Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To have noticed there are a lot of threads/ comments deleted on MN

100 replies

Chloefairydust · 12/10/2022 17:40

Haven’t been on mumsnet long, but have noticed lots of threads being deleted and comments too. Also seems to be some people who seem to enjoy reporting comments (some of which I don’t understand why they were offensive). Someone reported a comment about twerking on one of the threads 😂

Just seems a bit odd to me, feels a bit like censorship although I know there probably are valid reasons for deletion of threads at times. I do think sometimes conversations about difficult and controversial topics do need to be had. Although can understand legal implications of people being named ect…

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

85 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
44%
You are NOT being unreasonable
56%
ReneBumsWombats · 12/10/2022 17:43

Not enough, really.

Comments won't be deleted because they mention twerking.

TeenDivided · 12/10/2022 17:46

Things are deleted for breaking the talk guidelines.
MN don't delete just because someone reports, but they do rely on reports to know where to look.
In particular, personal attacks, libel, advertising, and wind up posts are against rules.

AnApparitionQuipped · 12/10/2022 17:49

I report comments if they are personal attacks, racist, disablist etc. Sometimes MN delete them, sometimes not - there's always going to be an element of subjectivity when moderating a forum.

breadmilkandchocolate · 12/10/2022 17:51

There have recently been several threads that were being deliberately provocative. Clearly the op's have nothing better to do. Hopefully repeat offenders will be banned.

Keyansier · 12/10/2022 17:51

I've had some posts deleted but have never received a reason for any of them so not sure why they were.

Also some posts have to be deleted for legal reasons it's not just because of censorship

Pixiedust1234 · 12/10/2022 17:51

A lot of threads get deleted as they are either posted by trolls trying to cause an uproar or a previously banned poster.

Posts get deleted usually for personal attacks.

TeenDivided · 12/10/2022 17:53

Generalisations can get you deleted too.

Why does my partner who has XXX do this? Is OK
Why do XXX people do this? Is not OK.

girlmom21 · 12/10/2022 17:55

If you're ever unsure why a comments been deleted you can ask MNHQ and they'll give you a reason

Hearthnhome · 12/10/2022 17:59

I reported 2 comments today.

One advised a woman who was being abused to not dump her partner but try counselling instead.

One talked really disgustingly about their imaginary, 4 year olds toilet habits (resident poo troll).

Why would I not report it?

MN dont delete everything reported. Not a chance did they delete a post for referring to twerking, there was clearly more to it.

Vampirethriller · 12/10/2022 18:02

The twerking comment wasn't deleted, a comment calling it "yuck" was though.

vodkaredbullgirl · 12/10/2022 18:03

Wait till you been here a long time, you get used to it.

Chloefairydust · 12/10/2022 18:04

I don’t know if the comment about twerking was deleted or not, but another poster quoted it and said they reported it… I haven’t been back on that thread to check… But yeah just seemed rather odd why someone would go out of their way to report it 🤷🏼‍♀️

OP posts:
picklemewalnuts · 12/10/2022 18:04

I report stuff.
I report spammers, abuse, rape myths, people being really judgemental when the OP is already struggling (Not in the spirit).
I report people threatening suicide, as that has a specific protocol

I've had the odd comment left up, but am usually in line with the forum ethos.

Sometimes a thread reads like an invitation to a bun fight, and is being watched for screenshotable comments to prove this is a hate site.

picklemewalnuts · 12/10/2022 18:05

Oh and racism!

Lockheart · 12/10/2022 18:05

Private forums enforcing their own talk rules is not censorship. MN could ban all mention of the word 'cabbage' if they so chose.

shivawn · 12/10/2022 18:06

Moderation is absolutely necessary to stop forums from turning into horrible cesspits. If you want to see an example of that look at the comments section of some popular YouTube videos.

Iwantmyoldnameback · 12/10/2022 18:07

I got my first deletion today for calling a poster a troll. I was not alone though.

ReneBumsWombats · 12/10/2022 18:08

Chloefairydust · 12/10/2022 18:04

I don’t know if the comment about twerking was deleted or not, but another poster quoted it and said they reported it… I haven’t been back on that thread to check… But yeah just seemed rather odd why someone would go out of their way to report it 🤷🏼‍♀️

It's hardly a huge task to hit the report button.

They can report it if they like, but a comment won't be deleted just for mentioning twerking.

AnApparitionQuipped · 12/10/2022 18:10

I got my first deletion today for calling a poster a troll. I was not alone though.

Yes, troll-hunting is a big no-no. Report the suspected troll, but don't accuse them on the thread.

girlmom21 · 12/10/2022 18:12

I got a deletion today for calling someone an immature tit. Now, I know that's a direct insult, but they were being an immature tit and the rest of my comment was very measured so should've been allowed to stay on balance.

Oh and don't ever tell anyone to 'get to fuck'. Apparently that's a direct attack too.

girlmom21 · 12/10/2022 18:13

I meant to add a Grin after saying my measured comment should have been allowed to remain

Chloefairydust · 12/10/2022 18:13

I got a deletion today for calling someone an immature tit. Now, I know that's a direct insult, but they were being an immature tit and the rest of my comment was very measured so should've been allowed to stay on balance.

Oh and don't ever tell anyone to 'get to fuck'. Apparently that's a direct attack too.

Noted 😂

OP posts:
Hearthnhome · 12/10/2022 18:13

I think you can get away with ‘that’s the behaviour of an immature fit’ but not direct. Just in for future 😂

StupidSmallFruit · 12/10/2022 18:15

Just seems a bit odd to me, feels a bit like censorship

It’s not a free world - it’s Mumsnet. A private organisation. They can delete whatever they like.

InCheesusWeTrust · 12/10/2022 18:17

Not censorship but few VERY persistent trolls when it comes to threads being creted and deleted.

But some comments don't deserve delition though.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.