Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ridiculous argument with neighbour

257 replies

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:24

Maybe IABU. My dog only ever barks at cats, that's it. Never at other dogs or people.
So, new neighbours at the back recently moved in and have cats, they have them on leads and put them up against our fence.
When I let our dog out and he sees the cats through the fence he'll bark at them. I will then bring him in.
Neighbour saw me today and challenged me over the barking. He said it was annoying. I just said there wasn't much I could do, he's a dog and he barks at cats and I bring him in as soon as I hear him.
Neighbour then responds with, "but my cat doesn't make any noise". I just looked at him, and said, but he's a cat. He doesn't bark.
Neighbour then threatened to call the police if this carries on.
Am I really being unreasonable? I don't know what else I can do?

OP posts:
Please
or

ponkydonkey · 21/04/2022 15:46

If their cats don't like noise or barking why are they standing on the fence?

Cats don't bark comment was hilarious 🤣🤣

Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 21/04/2022 15:49

Let him ring the police. What they going to do, arrest your dog? Maybe they should arrest the cats for taunting the dog 😉

Please
or

PlantBasedPluto · 21/04/2022 15:50

Time to get a super soaker for when they taunt the dog from the fence.

Please
or

Watchkeys · 21/04/2022 15:50

Jalepenojello · 21/04/2022 15:43

Train your dog?

To obey the neighbour?

Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 21/04/2022 15:51

Let him call the police . What they going to do, arrest your dog? Maybe they should arrest the cats for taunting your dog 😉

Please
or

Prettypussy · 21/04/2022 15:52

The neighbour is an idiot to tie cats to chair. However, he would well be in his right to just let his cats roam free like most people do so it's up to you to stop your dog barking in any case. Cats are everywhere, surely your dog sees other cats roaming very time he's out in the garden?

Please
or

SleeplessInEngland · 21/04/2022 15:53

I'd be amused to hear the police response if he/she actually rang them.

Please
or

Jalepenojello · 21/04/2022 15:53

Watchkeys · 21/04/2022 15:50

To obey the neighbour?

To not be as reactive. Can’t see a downside to that.

Please
or

EdwinaSharma · 21/04/2022 15:54

I’ve put willow trellis on top of my fences to stop the cats jumping over as my dog is the same. Constantly looking out for a cat. its like a concertina so you can stretch it out really far and I’ve attached it with cup hooks

www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-expanding-willow-fence-180cm-x-90cm/p/0298033

Please
or

Ohwowhoho · 21/04/2022 15:54

Are they pedigree cats? My Nana used to put her Mainecoons on leads in the garden so they could have a wonder without escaping.

they need to tie them to something other than your fence and you need to train your dog.

Please
or

CutesyUserName · 21/04/2022 15:54

Block the view of cats through the fence.

If the cats then jump up onto the fence as you say they do, which then makes your dog bark, the cat owner has no right to complain. You'd have done what you can.

Please
or

JustLyra · 21/04/2022 15:55

Neighbour is an idiot - long leads (and being unsupervised on leads) is dangerous for cats. Hopefully they’re at least on harnesses and not just collars as that’s dangerous

he’s being an idiot complaining when you bring the dogs in right away. He should keep his cats off the fence if it’s an issue.

Can you put up screen fencing? We have bamboo inside the fence to stop the neighbour’s kid peering through (I have 6 children so I’m v.kid friendly - neighbour allows their child to be an absolute pest).

it’s not wide enough for a cat to sit on.

Please
or

XenoBitch · 21/04/2022 15:56

Prettypussy · 21/04/2022 15:52

The neighbour is an idiot to tie cats to chair. However, he would well be in his right to just let his cats roam free like most people do so it's up to you to stop your dog barking in any case. Cats are everywhere, surely your dog sees other cats roaming very time he's out in the garden?

Most cats would just up and leave of they were in a garden with a barking dog, so the barking would not be an issue for too long.
That is different to allowing your cats (and if on leads, the owner can see them) to sit on a fence and taunt the dog.
OP's neighbour is daft for having cats on leads anyway. If the lead is long enough to be tied to a chair and allow the cat to be on top an adjoining fence, it is long enough to get caught up on them and cause injury/death if the cat has a freak out.
They would be better off properly cat proofing their garden if they are that worried about their cats escaping. Most cat proofing consists of rollers/fencing on top of fences so taunting dogs would not be an issue.

Please
or

whenwilliwillibefamous · 21/04/2022 15:57

Your neighbour is an eejit
You can't stop him being an eejit
You can (eventually) put up a solid 2m high fence on your side of the boundary, with something to deter cats (?? a roller bar maybe ???) on top. That likely would sort it so that your dog and you can enjoy your garden without cats and moaning neighbours. I agree, it's a PITA but it should work and doesn't require the neighbour to miraculously change

Please
or

NewandNotImproved · 21/04/2022 15:58

Do what PP said-agree with him. ‘I’m going to call the police!!’ ‘Ok.’

if it’s your fence you can buy a roller thing that’ll stop the animals climbing it. At least they’re on leads, and not shitting all round peoples property and decimating native species.

Please
or

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername · 21/04/2022 15:59

Sweetmotherofallthatisholyabov · 21/04/2022 15:34

you should 100% tell him his cars are taunting the dog, I feel it will follow the general logic of the conversation 😂

Actually, it's far too logical for that conversation. Cats absolutely do taunt dogs on purpose, I've seen mine do it.

Please
or

BemoreDerek · 21/04/2022 15:59

Is it your fence OP? There are cat deterrent strips you can buy to put along the top of the fence to stop them climbing, don't think they're designed to hurt them from what I can see, just make it awkward for them to walk/sit on the top edge. So those and covering the fence so your dog can't see should solve the problem and will also piss the neighbour off if they are doing it on purpose Grin

Please
or

TotalRhubarb · 21/04/2022 15:59

Your neighbour is insane.

I would see about blocking your dog’s view of the cats as much as is reasonable/possible, for his own benefit, but then just get on with things.

i’m intrigued that your neighbour thinks your local plod would be interested in this! I’d love to know where you live that has this good a police service. We have the Met, who don’t bother with burglaries, threats to kill, or anything short of murder really.

Please
or

Justleaveitblankthen · 21/04/2022 16:01

Your neighbour chains his cats up?! I've heard it all now. He's ridiculous, but unfortunately you need to stop your dog barking at the poor things. They will have no idea that he can't ( hopefully) ever get to them, but they will certainly know they have no means of escape if he does.
What a cruel Prick he is Angry

Please
or

SmileAndWaveSmileAndWave · 21/04/2022 16:03

"cats don't bark" 😂

Tell him his cats are taunting your dog.

You bring your dog in, what else can you do right now?

Please
or

XenoBitch · 21/04/2022 16:04

Justleaveitblankthen · 21/04/2022 16:01

Your neighbour chains his cats up?! I've heard it all now. He's ridiculous, but unfortunately you need to stop your dog barking at the poor things. They will have no idea that he can't ( hopefully) ever get to them, but they will certainly know they have no means of escape if he does.
What a cruel Prick he is Angry

Cats do taunt though. If they are sitting on top a fence and looking down at OP's dog, they know they are safe.
There is a cat that keeps coming into my garden and taunting my dog. Will sit just out of reach and watch my dog lose her mind.

Please
or

ForeverLooking · 21/04/2022 16:04

They have their cats on leads?! I mean great if it stops them shitting in other people's gardens but 🥴.
I've got a VERY cat/small furry animal reactive rescue lurcher. Fortunately she isn't a barker at all but will chase if she could. Our garden has really solid high fences and luckily cats seem to steer clear -we also attached a clear string all around the top of the fencing so it's difficult for cats to walk along. Can your dog actually see the cats through the fencing? If so I would cover this with either planting or solid fencing. I get how barking is annoying as our old neighbours used to have two labs who would be non stop for hours -but if you stop your dog as it starts then I can't see the issue. The police won't have any interest at all so don't even think about that.

Please
or

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 16:05

Thankyou for all you replies, I'm going to take a look at the roll bar fence top thingies.

OP posts:
Please
or

Watchkeys · 21/04/2022 16:05

Jalepenojello · 21/04/2022 15:53

To not be as reactive. Can’t see a downside to that.

The downside is that it's hard work to train a dog not to be a dog. It's allowed to bark in its own garden. Not excessively at antisocial hours, but it's allowed to bark. The neighbour doesn't have the right to complete silence any more than OP has the right to tell them to keep their cats out of sight.

People have to live and let live. There are only laws to restrict us, and this issue doesn't go near them, so it's down to 2 people reaching an agreeable compromise. The neighbour isn't being agreeable, and has no right to what they're asking for.

Please
or

diddl · 21/04/2022 16:08

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:32

I thought about covering the fence, but they also climb the fence (long leads), and look down at my dog. The taunt him Sad

I shouldn't laugh-but it's just unfortunate that your dog reacts to the cats.

Our cat would regularly sit on the wall & when next door's daughter visited with their dog it would yap & run around stupidly.

I'm sure our dog & cat used to roll their eyes at each other!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?