Talk

Advanced search

Anyone watching "The Letdown" on Netflix.

(76 Posts)
welshmist Mon 23-Apr-18 19:06:57

Brilliantly funny and thought provoking, such talented scripts and great acting. The SAHM scene was fantastic. Am gutted I am already on episode 6.

www.imdb.com/title/tt7320300/

welshmist Mon 23-Apr-18 19:07:35

Sorry synopsis

New mother Audrey is having a hard time adjusting to motherhood. Exhausted, struggling to breastfeed and lacking support from her husband, her selfish and flighty mother, and friends who don't invite her out clubbing, she turns to a new mothers group. What she finds is a mixed bag of women and one man who are all in the same boat. Together they are united by their horror birth stories, sleepless nights and loss of identity. The letdown is a humorous yet truthful insight into new parenthood, a must watch that will make you reminisce and cry at the same time.

elefunk Mon 23-Apr-18 19:16:46

Watching it right now, love it! grin

KellyMarieTunstall2 Mon 23-Apr-18 21:58:13

I watched the first episode tonight, really enjoyed it.

TalkFastThinkSlow Mon 23-Apr-18 21:59:50

I watched the first episode on my commute this morning. So many things resonated with me! I thought it was really well handled, and amusing. I have tomorrow off so will probably end up finishing it grin

wheretoyougonow Tue 24-Apr-18 07:45:10

Thank you so much for recommending this. I needed a new programme and I love it. Managed 3 episodes last night. Hope they make another series.

welshmist Tue 24-Apr-18 12:57:58

ABC in Australia apparently have a habit of binning programmes e.g. Doctor Blake Mysteries, so I am hoping Netflix pick it up and run with this.

Fattynoms02 Tue 24-Apr-18 13:53:14

2 episodes in and finding it hilarious!! Through so much of it, me and my husband were saying yep that was us!

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 24-Apr-18 13:57:40

No but I'm planning to watch it after I've finished watching Love (which I've been absolutely loving!). Only just saw it on my netflix homepage the other day, hadn't heard of it before (the let down). The title alone made me smile.

pastabest Tue 24-Apr-18 14:04:23

I'm about 10 mins in to the first episode and can already tell i'm going to like it.

Canwejustrelaxnow Tue 24-Apr-18 14:07:07

I think it's intelligent and spot on, but it leaves me feeling a bit down!

Usuallytootiredbuthappyanyway Tue 24-Apr-18 14:08:10

Thank you for the recommendation - I marathoned the whole series last night!

alwaysthepessimist Tue 24-Apr-18 14:09:47

oh thanks for the recommendation, I am desperate to find something to watch

pastabest Tue 24-Apr-18 14:25:11

I agree Can I've just finished the first episode and almost feel a bit tearful but I'm not entirely sure why because its nothing to do with the actual storyline which is definitely funny.

Possibly just that it really 'gets' that relentlessness of early motherhood.

NumberFrame Tue 24-Apr-18 19:01:05

I’m going to give it a go tonight while Dh is watching football

MrsFantastic Wed 25-Apr-18 15:21:19

I've just watched to the end of season 1. I hope there'll be a season 2. I thought it was much better than that Graham Linehan/Sharon Horgan motherhood show (I can't remember the name). It was realistic and the lead character is likeable. I really recommend it.

My youngest child is 10 so the baby days are long gone for me, but it reminded me of what it was like, eg. having a night off so you can sleep and then getting woken up by your swollen breasts.

Canwejustrelaxnow Wed 25-Apr-18 15:49:47

pastabest yes but also her life is pretty shitty. Everyone is so mean to her. I think we need to see her regaining some ground and having at least some positive things happen to her! I haven't finished it yet so maybe she does rebel. Doesn't touch Catastrophe though which is my fave.

welshmist Wed 25-Apr-18 15:58:28

I remember running into a glamorous childless friend with OH, he remarked innocently, how great she looked, I was wearing a maternity top I had made two years previously not because I was still fat but because I had nothing else to wear that day. I cried because he had not thought I needed money for clothes. He was mortified and gave me money for a new wardrobe. Well I bought some nice outfits for myself, albeit from Asda. I think we go through this selfless tunnel, our needs are at the bottom of the pile for a time.

Flamingobaby37 Wed 25-Apr-18 18:23:12

Thank you! Just finished it after seeing this thread. Brilliant and so relatable. Any other recommendations?

FellOutOfBed2wice Wed 25-Apr-18 18:27:38

This sounds great- have put it on my list.

kangar00 Wed 25-Apr-18 20:32:50

Oh no I'm on episode 6. Is that he end?! It's really good.

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 26-Apr-18 08:57:34

Pleeeeease don’t tell me it’s only 6 episodes!! I bloody hate when they do that. I swear an average series was like 12 episodes. Me and DH watched the first few episodes the other day, laughed a LOT! He’s home from a work trip tonight so hopefully watch some more smile

Knitjob Thu 26-Apr-18 08:59:42

I really enjoyed it and it was really funny. But also left me feeling a bit sad too. It just took me right back to those early days. They were so so hard.

greystripedteepee Thu 26-Apr-18 13:00:49

"Last nights carbonara was made with breast milk because I couldn't be fucked to go to the shop"

IlikemyTeahot Thu 26-Apr-18 13:01:51

I'm only on episode 2 loving the reality but leaving this thread for fear of spoilers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: