Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Wait and see? (Picture) anyone up?!

Lucky3333 · 27/01/2022 00:54

Sorry shamelessly posting for medical issue!

I was diagnosed yesterday with cellulitis on my outer ear. The GP told me to go to hospital if it got any worse/spread but said he thinks they'd caught it early enough and prescribed 2 weeks of antibiotics.

I have only taken three of the tablets so far as I obviously only got them yesterday morning.

I'm a bit worried as it's on my face. I feel very tired but unable to sleep, hot and have a throbbing headache and feel incredibly thirsty but unable to quench it not sure if it's linked or not.

The first picture was this morning when I went to the doctor. The second is now. It's spread to the bottom of my ear and my neck just underneath that now feels tender and sore.

The reason I'm reluctant is firstly because I know I've not really given the antibiotics chance to work yet and secondly I have my young baby here. Going into hospital now would mean waking family to come and stay with him in the middle of the night.

Should I wait and give the ABs more chance to work or?

Wait and see? (Picture) anyone up?! Wait and see? (Picture) anyone up?!
OP's posts:
Please
or

Lucky3333 · 27/01/2022 00:54

Sorry pictures muddled up. The first picture is NOW. The second is this morning.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NatriumChloride · 27/01/2022 00:56

Oh gosh! Looks like it has spread pretty fast! I’d go in, OP… but that’s just me 🤷🏻‍♀️

Please
or

1vandal2 · 27/01/2022 00:58

I think I'd go to a&e. That is pretty fast spreading worryingly.

Please
or

gokartdillydilly · 27/01/2022 01:01

I think you should ring 111 for advice. Don't minimise your symptoms to them. Tell them about the pain and thirst. That is worrying. If you think it's not right, you're probably right. Maybe ask someone to come round now to look out for you and be there for the baby, if you need to go in x

Please
or

RicherThanYew · 27/01/2022 01:02

sorry to point out the obvious op but that looks nasty! Do you have a temp? Have you taken para or ibuprofen? I only ask because if you have and they effectively helped with discomfort and/or temperature you may be ok to wait a few days to see how you respond to antibiotics. Cellulitis shouldn't be given a chance to become too bad though so if you feel rotten perhaps take the plunge and go to A and E.

Please
or

Rodion · 27/01/2022 01:03

If just the ear had got a but puffier I'd say you're OK but spreading to the neck sounds like you need to be careful. On that basis nobody can safely advise you to not go to a&e, but that's not to say the antibiotics won't kick in and sort you out before morning either. Sorry, that's decidedly unhelpful. Perhaps err on the side of caution in this scenario as the stakes are high given its near your brain.

Please
or

Ponoka7 · 27/01/2022 01:03

You need to go to A&E, you might need an antibiotic drip and other meds.

Please
or

DukeofEarlGrey · 27/01/2022 01:03

I agree, sorry OP. Something that fast moving could need urgent attention. The ABs haven’t caught it. If you were my family I would definitely want you to bother me in the night to get taken care of Flowers

Please
or

Lucky3333 · 27/01/2022 01:04

@RicherThanYew

sorry to point out the obvious op but that looks nasty! Do you have a temp? Have you taken para or ibuprofen? I only ask because if you have and they effectively helped with discomfort and/or temperature you may be ok to wait a few days to see how you respond to antibiotics. Cellulitis shouldn't be given a chance to become too bad though so if you feel rotten perhaps take the plunge and go to A and E.

It was 38.1 when I took it last, I do feel very warm.

The doctor gave me co-codamol.

I'll give my Mum a ring then maybe see if she can come. She's in work tomorrow so feel terrible 😖
OP's posts:
Please
or

Vispa · 27/01/2022 01:06

GP said go in if it spreads or gets worse...it's spreading quickly so I would definitely go in. Poor you that looks nasty, hope you get well soon Flowers

Please
or

gokartdillydilly · 27/01/2022 01:15

Don't feel bad about your mum, OP. I can guarantee she would rather have a disturbed night than see you getting really poorly. Re my previous post, I'd bypass 111 and go straight to A&E. Can anyone take you? Hope you're much better soon xx

Please
or

Electriq · 27/01/2022 01:15

Without sounding rude, they said if it gets any worse to go straight to hospital, well it clearly has, very quickly, your ear is a completely different shape, so please get seen.

Good Luck

Please
or

ThreeLocusts · 27/01/2022 01:15

Yes do go t a&e. It's moving too fast to be sure the oral abs will catch up with it in time.

Please
or

Blossomtoes · 27/01/2022 01:19

Fuck me, that’s nasty. I hope you’re on your way to A&E - and that it gets better as fast as it’s got worse.

Please
or

Yesyesyesno · 27/01/2022 01:21

That looks much worse than the first photo! Definitely go to A&E as they said to if it gets worse. That looks very painful OP, hope they sort it fast.

Please
or

Bluesparkled · 27/01/2022 01:22

Agree A&E. You poor thing, that looks painful:(

Please
or

caringcarer · 27/01/2022 01:27

I get cellulitis about 5 times a year but always on my same leg. The antibiotics take 48 hours to even start to work. I also find if I take 1 tablet at 7 am by 4 pm the redness gets really bad again. It is as if the antibiotics only last about 8 hours not 12. The headaches will be linked. I now take 1 tablet every 9 hours over first 3 days then drop back to every 12 hours after that.

Please
or

caringcarer · 27/01/2022 01:29

If you go to A&E they will put you on IV antibiotics through a drip. This is quicker acting but you won't be able to leave until all drip works through about 4 hours when I had IV antibiotics.

Please
or

NiceTwin · 27/01/2022 01:34

Hope you are on your way op, that looks very painful.

Please
or

Chouetted · 27/01/2022 01:37

A&E! You don't want to take a chance with that, it could end in sepsis.

Please
or

nocoolnamesleft · 27/01/2022 01:38

That is significantly worse. I wouldn't have expected the ABs to have made it any better by now, but they should have stopped it getting worse, if they were going to work. Sorry, but I would say A&E, as I suspect you're going to need IV ABs.

Please
or

Fromthebirdsnest · 27/01/2022 01:39

Go to A&e lovely and let us know how you get on , infections can get nasty very quickly ..

Please
or

JollyHolly30 · 27/01/2022 01:41

I think your Mum would want you to get checked out at A&E. I'd go if I were you.

Please
or

Ohdofuckofdear · 27/01/2022 01:41

I'd go to the hospital now.

I'd be worried that if it's spread to your neck that it could spread to your throat and could cause you to struggle with your breathing!

I hope you go in and that your seen quickly.

Please
or

DoorbellsSleighbellsSchnitzel · 27/01/2022 01:50

I think you should go in to A&E.
It's spreading fast.
You've got a temperature.
You've got a banging headache.
There's potential for you to go downhill very quickly at this point, and risk sepsis.
Yes, you've not given the ABs "time to work" but it may well be at this point that you need IV ABs.
I've had cellulitis 5 times in 10 years, once leading to sepsis. It's not to be underestimated.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.