Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ridiculous argument with neighbour

257 replies

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:24

Maybe IABU. My dog only ever barks at cats, that's it. Never at other dogs or people.
So, new neighbours at the back recently moved in and have cats, they have them on leads and put them up against our fence.
When I let our dog out and he sees the cats through the fence he'll bark at them. I will then bring him in.
Neighbour saw me today and challenged me over the barking. He said it was annoying. I just said there wasn't much I could do, he's a dog and he barks at cats and I bring him in as soon as I hear him.
Neighbour then responds with, "but my cat doesn't make any noise". I just looked at him, and said, but he's a cat. He doesn't bark.
Neighbour then threatened to call the police if this carries on.
Am I really being unreasonable? I don't know what else I can do?

OP posts:
Please
or

WonderingWanda · 21/04/2022 18:11

Your neighbour is an idiot to be cross about this, surely it's more annoying for you. Mind you, I'm not sure it's anything to do with them being on leads as my twat cat has been known to do this, I can't believe he hasn't been eaten yet! I apologised and told my neighbours to squirt water at him if he is a pain. Not sure what the solution is for you though.

Please
or

AndStand · 21/04/2022 18:20

My cat purposely crosses the road to sit outside my neighbour's wrought-iron gate. She'll sashay up and down occasionally sitting down to wash her face, giving the side-eye to the dogs behind the gate who are going demented with desperation.
Cats can definitely play that game.

Please
or

AlternativePerspective · 21/04/2022 18:21

Dogs bark, it’s what they do.

As for posters saying to the OP to train her dog not to bark, what a load of crap. It’s one thing to say bring in the dog when it barks, that’s fair enough. But no dog should never be expected to bark ever, it is the sound they make naturally. Some dogs don’t bark purely because that’s what they do, but dogs are meant to bark.

The fact is if you have cats then dogs are likely to bark at them. It’s a fact of life. Maybe the cat owner should train her cats not to get up on the fence? No?

Please
or

MaybeSomeDay7 · 21/04/2022 18:23

That was exactly what I thought too 😄

Please
or

AuntMargo · 21/04/2022 18:24

Ignore that neighbour.

Please
or

mothertrucking · 21/04/2022 18:38

How the hell do you train a dog not to bark at a cat? My neighbours cat sits on our wall just to wind my dogs up. My dogs bark at it, luckily my neighbour isn't batshit and actually apologises for her cat taunting my dogs. Either way it's animal instinct. He's nuts!

Please
or

SoupDragon · 21/04/2022 18:42

AllThingsServeTheBeam · 21/04/2022 18:03

@SoupDragon

I hate the dog next door who barks at my cats and at my dog (who doesn't bark). It's fucking annoying.

Train your dog not to react.
I bet your neighbours hate your cats making their dog (do a completely natural thing for a dog) bark!

Wow the irony.

Well, you'd lose that bet so you can keep your "wow".

The bloody thing barks if I dare to walk my dog out onto my drive at the start of a dog walk. It barks if I dare to walk down my garden to hang laundry. It barks from the window if it sees my dog outside.

It is the most annoying yappy thing ever. It doesn't help that he get "rewarded" for barking by them using a squeaky toy to "distract" him.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 21/04/2022 18:42

@SoupDragon

I hate the dog next door who barks at my cats and at my dog (who doesn't bark). It's fucking annoying.

I bet your neighbours hate your cats making their dog (do a completely natural thing for a dog) bark!

Wow the irony.

Well, you'd lose that bet so you can keep your "wow".

The bloody thing barks if I dare to walk my dog out onto my drive at the start of a dog walk. It barks if I dare to walk down my garden to hang laundry. It barks from the window if it sees my dog outside.

It is the most annoying yappy thing ever. It doesn't help that he get "rewarded" for barking by them using a squeaky toy to "distract" him.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 21/04/2022 18:45

@SoupDragon

Wow the irony.

🙄 you can save your "wow" because you'd lost that bet. The dog is fucking annoying. It barks when I walk my dog out onto my driveway to go out, it barks from the window if we dare to walk past, it barks if I walk down my garden. It's the worst noisy neighbour ever.

It needs to be trained. Not rewarding the bloody thing with a squeaky toy to "distract" him would probably help.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 21/04/2022 18:46

@SoupDragon

Wow the irony.

🙄 you can save your "wow" because you'd lost that bet. The dog is fucking annoying. It barks when I walk my dog out onto my driveway to go out, it barks from the window if we dare to walk past, it barks if I walk down my garden. It's the worst noisy neighbour ever.

It needs to be trained. Not rewarding the bloody thing with a squeaky toy to "distract" him would probably help.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 21/04/2022 18:46

@SoupDragon

Wow the irony.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 21/04/2022 18:50

FFS. This crappy "improved" site is going mad. The multiple posts are from when it gave the silly "we're going to make out server a strong cuppa to sort it out" error message. 😂🙄

Please
or

Giraffesandbottoms · 21/04/2022 18:53

It’s actually a very unpleasant thing to do, to train a dog to stop barking. It’s basically telling it it’s wrong to use it’s main form of communication, and that’s not right. It can cause them stress and upset. It’s also pretty useful having a dog that barks at intruders - be they feline or homosapien.

our neighbour’s cat frequently comes into our garden and I have no problem with our dog barking at it. If they don’t like it they should stop it from coming in. I would cover your fence as you suggest; just because your dog barking when they are in their own garden is a bit annoying, but I agree if they are on the fence that’s your neighbour’s issue to solve.

tying up your cat is so stupid. I know nothing about cats and even I can see why that’s a terrible idea.

Please
or

Rosscameasdoody · 21/04/2022 18:58

It’s possible the cats’ leads are just temporary until they get used to their new home. I would have a word with your neighbour and suggest he find a location to tether the cats where it’s not so obvious to the dog and that he then puts up bamboo screening or something similar against that section of the fence so the dog can’t see them. If you’re bringing in your dog when you hear the barking I think you’re doing everything you can, but if you don’t want to start off on the wrong foot, maybe try to get your neighbour on board to find a solution together - your dog is just as entitled to enjoy your garden as your neighbours cats are his. And by the way - ‘cat’s don’t bark’ !!🤣🤣🤣

Please
or

Iateallthechocolate · 21/04/2022 18:59

Could you train your dog to bark when your neighbour speaks? That way you don't have to listen to him moaning at you

Please
or

EvilPea · 21/04/2022 19:04

Cats gonna cat and dogs gonna dog.
your neighbours a twat. Your doing what you can. It’s just life with neighbours isn’t it, some have pets, some don’t. You just have to accept it.

Please
or

HandlebarLadyTash · 21/04/2022 19:05

But cats don't bark 😂

Please
or

Favouritefruits · 21/04/2022 19:11

ignore you neighbour! If his cats jump on the fence he’s not helping the situation so should just be quiet!

Please
or

Ecci · 21/04/2022 19:16

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 specifies 5 welfare needs of animals, one of which is the need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns. You have a duty of care to ensure that these needs are being met.
It is normal behaviour for dogs to bark.
You cannot, therefore, prevent them from barking because you would be breaking the law.
Tell your neighbour that you are not willing to become a criminal just to keep him happy.

Please
or

Beesevenoaks · 21/04/2022 19:16

Cat’s on leads, really! Cats roam, that’s what they do and will try and tease dogs who naturally bark.

..cover the fence and make it clear to neighbour this is your dogs space, your dog is walked regularly and if the stupid cats taunt him (probably because they are tied up not chasing or killing birds), that really is his problem. x

Please
or

AllThingsServeTheBeam · 21/04/2022 19:20

@SoupDragon

Drip drip
Please
or

UrslaB · 21/04/2022 19:31

I would laugh in this idiots face. Honestly. Literally, laugh in his face. Put on my biggest smile and tell him to carry on and call the cops. If the police can be bothered to find the time to come out to such a nuisance call they won't have much sympathy for him as this is a civil matter, and one in which you are being reasonable. They bring their cats out and your dog barks so you bring them in. There is nothing else you could be expected to do.

I would happily and with my most sugary sweet smile tell the idiot neighbour that they could try only putting their cats out when my dog isn't in the garden because then he wouldn;t bark. He never barked before tehy moved in and thus they must adapt or else they are the ones instigating the issue. Then I would kidnly suggest taht if they are so concenred they should get up off their arses and errect a proper high fence with anti clibing studs for cat so that A) the dogs can't see the cats and thus won't bark. B) With proper fencing, like a responsible owner they won't have to put tehir cats on bloody leads like half witted imbeciles.

Okay, maybe leave out teh insults. Put on your most polite and sugary voice as you sweetly advise them on courses of action they can take.

Call the police...😂What an idiot. Yeah, I am sure CID dog watch will rush round for such a high priority call🙄

Please
or

thelowcarbsweats · 21/04/2022 19:34

The cats aren't taunting your dog. They're probably bored, poor little fuckers. Whoever suggested you add to their misery by shooting a water pistol at them, I hope a seagull does a massive splashy shit on your head this summer.

Tell your neighbour to put up something so the cats can't see the dog and vice versa. The police won't be interested, unless it's to inform the bloke about his set up could cause choking hazards.

Please
or

UrslaB · 21/04/2022 19:35

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 18:04

The fence is already 2ft high, or there abouts. I'm going to cover it so ddog can't see through, then see if batshit neighbour will consider not allowing cats to jump on the fence. A fair compromise I feel.

Just saw this and laughed. yeah, you will teach your dog to not bark at cats when he teaches his cat to not climb. I would love to see the idiots face if you said that to him.

Also, I apologise for my poor spelling on previous post. Mobile phone and fat thumbs are useless for forum typing.

Please
or

WhoWants2Know · 21/04/2022 19:38

Is the fence yours or your neighbours?

if yours, you can cover it and attach cat strips across the top so they don’t sit on top where the dogs can see them.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?