Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

‘Cool’ things you have done!

Chelsea26 · 05/08/2022 22:06

Today DP and I took our 4 kids up to London to the theatre.

After, we had a walk round a few sights and he flashed his warrant card and we were able to walk down and take a picture outside Number 10 Downing Street (not that I like anyone in there but still… quite cool)

We walked on a little further and went past the HoP, in my youth I was part of a film crew that went up ‘Big Ben’ and stayed up there for a few hours (also cool), and then, as I was the only woman on the crew, I got to wind the clock!

So as we were walking past today, I casually told the kids that I had wound that clock and I am probably one of very few people alive that have done so

and I was cool for about five minutes

What ‘cool’ things have you done?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Skinnermarink · 05/08/2022 22:09

Ooh that is cool OP!

if anyone remembers Skins, I was a dancer on series 1 and 2. It’s less skilful than it sounds. Anytime there was a club or party scene, I’m probably there dancing away in hot pants, brightly coloured (ripped obvs) tights and a black vest top. I got paid about £40 for a 12 hour day on set 🤣🤣

Please
or

whattodoforthebest2 · 05/08/2022 22:20

Since you're talking about the Houses of Parliament, I used to work in the House of Commons, as a transcriber for the Hansard Press. Basically, every debate, sitting, committee etc has to be recorded and transcribed and kept forever! In those days (early 80's), a reporter would sit in on the debate and write in shorthand for 5-10 mins, every single word that was spoken and by whom, and then would come out to small booths where the transcribers would sit waiting for them. They'd then dictate the whole thing to the transcriber and take the typed copy away for filing/copying etc. You had to be very fast and accurate at typing. I remember being there when Margaret Thatcher was PM, debating our response in the Falklands conflict - I was quite proud to have been involved, albeit only to a small extent.

Please
or

Qik · 05/08/2022 22:26

Gallantry medal.

Please
or

MaraScottie · 05/08/2022 22:26

I worked in an airfield as a teenager and learned to fly 2 seater prop planes around the age of 16 and 17. Flew solo many times too. Wouldn't do it now though😆

Please
or

FindingANewLifePlan · 05/08/2022 22:28

I have nothing to contribute sadly! But enjoyed the stories so far Smile

Please
or

Scottishflower65 · 05/08/2022 22:29

Been in top 20 VR fitness game as post menopausal woman.

Please
or

awwbiscuits · 05/08/2022 22:30

I once illustrated for some famous hair brands, even did a live drawing event once. RIP old me Flowers

Please
or

something2say · 05/08/2022 22:31

I got a ride round the Outback delivering bulls to different stations. Ten days, 60 ton, fabulous old Outback character, absolutely breathtaking scenery from the cabin high up. Broad Australian accent 'yes ya do fukin run over cattle, when they run out. This thing takes two miles ta stop. Sometimes they don't bladdy die!'

Please
or

CrowFriend · 05/08/2022 22:33

@Qik wow, please tell us more if you feel comfortable doing so? No worries if not. Well done in any case.

Please
or

OverrunWithPigeons · 05/08/2022 22:35

I used to work for a company that did R&D into ballistic textiles. We had Home Office licence to have and use prohibited weapons. I've fired every weapon you can name. I would be on the firing range all afternoon firing uzis etc then go and pick my daughter up from primary school, chatting to other parents about the school fete. They never knew what I did for work. My DC are adults now and joke about when I worked as a hired assassin!

Please
or

Russell19 · 05/08/2022 22:37

Feels rubbish compared to everyone else, but i swam with sharks in South Africa, without a cage.

Please
or

MarmiteCoriander · 05/08/2022 22:39

Don't think its actually cool, but:

• I won the women's downhill ski slalom at uni
  • Employee of the month within 3mths of starting a professional career- 1st employee to ever do that in their 1st year apparently!
  • Semi pro dancer in the day and worked with some known 'stars'
  • Working in my main job, I've worked with multiple 'celebrities' from politicians, to singers and film stars.
Please
or

Cocolapew · 05/08/2022 22:43

Had an argument with Courtney Love backstage at a Nirvana concert.

Please
or

RaininSummer · 05/08/2022 22:47

I won a regional poker championship against mainly blokes which made it quite satisfying. Felt quite cool at the time.

Please
or

surreygirl1987 · 05/08/2022 22:50

I don't know if anyone would consider this 'cool' but I was once a background dancer in a music video for a famous girl band. I was also once a lifeguard on a very famous beach.

But I'm actually the biggest nerd alive 😁

Please
or

teaandtoastwithmarmite · 05/08/2022 22:52

Probably not that cool but when I was 15 I did work experience at a press agency and we got to sit in court every day and report on real life cases. It felt very cool when I was that age!

Please
or

Crochetandcoke · 05/08/2022 22:57

Twice I have had people make films about my life. Their predictions I would be famous have not come into fruition (yet) but it's still cool.

Please
or

Crochetandcoke · 05/08/2022 22:59

A series of interviews with somebody else, was also around a third of their masters, and I was the inspiration for their thesis.

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 05/08/2022 23:00

I drank tea in a mud hut in Africa. Maybe not "cool" but not typically an every day occurance.

Please
or

Chelsea26 · 05/08/2022 23:04

These are all cool!! Some of them are sooooo cool!

It’s fun to think back on your youth isn’t it?

A supplier of mine was in a Duran duran video in speedos - maybe danced with some of you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

hartof · 05/08/2022 23:05

I won Harry styles tickets on the radio and my DD14 thinks I am the best mum ever!

Please
or

TheBestBitch · 05/08/2022 23:12

I’ve had a wine tasting in the government wine cellars, which are awesome

I’ve been inside an MI5 building which involved handing over everything including phones and being screened and scanned through multiple rooms and cameras

I’ve been to several film premieres and walked the red carpet

I’ve met several famous people including Sol Campbell

Please
or

Natsku · 05/08/2022 23:15

I was invited to a documentary screening at the national TV studios (equivalent of BBC in my country), one of those free champagne kind of events, and they had me stand up in the audience for everyone to applaud me (which was excruciatingly embarrassing) and a famous (in my country) hiphop artist posed for a picture with me to post on his instagram.

I won a regional poker championship against mainly blokes which made it quite satisfying. Felt quite cool at the time.
That is cool! I got quite far in a countrywide poker tournament once and felt pretty cool, especially as I got further than my partner at the time who was the one to introduce me to poker.

Please
or

Blossomtoes · 05/08/2022 23:24

I did a skydive to celebrate my 60th birthday. And I worked for Clive Sinclair in the 80s.

Please
or

SilentBob · 05/08/2022 23:31

I sold a go-kart to Bobby Ball...

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.