Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ridiculous argument with neighbour

257 replies

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:24

Maybe IABU. My dog only ever barks at cats, that's it. Never at other dogs or people.
So, new neighbours at the back recently moved in and have cats, they have them on leads and put them up against our fence.
When I let our dog out and he sees the cats through the fence he'll bark at them. I will then bring him in.
Neighbour saw me today and challenged me over the barking. He said it was annoying. I just said there wasn't much I could do, he's a dog and he barks at cats and I bring him in as soon as I hear him.
Neighbour then responds with, "but my cat doesn't make any noise". I just looked at him, and said, but he's a cat. He doesn't bark.
Neighbour then threatened to call the police if this carries on.
Am I really being unreasonable? I don't know what else I can do?

OP posts:
Please
or

Watchkeys · 21/04/2022 17:15

Franklyfrost · 21/04/2022 16:41

Your dog should be quiet at night, cats or no cats, because that way your neighbours can sleep. Its a ridiculous question to ask.

What question is a ridiculous question to ask?

Please
or

MyCatIsAJerk · 21/04/2022 17:19

Dogs bark. That’s plain old common sense, and exactly what the police will tell your neighbor.
Offer to call the police for him — he’ll back down.
Don’t make any accommodation for him, because it’ll never end if you do. It’ll escalate.

Please
or

Jalepenojello · 21/04/2022 17:23

@WiddlinDiddlin why would I need to explain in detail how to train the dog? It’s not my dog. When I need to train my dog something I do my own research. No one said anything about it happened not over night. It would take weeks of consistency and continued exposure obviously

Please
or

Celendine · 21/04/2022 17:27

The cats can do whatever they like in their own garden. Some cats couldn't care less if a dog barked at them and yes I know cats who love grinning down on a barking dog...however I trained my dogs not to bark at cats.

Please
or

cansu · 21/04/2022 17:29

I would love to hear that phone call to the police! If he says anything else, tell him his cat is annoying your dog and could he please take his cats inside. Utterly bonkers. Yes, it is annoying but he is equally responsible for having a cat on a lead in his garden!

Please
or

SoupDragon · 21/04/2022 17:34

I hate the dog next door who barks at my cats and at my dog (who doesn't bark). It's fucking annoying.

Train your dog not to react.

Please
or

YouHaveYourFathersBreasts · 21/04/2022 17:36

godmum56 · 21/04/2022 15:38

to stop them leaving the garden. Its stupid and dangerous as its possible for cats to get tangled in their own or other cats' leads and be killed or injured.

I was thinking that it’s dangerous too- surely the cats could get injured or worse if they’re on leads and climbing fences and stuff?

The neighbour sounds like he(?) enjoys winding the dog up so they can complain about it. Bawbag.

Please
or

minipie · 21/04/2022 17:36

Ok the cats on leads thing is dangerous and daft and the neighbour hasn’t been particularly reasonable so I don’t have a lot of sympathy with them.

However, you could easily have a neighbour in future who gets a cat and lets it roam like most cats do. Then the cat will walk along your fence or up on nearby roofs and your dog will bark and bark and drive everyone mad including you.

This seems like a good opportunity to train the dog to get used to cats. You’d need to spend some time outside with the dog working on it though (rather than immediately bringing the dog in) so the neighbour would need to understand the noise may get worse at first.

Please
or

MsSquiz · 21/04/2022 17:37

I would speak to your neighbour as if you hadn't had the previous conversation and tell him his cats are agitating your dog, causing the dog to bark and get stressed, so could they tie them up somewhere else in the garden?

Your neighbour is crackers, and I'm a cat owner! I wouldn't tie my cats up where they could sit on a fence and antagonise a dog! He already knows your dog barks at cats, why would he deliberately allow his cats to be put in harms way and sit, tied to a fence, where a dog could attack them, and the cats couldn't escape from?! Madness!

Please
or

pictish · 21/04/2022 17:38

Georgeskitchen · 21/04/2022 15:51

Let him call the police . What they going to do, arrest your dog? Maybe they should arrest the cats for taunting your dog 😉

Absolutely. Let him call the police if he wants. “Yes officer, the neighbour’s dog barks at my cats.”
Reminds me of the woman who dialled 999 because she couldn’t find her glasses. Bless her.

This is part and parcel of living within a community. Clashing pets. I think you’re doing what you can removing your dog when he starts barking. I doubt covering up the fence will make much difference…if he can’t see the cats, he can smell them and hear them. He’ll bark at them anyway.

So yes…keep being that good owner and he can call the police.

Please
or

afizzysweet · 21/04/2022 17:38

The police will laugh at him.

Put something up against your fence so that your dog can't see the cats and bark, to reduce stress to your dog. If the cats jump up on your fence then shout at them yourself to get off or water pistol them.

Dogs bark, people need to get over it. Your dog is allowed to bark in it's own garden as long as it isn't nuisance barking, for long periods of time, or at antisocial hours.

I don't let my dog bark at cats in the street but if one hangs around on our garden fence then it's fair game and the cat will soon learn to get lost.

The sonic devices many people recommend hurt dog's ears.

Please
or

ifIwerenotanandroid · 21/04/2022 17:42

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:32

I thought about covering the fence, but they also climb the fence (long leads), and look down at my dog. The taunt him Sad

My cat sits on the roof of my neighbour's car so he see in through her lounge window & taunt her dogs IN THEIR OWN HOME.

That's cats for you.

Please
or

Qwill · 21/04/2022 17:44

The cats might have AIDS. My friend had two cats with this and had to keep them in the house or on a lead in the garden to stop it getting passed on or them picking up a disease.

Please
or

LadyBrienne · 21/04/2022 17:49

@KindleAndCake as many others have suggested, cover the fence so pup can't see through it, and maybe ask your neighbours to ensure the cat leads are not long enough to allow cats to sit on top of fence (either by shortening leads, or tieing leads to other part of garden) - that's a collaborative solution to what is a problem for both of you

Please
or

TrashyPanda · 21/04/2022 17:51

He’s nutty.

and the RSPCA advises against putting cats on leads.

Please
or

RedHorsesAreDangerous · 21/04/2022 17:51

If they've just moved to the area, that might explain the leads. We got a cat just before Lockdown 1, and had to put him on leads (a very, very, long collection of leads) in the garden to get him used to going outside until we could get him neutered (not regarded as a priority by the government in that first Lockdown).

We were always with him though, and luckily our immediate neighbour's dog is an absolute sweetie and kitten was born in a house with dogs.

Can't say the whacking great Doberman that the grandparents round the back sometimes dogsit for is quite as sweet, though; even with the fence he's so enormous he can get over the top, and has done, scaring not just the cats, but Daffy the Neighbour's Dog as well...He doesn't bark, though. Just glowers.

Please
or

RedHorsesAreDangerous · 21/04/2022 17:53

Should add, it's a shared garden, so a catio or similar wasn't an option.

Please
or

AllThingsServeTheBeam · 21/04/2022 17:59

@OctopusSay

On the face of it, it'll seems bonkers but it is more considerate than letting the cats roam in others' gardens.

The cats don't bark comments amusing but surely designed to antagonise.

It must be possible to train the dog not to bark?
Some dogs yes. Some dogs no. You do realise all dogs are different? They're not robots.
Please
or

AllThingsServeTheBeam · 21/04/2022 18:03

@SoupDragon

I hate the dog next door who barks at my cats and at my dog (who doesn't bark). It's fucking annoying.

Train your dog not to react.
I bet your neighbours hate your cats making their dog (do a completely natural thing for a dog) bark!

Wow the irony.
Please
or

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 18:04

The fence is already 2ft high, or there abouts. I'm going to cover it so ddog can't see through, then see if batshit neighbour will consider not allowing cats to jump on the fence. A fair compromise I feel.

OP posts:
Please
or

Nothappyatwork · 21/04/2022 18:04

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 16:05

Thankyou for all you replies, I'm going to take a look at the roll bar fence top thingies.

I’ve looked into those roller bars for my garden because I have the cats it would cost about 2 1/2 grand for me to cut prove my extremely medium sized garden

Please
or

Blue4YOU · 21/04/2022 18:07

Dogs chase or bark at cats. Train the cat not to be a cat and see how well that goes (to those suggesting a dog can be trained not to bark at cats). Cats don’t have superior status just because they don’t bark!

Please
or

PeachesToday · 21/04/2022 18:07

The poor cats are probably making a bid for freedom from their weird owners.

Dogs bark at cats. Dogs bark full stop. It’s their nature and as long as it’s dealt with quickly and not anti social hours what’s the problem really? 30 seconds of noise. Suck it up.

Mine are elderly now and the idea of training them out of barking at their nemesis is ridiculous.

Please
or

Booboobagins · 21/04/2022 18:08

What an obtuse convo!

Let him call the po po, your dog needs to go out and let off steam. It's unlikely to get him anywhere cos tying cats on leads to fences is cruel. He might himself find the deep water surrounds him not you....

Personally I'd ignore him.

I once had a stupid neighbour who taught one of my dogs to bark. I could have brained her. He still barks now even though the other 2 don't... teaching a dog not to bark I a clearly hit and miss IME...

Please
or

Watchkeys · 21/04/2022 18:09

@minipie

Then the cat will walk along your fence or up on nearby roofs and your dog will bark and bark and drive everyone mad including you

It would drive the cat mad first, and then it would leave. I've never heard of a situation where a cat sits for extended periods whilst a dog barks at it. Cats can't be bothered, generally. I accept that there might be one or two nutcase cats who do this, but training your dog in case they come across one as a neighbour is a bit like wearing a crash helmet when you go for a walk in case a tree falls down on you.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?