floral wrap.heels for eve and bag etc, flats or boots for day.
The Tunic might be clingy.....but look at the ones with seam just under bust,they might be more forgiving.

P.s to highlight a link you need to put before and at end........still working it out myself!

drywhiteplease · 29/02/2012 20:40
drywhiteplease · 29/02/2012 20:40
drywhiteplease · 29/02/2012 20:41

Something wierd going on!!!!!!!

drywhiteplease · 29/02/2012 20:43
MrsCampbellBlack · 29/02/2012 20:45

I'm 5ft and apple shaped and actually just embrace my love of jeans.

I have reasonable legs so skinnies work well - especially the bright coloured ones which are everywhere at the moment. I also love white jeans for spring/summer but appreciate thats not for everyone.

I actually find dresses hard to find for day to day as suit very slim fitting shifts ideally and they don't translate well for my life as a SAHM.

But I wear pretty blouses/shirts with jeans, good handbag, scarf and jewellery - accessories are key.

Personally I'm not a fan of tunics and wear tops tucked into my skinnies.

For figure flattering purposes you really can't beat a single breasted slim fitting mid-thigh coat/mac - zara always have a good range I've got an ivory one ready to wear.

MrsCampbellBlack · 29/02/2012 20:45

I'm 5ft and apple shaped and actually just embrace my love of jeans.

I have reasonable legs so skinnies work well - especially the bright coloured ones which are everywhere at the moment. I also love white jeans for spring/summer but appreciate thats not for everyone.

I actually find dresses hard to find for day to day as suit very slim fitting shifts ideally and they don't translate well for my life as a SAHM.

But I wear pretty blouses/shirts with jeans, good handbag, scarf and jewellery - accessories are key.

Personally I'm not a fan of tunics and wear tops tucked into my skinnies.

For figure flattering purposes you really can't beat a single breasted slim fitting mid-thigh coat/mac - zara always have a good range I've got an ivory one ready to wear.

drywhiteplease · 29/02/2012 20:45
MrsCampbellBlack · 29/02/2012 20:47

Ooops - sorry for double post Blush

RobinSparkles · 29/02/2012 20:48

I'm exactly the same OP! I really want to start wearing dresses too but I hate my legs so I probably wouldn't want to wear them without tights or leggings underneath.

I feel like I need surgically removing from my jeans!

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

MrsCampbellBlack · 29/02/2012 20:50

Why the hatred of jeans? I just don't get it - they're such a blank canvas and they do suit some bodyshapes a lot better than dresses in my opinion.

jeansforever · 29/02/2012 21:04

Thanks drywhite for the links and telling me how to highlight them ,i always wondered how to do that!
Mrs C B - i dont hate jeans i'm just fed up of wearing them although i have got a few pairs of the coloured ones i'm looking forward to wearing .
I just wanted to wear different things from time to time especially now the weather is getting better, i always see women looking nice with dresses so i'd like to give them a go too.

OP posts:
MrsCampbellBlack · 29/02/2012 21:07

white co would suit an apple shape

Whistles had a nice shift dress called the iva in coral but its sold out online but may be in store.

Massimo dutti and Cos also do good dresses for apple shapes as tend to be slim shift style.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.