Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Shit - I weigh 14 stone

walkersareback · 05/08/2022 10:39

I am 5 foot tall. I have always struggled with my weight and since Covid I've not even bothered to weigh myself. The last time I did weigh myself I was 12 stone seven. Today I decided to see what I weighed as I have had a couple of busy weeks. Shock is an understatement. !

I have been in denial about my weight – blaming it on menopause and other hormonal issues. I obviously need to get a grip for my health at the very least. Have any of you successfully lost around four stone and kept it off.

Could you please share how you did it and provide any advice/help. Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

MyHouseMyToughRules · 05/08/2022 11:30

OP I have just had the same shock after being weighed at an appointment. Annoyingly, I’ve been dieting and I’m still 14st and your height too. I’m really down about it.

I am due AF and I put on around 6lbs when due so I hope I at least have lost something.

I don’t feel I ‘look’ awfully big but I may be in denial.

Please
or

walkersareback · 05/08/2022 11:34

Thank you for your reply. I don't feel so big day to day but my jeans have definitely got tighter but it's the photos - the camera never lies in my case. I have bought a copy of Slimming World magazine for inspiration.
Fingers crossed you drop a few pounds when your period comes.

Just being nosy - you say you are dieting - what are you doing and is it manageable?

OP's posts:
Please
or

MyHouseMyToughRules · 05/08/2022 11:36

I feel the same with photos. I look huge! And I feel huge at times.

I do OMAD fasting (one meal per day) ; it’s not for everyone but I find it relatively easy.

Please
or

FMLpassthegin · 05/08/2022 11:36

Cut your sugar intake, reduce your portion sizes, up your protein, eat 'clean', load up on leafy veg and start strength training to boost your metabolism.

Please
or

If you want to buddy up on a weight loss journey , we could tackle it together?

Please
or

Allmarbleslost · 05/08/2022 11:37

I weigh 17 stone. I'm having one more crack at losing at least 4 stone. In the meantime I'm researching weight loss surgery. I'm planning to eat healthy meals, reduce alcohol and snacks and walk more.

Please
or

walkersareback · 05/08/2022 11:40

FMLpassthegin · 05/08/2022 11:36

Cut your sugar intake, reduce your portion sizes, up your protein, eat 'clean', load up on leafy veg and start strength training to boost your metabolism.

Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

walkersareback · 05/08/2022 11:41

Allmarbleslost · 05/08/2022 11:37

I weigh 17 stone. I'm having one more crack at losing at least 4 stone. In the meantime I'm researching weight loss surgery. I'm planning to eat healthy meals, reduce alcohol and snacks and walk more.

Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

MintJulia · 05/08/2022 11:41

My closest friend has lost 3 stone since Xmas by cutting out alcohol, caffeine, bread, pasta and by cutting out almost all meat.
She home cooks and eats mostly fish, eggs, cheese and veg of every variety. She walks for an hour 3 evenings a week.

She looks fabulous 😊 and less stressed.

She has another 2 stone to go.

Please
or

walkersareback · 05/08/2022 11:42

If you want to buddy up on a weight loss journey , we could tackle it together?

We could definitely try. Happy to post what I eat/drink /weigh on this thread. Is that ok with you?

OP's posts:
Please
or

walkersareback · 05/08/2022 11:43

MintJulia · 05/08/2022 11:41

My closest friend has lost 3 stone since Xmas by cutting out alcohol, caffeine, bread, pasta and by cutting out almost all meat.
She home cooks and eats mostly fish, eggs, cheese and veg of every variety. She walks for an hour 3 evenings a week.

She looks fabulous 😊 and less stressed.

She has another 2 stone to go.

That's fantastic- well done to her - thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

MyHouseMyToughRules · 05/08/2022 11:43

@walkersareback let’s do it 😊

Please
or

MyHouseMyToughRules · 05/08/2022 11:44

@walkersareback I will be starting back on Sunday . My plan is all over the place at the moment as I need food on my stomach to take a course of antibiotics otherwise I am very sick .

Please
or

walkersareback · 05/08/2022 11:45

Ok - had two cups of tea - not a breakfast girl - will be having baked potato, salad and beans for lunch. Am at my sister's and she is making lunch in return for me babysitting her children

OP's posts:
Please
or

Wafflesnsniffles · 05/08/2022 11:47

Hello - Im almost the same height and weight and age but Ive known for years........ can I join in......... I need some major motivation!

Please
or

walkersareback · 05/08/2022 12:02

Wafflesnsniffles · 05/08/2022 11:47

Hello - Im almost the same height and weight and age but Ive known for years........ can I join in......... I need some major motivation!

Of course

OP's posts:
Please
or

Chewbecca · 05/08/2022 12:16

I am a few llbs shy of your weight and the same height too, and age by the sound of it - 50 this year so I do empathise.
I have not been in the losing weight zone for some time, it's just one more thing to think about which is too tiring. If I could just shrink 1 stone by the end of the year, I would be thrilled. Obviously 4 is what is needed but 1 would be make me feel better and might inspire me to continue to 2.

I don't want to give up whole lists of food though as mentioned by a PP, that sounds downright miserable and people who eat like that always seem obsessed and can't think or talk about anything else. If the cutting out makes me miserable or life awkward or hard work that's not going to last.

What I can do is reduce my portions, make better choices (Boulanger potatoes instead of dauphinoise on the menu this weekend!) and try to start moving - this is the biggest challenge for me, I am very sedentary and have painful joints which puts me off doing a lot. Swimming is my friend. I should restart that next week.

Please
or

MsTSwift · 05/08/2022 12:17

Intermittent fasting is very effective in peri menopause what I did.
Follow Michael Mosley.
Read Downsizing by Tom Watson.
Don’t eat til lunchtime.
Don’t eat after dinner. Then you don’t eat for 16 hours
Eat meals on smaller plates.
Cut out snacks and booze in the week.
Do cardio exercise most mornings online YouTube Apple fitness or get exercise bike.
Lost 2 stone doing this (12 st to 10 am 5 6) and kept it off. If in doubt don’t eat is my internal mantra. Think you need less food as you age sadly!

Please
or

MsTSwift · 05/08/2022 12:19

Doing the above means I still eat nice food only less of it. Not sustainable to deprive yourself. Didn’t change what I ate just reduced portion size and meal frequency and upped exercise.

Please
or

unicornsarereal72 · 05/08/2022 12:20

This was me at the beginning of the year. I've spent all my life yo-yo dieting.
I'm 50 this year and decided to be more proactive. I've joined a small ladies running group. I'm no runner. We walk and run some. This is for 30 mins twice. Week. And then I just started being more mindful about my eating. This moved into calorie counting and some intermittent fasting but I just do what I feel is ok each day. Not been perfect at all but now three stone down and half a stone to go.

Please
or

kawa · 05/08/2022 12:21

I might get flamed for this but I’ve lost a couple of stone over 3 months doing the Slimfast shakes for breakfast and lunch, 3 pieces of fruit and an ordinary dinner AND this is key, at LEAST 2 litres of water a day, no alcohol. I let loose a wee bit at the weekend though 🍷🫣☺️

Please
or

walkersareback · 05/08/2022 12:33

Thank you for all your replies. It is very much appreciated.

I already seem to be falling off the bandwagon I've managed to sneak a bit of cheese and a couple of rice crackers before my lunch. I need to get my snacking under control.

OP's posts:
Please
or

teaandtoastwithmarmite · 05/08/2022 12:33

Hi can I join please? I had this. Weighed 14 stone. Lost 3 stone. Knew u had put some back on but was shocked to be 13stone 10. Have now lingered around that weight for about a year. Started going to gym and bmi on scales there said I was obese. Sometimes I see a picture of myself and can't believe how fat I look. 5'5"

Please
or

MrsJBaptiste · 05/08/2022 12:44

I'm 5ft 9, weigh 10st 7 and do the following to keep my weight in check:

• Only eat between 12-8pm
  • Stick to 1,500 calories a day (TDEE is 2,200)
  • Drink 2.5 litres of water a day
  • Gym 4 times a week (running 10-15 miles)

I'm 45 so need all the above just to keep at a decent weight 😬
Please
or

Purplepeoniesdroppingpetals · 05/08/2022 12:46

I’m joining you if that’s ok - I’m taller but still need to lose some weight (gulp 4 stone) and you seem a nice bunch. Anyone on hrt as I’m about to start that?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.