Still Blue, Still Stocking: The Bluestocking remains open in 2021

(988 Posts)
ErrolTheDragon Fri 25-Jun-21 14:06:44

I've nicked a title, opened the door, dusted off the bar.

Come in and drown your sorrows, celebrate or just hang out in good company.

OP’s posts: |
ArabellaScott Fri 25-Jun-21 14:20:50

BOOM! [throws door open so hard it bounces off the wall]

Behold. It is Friday. Let the wine be plentiful and the afternoon short.

grin

Outbutnotoutout Fri 25-Jun-21 14:22:54

Oooo shuffles in....looks around

What's all this then 🤔 pulls up a chair

OwBist Fri 25-Jun-21 15:04:21

I feel like we're definitely more Beach Bar with happy cocktails, than desperate, solitary drinking in the Mended Drum, now....

SelfPortraitWithEels Fri 25-Jun-21 16:02:06

Hello! I an taking advantage of the fact that this is a virtual space to order a cocktail I have invented in honour of JdW. It's called a Heretic and it's like a Cherry Blossom but with added creme de rose and creme de violet - about as floral as I can make it. Cheers!

mollythemeerkat Fri 25-Jun-21 16:04:41

Vipers vodka - is that a thing?

SelfPortraitWithEels Fri 25-Jun-21 16:08:49

Is it like having worms in tequila?

Advertisement

ArabellaScott Fri 25-Jun-21 16:09:18

Viper gin?

viperspirit.co.uk/

Or this sour apple liqueur, which looks pretty revolting tbh:

www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/3337/viper-liqueur

lazylinguist Fri 25-Jun-21 16:25:40

<peers in nervously> I hang about on the Feminism board (or whatever it's called now wink) quite a lot these days and have often passed by the door of the Bluestocking, intrigued, but hesitant about coming in...

Mine's a large Sauv Blanc. <sits in a quiet corner>

EmbarrassingAdmissions Fri 25-Jun-21 16:40:30

I have had one of those days:

a man helpfully assumes that I don't understand how to use an assistive technology that I use for ca. 10hrs a day and that he's never had to use;

a different man offers me authorship on a paper for which he's in no position to offer me authorship as he should be neither the primary nor corresponding author;

a man who didn't have the courtesy to check my research/publications in an area literally asked me if I'd thought to consult [X] report for which I was the author;

I can't mention the remainder of the aggravating items because they're confidential and I abide by Nolan;

and that's all in the last 2 hours.

I'll have a large one of whatever is acceptable in this magical timezone please.

SelfPortraitWithEels Fri 25-Jun-21 16:43:11

A pint of scumble for Embarrassing, I think.

SpringCrocus Fri 25-Jun-21 16:49:54

Can I join you, please? Been dealing with a very woke colleague all afternoon hmm No I won't put my pronouns on my emails, thank you all the same!
🙄
Large G and T for me, please.

ArabellaScott Fri 25-Jun-21 16:55:19

a man who didn't have the courtesy to check my research/publications in an area literally asked me if I'd thought to consult [X] report for which I was the author;

grin

highame Fri 25-Jun-21 16:58:58

Yaayyy and we're back. Anything embarrassing wants so long as it's a drink. Welcome Lazy and any other lurkers, as we settle in to the warm sunlight that has been shining on the vipers for a little while now. I'll have a fruit salad draped in Vodka with a Chablis chaser (I'm in for the long haul)

highame Fri 25-Jun-21 17:00:34

p.s. thanks for opening up Errol

SpindleWhorl Fri 25-Jun-21 17:09:18

Hello. I am still getting used the idea of The Great Schism wine

SpindleWhorl Fri 25-Jun-21 17:09:46

Or possibly Not So Great Schism.

Thelnebriati Fri 25-Jun-21 17:17:16

I'm going to have an Irish coffee in honour of the Great Schism, it being a drink of two opposite halves.

JustcameoutGC Fri 25-Jun-21 17:21:36

Ooooh, I am new in these parts, but I hear there are goats and cannons. Can I come in? I may be in need of a beverage as u have once again kicked the hornets nest in work...

Thelnebriati Fri 25-Jun-21 17:27:00

JustcameoutGC Welcome aboard! Roister up to the bar and announce the tipple of your choice, then pick a chair.

lazylinguist Fri 25-Jun-21 17:28:14

I fortunately have no hornet's nests to kick at work. Just a small one at home (which I carefully hoover around), in the shape of two ex-JKR-fan teenagers.

CardinalLolzy Fri 25-Jun-21 17:29:57

I feel like you get a special prize for this situation? It's the original, ground-zero of Mansplaining.

SpringCrocus Fri 25-Jun-21 17:30:43

Oh goddess yes, I have a early twenties ex JKR fan, ultra woke DD🙄
Handle with extreme care.

lazylinguist Fri 25-Jun-21 17:37:36

Exactly, @SpringCrocus. Mine is nearly 16, stubborn as a mule and has inculcated her 13yo brother. They'll come around... probably.... eventually. That'll be another large glass of dry white for me please.

TheWeeDonkey Fri 25-Jun-21 17:41:43

Ooh I've not been here before. Cocktails don't really agree with me but I'll have a large Pinot thanks 🍷

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in