Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To be annoyed my neighbour has painted their side of their fence?

cheesersqueezer · 16/06/2022 18:08

... without telling me? My side looks awful now. If they had told me they were doing it, I would have arranged to get my side done too. Its a totally different colour and the the top and sides are the new colour, as are all the drips on my side. They did this a few years ago as well but it was the same colour and I still had to promptly paint my side because it looked so bad with the drips. I probably said nothing at the time. I will need to get my side painted the same (neighbours choice of colour again)- I don't know whose fence it is, if anyones, it was here before we both moved here, but it maybe is theirs. Just annoyed because I think we usually have a good neighbourly relationship. I have a family party planned at the weekend and have been getting the garden looking presentable and it now looks, well, shoddy and horrible

OP's posts:
Please
or

WetWilly · 16/06/2022 18:21

How awful they didn’t consult you first to marry up dates.
It will be utterly distressing for your party guests and will ruin the evening.

Please
or

vodkaredbullgirl · 16/06/2022 18:23

Oh dear

Please
or

Blue4YOU · 16/06/2022 18:23

It’s a bit of an overreaction op.
is it just one fence panel or an entire side of the garden?
Could you ask to have the paint colour and paint your side?

Please
or

FourTeaFallOut · 16/06/2022 18:24

Are the horizontal beams facing towards you or your neighbour?

Please
or

girlmom21 · 16/06/2022 18:25

Why don't you just find out who owns the fence? Why do you have to paint it the same colour?

I can honestly say I've never not enjoyed a get-together because someone's neighbour painted the fence.

Please
or

JustTheOneSwan · 16/06/2022 18:25

Depends who's fence it is.
If it's theirs put your own lovely fence in front to cover it and if it's yours tell them to stop painting your fence.
knowing who owns it is the solution.

Please
or

FourTeaFallOut · 16/06/2022 18:26

I wonder if you neighbour has no idea about the mess and is just super flattered that you love their colour choices so much you keep copying them so quickly after they have done their own?

Please
or

Savemysoul21 · 16/06/2022 18:27

I’m absolutely gutted for you and understand the pain you must feel. Our neighbour did a similar thing and it took me weeks to reverse the damage.

Please
or

SmartCarDriver · 16/06/2022 18:30

Well it's certainly someone's fence!

Cancel the party, obviously the shame can't be overcome.

Please
or

GinIronic · 16/06/2022 18:31

Who owns the fence?

Please
or

ToughLover · 16/06/2022 18:32

Savemysoul21 · 16/06/2022 18:27

I’m absolutely gutted for you and understand the pain you must feel. Our neighbour did a similar thing and it took me weeks to reverse the damage.

Had the same issue. Our neighbors at the time painted our pine fence a deep emerald green when our side was white! We ended up tearing it down and putting a stone wall in x

Please
or

worraliberty · 16/06/2022 18:32

Why will you have to get it painted? Just wondering because it's a pretty simple job to do yourself (time consuming though, depending on size of fence).

Please
or

dane8 · 16/06/2022 18:39

This happened to us, and we actually bought the fence !
both neighbours painted it grey(it goes into a triangle shape,so both neighbours have panels

our is painted cream, so we had grey drips all over 6 panels.
I gad to get my paint out again, the guy on one side(new neighbour) actually said it’s dripping on our decking !
other neighbour got her paint out touching up, I could hear them talking about it

this year they gave out horizontal wood batons across so it doesn’t happen again. I was told by one neighbour!!

Please
or

SmartCarDriver · 16/06/2022 18:41

FourTeaFallOut · 16/06/2022 18:24

Are the horizontal beams facing towards you or your neighbour?

That makes no difference, it's not law which side they go. On our fence we put those ugly things on our neighbours side!

Please
or

Savemysoul21 · 16/06/2022 18:41

worraliberty · 16/06/2022 18:32

Why will you have to get it painted? Just wondering because it's a pretty simple job to do yourself (time consuming though, depending on size of fence).

OP could very well have a disability which would inhibit them. It’s very ableist to assume it’s a straight forward job for everyone. This website never fails to disappoint me.

Please
or

Jedsnewstar · 16/06/2022 18:43

Paint it the colour you want and let it drip down their side. Or whatever

Please
or

cupcakes12blossom · 16/06/2022 18:45

I'm remembering the recent thread on here about leopard spots - it was awful!
OP - I'd be irritated too. I'd find out who owns the fence.

Please
or

Clavinova · 16/06/2022 18:45

Too hot for painting fences tomorrow.
Could you buy some pretty fabric bunting or some leaf/flower garlands and cover the fence for the party instead?

Please
or

worraliberty · 16/06/2022 18:45

Savemysoul21 · 16/06/2022 18:41

OP could very well have a disability which would inhibit them. It’s very ableist to assume it’s a straight forward job for everyone. This website never fails to disappoint me.

And some posters never fail to answer a question that wasn't directed at them.

'Why will you have to get it painted?' is a question, not an assumption.

Learning that may help you feel less disappointed moving forward.

Please
or

SmartCarDriver · 16/06/2022 18:51

Oh give over @Savemysoul21 !

Please
or

SmartCarDriver · 16/06/2022 18:52

Sorry posted too soon @Savemysoul21 , OP has been working on the garden and painted the thread previously!

Stop with your whataboutery!

Please
or

SmartCarDriver · 16/06/2022 18:53

*the fence not the thread!

Please
or

Bigthicksliceoftoast · 16/06/2022 18:53

YABU - you expect them to have a tatty fence so that you don’t have drips? They’re just as entitled to try and make their garden nice as you are. Just paint over the drips if it bothers you that much. It’s clearly not a new fence if it pre-dates either of you occupying the houses.

You’d probably be equally likely to complain if they didn’t maintain it.

Please
or

TooHotTooGreedy · 16/06/2022 18:55

Love a fence thread because it always reminds me of this post on another fence thread where the pp owned the fence. The responses to the confession of this level of pettiness were hysterical Grin

We were in the same position op. Our fence. We painted our side grey. Ndn painted her side brown. We had a solicitor instruct her not to touch our property.. She legally had to allow us onto her property to maintain the fence. I went round and painted it grey.

anyhow op. A few drips doesn’t make your garden no longer presentable, enjoy the party.

Please
or

Clymene · 16/06/2022 18:55

Oh FFS of course they should have talked to you. It's nice, its neighbourly and it's what adults do.

AIBU is really full of aggy counts today who would pick a fight if they looked in a mirror.

Ignore.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?